Hybrid plug in owners keep unplugging me

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esounds

This has happened to me twice now. The first time I had driven 60 miles to a lecture, plugged in parked and walked 20 mins to the lecture hall only to have my leaf txt me that it had been unplugged 30 mins later. SO I had to leave the lecture in the middle go back and plug in my car. By the time I got back I had missed a major portion of the lecture and didn't have enough charge to get home. Worried that someone would unplug me again I had to sit in my car waiting for it to charge enough so I could get home.

The second time was last night, luckily I had just enough juice to get home.

These people are total inconsiderate a#)@!#@#'s has anyone found a way to secure the plug in the outlet so idiots can't unplug them? First I had range anxiety and got over that, now I have hybrid owner unplug anxiety.

I know the 2013's have the ability to lock the connector in the receptacle until it's done charging. Don't know if the '11's and '12's have that option.

--G

We have a 2011, but I believe that starting in MY12 Nissan added a feature that electronically locks the J1772 nozzle to the car until charging is complete. The button on the interior lower left console allows you to select the desired locking option. Of course, you can always take the direct approach and put a luggage padlock through the hole in the button on the J1772 nozzle...

And it's an electronic lock on the '13's. Activated from a button to the left of the steering wheel. It automatically releases when the car is done charging.

--G

esounds said:
Ah I didn't know there was a hole, great... I will go get a padlock thanks!

There only units i know to have the padlock hole are the Yazaki ones (Chargepoint, etc...). Others may or may not, so YMMV. I use the Master Lock 630D combination lock. Be sure to return to your car and unlock it as soon as you have enough charge/charge has completed.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6668#p147252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
esounds said:
Ah I didn't know there was a hole, great... I will go get a padlock thanks!

There only units i know to have the padlock hole are the Yazaki ones (Chargepoint, etc...). Others may or may not, so YMMV. I use the Master Lock 630D combination lock. Be sure to return to your car and unlock it as soon as you have enough charge/charge has completed.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6668#p147252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This may not be elegant, but it works for all J1772 plugs.
It will not actually keep someone from unplugging you, but It sends the message, and with the door closed on the plug, it is not immediately obvious that you could still unplug it.
You will not remove the plug without seriously damaging the car, which will be caught in full 1080 HDMI by my semi-obvious windshield mounted motion activated dash-cam.

As suggested, plan on unplugging when you are done.
Finding this arrangement on a PIP that was long done charging when I needed a charge would piss me off.

pluglock.jpg

Just stick a sign on the charge door that says "Please do not unplug until charging is complete and dash lights are not blinking".

davewill said:
mwalsh said:
Battery powered rotary tool with a cutoff wheel.
But that requires premeditation, not mere asshattery.

You say premeditation..... I say preparedness.

I like to be prepared.

Just stick a sign on the charge door that says "Please do not unplug until charging is complete and dash lights are not blinking".

I like your... Optimism!

gmikol said:
And it's an electronic lock on the '13's. Activated from a button to the left of the steering wheel. It automatically releases when the car is done charging.

--G

I still have a year left on my lease, but will definitely be getting a '14, I'm looking forward to this feature.

esounds said:
gmikol said:

--G

I still have a year left on my lease, but will definitely be getting a '14, I'm looking forward to this feature.
Sometimes I wonder if the reason we have awareness is to transcend? Anyway...

Meanwhile, yeah, I'd like to have the locking feature on my MY11... Wasn't there some kind of port boot accessory that did the same thing only available in Japan?

I was only unplugged once when I needed a charge, read the email, and caught the person in the act as he was leaving. He claimed to misunderstand the lights on the dash. I sipped 45 minute charge, and headed out thereafter.

I just but black dirty grease all over the plug when I had mine at work (when I could charge), I then had a bag and gloves for handling my plug.

JimSouCal said:
Wasn't there some kind of port boot accessory that did the same thing only available in Japan?
Just a handful were imported by individuals at a cost close to $350....
I have one but it would have to be close to that price to let it go.
Designed to work with oem evse. Can't speak for others.

gmikol said:

Unfortunately, if you elect to charge to 100%, I find the lock will not release until about two hours after meaningful charging is completed.

Let's say I need to top off from 79% to 100%. The actual charging will take 50 minutes, then there will be about two hours of balancing until the LEAF considers the charging event complete.

Berlino said:
gmikol said:

Unfortunately, if you elect to charge to 100%, I find the lock will not release until about two hours after meaningful charging is completed.

Let's say I need to top off from 79% to 100%. The actual charging will take 50 minutes, then there will be about two hours of balancing until the LEAF considers the charging event complete.

Yesss..
I have talked to a lot of people who have had a variety of problems with the very willful MY'13 electronic plug lock.
No thanks.

Berlino said:

That's ridiculous! That's twice in two days I'm glad I bought v1.0 of the Leaf.

While I don't begrudge these plugin-hybrid people their DESIRE to run as much electric as possible, unplugging a pure EV that is still charging is just plain rude. :evil:

Back