Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I ever get straight and consistent answers from more than one person at Nissan, yes...

greenleaf said:
Just had a chat with the friendly rep from Nissan Leaf line. I understand that there is now a software patch for the issue related to the climate control. Is anyone thinking of getting it applied?

greenleaf said:
Just had a chat with the friendly rep from Nissan Leaf line. I understand that there is now a software patch for the issue related to the climate control. Is anyone thinking of getting it applied?

No, not on a car that doesn't appear to be experiencing the problem in the first place. Learned that lesson from 25 years in IT - if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

mwalsh said:
greenleaf said:

No, not on a car that doesn't appear to be experiencing the problem in the first place. Learned that lesson from 25 years in IT - if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!
But if I wait for the issue to surface first, then the driver could be inconvenienced with a car toll -- not sure if I would like that. On the other hand, the patch can be applied at a time convenient to me.

greenleaf said:
But if I wait for the issue to surface first, then the driver could be inconvenienced with a car toll -- not sure if I would like that. On the other hand, the patch can be applied at a time convenient to me.

Well that is the other thing that was on my mind....trying to break it at a time convenient for me. I mean, I say my car isn't experiencing the problem, but then I haven't tried to pre-cool yet.

I am going to try and pre cool on my day off so I will not be late for work. :lol:

I do not think my car is in the group of bad software.

Hear is a thought mwalsh. If are cars where first and do not have this bud what where they changing that we do not have?

Gonewild said:
I am going to try and pre cool on my day off so I will not be late for work. :lol:

I do not think my car is in the group of bad software.

Hear is a thought mwalsh. If are cars where first and do not have this bud what where they changing that we do not have?

beta test for climate package?

mwalsh said:
Gonewild said:

Well, that is the second rule of IT upgrades....only upgrade if there is a tangible benefit for doing so.
The only problem with this way of thinking is that you're assuming you can tell when you need the upgrade. My experience in IT is to keep everything as up-to-date as possible and be proactive instead of reactive to minimize failures in the future...

I should also note that I'll be contacting my dealer mid-May regarding this "update" if they don't contact me first. I want to give them a few weeks since I expect more "updates" will be needed by summer...

greenleaf said:

Does that mean, deliveries of LEAFs has started again ? If that's the case, Nissan dodged a big bullet. I don't think anyone outside this forum is aware of this issue.

shoot...add me to the list of victim. (well I don't know if it is AC related, but I have the red and orange warning light plus the EV! light on) Calling nissan roadside assistance and my local dealer right now (Even though my car is safely in the garage)

lettcco said:
shoot...add me to the list of victim. (well I don't know if it is AC related, but I have the red and orange warning light plus the EV! light on) Calling nissan roadside assistance and my local dealer right now (Even though my car is safely in the garage)
A number of people have gotten back on the road by disconnecting the 12v battery for ten minutes. Might be less hassle than a tow.

davewill said:
lettcco said:
A number of people have gotten back on the road by disconnecting the 12v battery for ten minutes. Might be less hassle than a tow.

Thanks, good to know. Tow truck was quick to come by though and already dropped it off at valencia nissan.

Here a snap of the warning light icon on the dash board:
XDBay.jpg

Just a quick update, after 3 A/C discharge/recharges and a software update, things are good. I picked up my car on Saturday after the software update and so far, she's been running like a champ. I hope this is really it.

azdre said:
Just a quick update, after 3 A/C discharge/recharges and a software update, things are good. I picked up my car on Saturday after the software update and so far, she's been running like a champ. I hope this is really it.
Good to hear. From the latest series of discussions, it seems the software update, rather than the AC charge status, is the fix. Glad you're back on the road. :)

I'm back in business as well - and for the record, I didn't pre-cool at all - just had the AC up since it was a million degrees in Phoenix on Friday.

I also did my first A/C test today after the software fix. Tried a cooling cycle after parking in the sun for lunch before driving. Worked like a charm. Hope this is it!!

Wow -- 42 pages to read before posting....

Well -- I was also hit by this issue. I live in Santa Cruz, CA, but I ordered through North Bay Nissan in Petaluma. Had to plan carefully to take the family up to visit friends who live about 3 miles from the dealer. So -- we're at the dealer on Saturday April 2, picking up the LEAF (traded in a 2004 Volvo V70). After about 3 hours of paperwork and stuff, we headed back to our friends place. Took them out for a quick drive, and then parked for 3 hours of trickle charge (1-4pm). Decided to take my daughters out for a quick spin too -- but 2 miles away, I decided to pull over for a moment, turning off the car. It wouldn't restart. Didn't use remote control -- just had air con active during the drive. VIN #716. QC option (but I don't believe it's related). Only got a total of 18 miles driving before I was stuck.

At least the flatbed back to the dealer was just 5 miles... Dealer has dealt with the issue today, so I'm hoping to get the car back real soon. They told me they want to replace the telematics unit also, but i know carwings was working fine on Saturday -- maybe that's just preventative.

Although I picked up on April 2, my car was actually delivered to the dealer on March 30 -- so I guess that's still just barely a "march delivery".

I have to say -- I've been treated very well by the dealer and the Nissan Customer Support folks. I have a high standard on that front -- I actually manage a team of people which investigates, writes and publishes the field recalls for (one third of) our company products. I think I've seen the same transparency and integrity from Nissan that I strive for in my team. (Yes, yes -- jokers will say that's zero -- but the point is that I see the vendor side of the situation too)

I know that for many of us on the board here, we think of ourselves as "early adopters" -- but I don't think Nissan is really trying to encourage that interpretation -- they really want a well built consumer product out of the LEAF. We shouldn't hold Nissan to lower standards -- we should push them forward to help them achieve the right level of product quality.

Michael

miku said:
We shouldn't hold Nissan to lower standards -- we should push them forward to help them achieve the right level of product quality.
Absolutely. If there's a problem, I expect it to get fixed in a timely fashion and I'm certainly not going to cut them any slack on that front. What I am willing to cut slack on is the expectation of zero problems. In a model line that's been on the market for decades with incremental, but proven technology - sure. In something so completely out of the norm as the LEAF, there's bound to be a few wrinkles. As long as they're on it, it will all come out in the wash. No doom & gloom here!

Back