Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
Here is some perspective, if Nissan can't fix issues to customer satisfaction in the warranty period with all they have invested in the LEAF they will no longer exist,[...]
How about this perspective: what if the GM Volt is reported to have a defect where the car would not start and requires a tow? What if the defect is reported a dozen times? What if it's a Toyota Prius? What if it's an ICE vehicle? No, it's a serious problem regardless of the vehicle it occurs in. This may turn out to be a trivial problem in its root cause as well as in its fix, but I don't see it as a trivial problem in behavior. We will have to disagree on that.

EVDRIVER said:
use logic and reason and worry about getting screwed on the capacity of the pack not items you have full recourse on.
I already did: "LEAF's 'gradual capacity loss NOT covered' battery warranty".

I must admit to surprise that this doesn't seem to have hit the blogosphere yet. Not to mention the "mainstream media". Though the same kind of issues could plague any new model car, it's certainly a juicy enough a story for the anti-EV crowd.

mwalsh said:
I must admit to surprise that this doesn't seem to have hit the blogosphere yet. Not to mention the "mainstream media". Though the same kind of issues could plague any new model car, it's certainly a juicy enough a story for the anti-EV crowd.
Those people may be too lazy/busy to wade through 40 pages of posts to find a story. So, keep adding posts to this thread!

That's what I find most surprising as well. I would have thought I'd be reading about it somewhere else by now... Perhaps this is an indication that EVs are becoming mainstream enough that they don't attract the attention they did a year ago? (Which would not necessarily be a bad thing.)

mwalsh said:

yes, just keep adding posts but soon it will be all over the web, and then more articles based on those articles and so on. Must be easy article to write and the public has the right you know....

aqn said:
EVDRIVER said:
Here is some perspective, if Nissan can't fix issues to customer satisfaction in the warranty period with all they have invested in the LEAF they will no longer exist,[...]
How about this perspective: what if the GM Volt is reported to have a defect where the car would not start and requires a tow? What if the defect is reported a dozen times? What if it's a Toyota Prius? What if it's an ICE vehicle? No, it's a serious problem regardless of the vehicle it occurs in. This may turn out to be a trivial problem in its root cause as well as in its fix, but I don't see it as a trivial problem in behavior. We will have to disagree on that.

EVDRIVER said:
use logic and reason and worry about getting screwed on the capacity of the pack not items you have full recourse on.
I already did: "LEAF's 'gradual capacity loss NOT covered' battery warranty".

No it's not trivial in behavior, I was almost stuck 80 miles from home on a Sunday. It's not a defect as of yet it's a software adjustment and things far worse than this happen to new cars and are fixed early on, these are the first hundred or so cars, I'm not saying it is not a bad issue but it appears to be a case of someone setting a parameter to error on safely, Look at the issues the Volts have had, far more serious than a software tweak. This does not appear to be a defective part, etc. What I am saying is people are blowing this out of proportion in other terms, it sucks but it is not like the motor is failing from poor design, etc and rumors are being spread bout the cause. I spoke to a dealer that has already had customers with the issue get their cars fixed via a software updated via a tech done remotely. The bigger issue are NIssan techs that don't know who to diagnose issues, I knew my issues before the tech did and even more accurately after they had the car. I still had to tell my dealer about this issue and they still are not ready to help, they dealers are not skilled enough yet as this is all new for them.

For owners that think the car will keep having this issue they will have recourse.

Herm said:
yes, just keep adding posts but soon it will be all over the web, and then more articles based on those articles and so on. Must be easy article to write and the public has the right you know....

What about all those Volt issues? How about the Tacomas that broke in half? I'm sure some can report on Gen 1 Prius issues. I would bet that the LEAF issues overall end up fewer than most cars but are reported more because of owners like those on this forum.

I still am curious and have not found an answer in 39 pages. Has anyone out there that does NOT have the QC option had this A/C-shut-down-the-car problem? :?: Thanks.

I sympathise completely with Leaf drivers who have fallen prey to this bug. Getting stranded is never fun, compounded that it is because of an e-glitch in the new car that you paid good money for.

That said, I try to put myself in Nissan's shoes for a minute.

New product, new(ish) tech, and something on the order of a billion dollars invested bringing the Leaf to market. I would (if I was Nissan) put in safeguards that would insure that bugs not found in-house would not cause the car to self-destruct. What if the overvoltage event were allowed to persist? How many drivers would not get immediate service and just drive around with master warning lights blazing? (before you answer that, I wouldn't either, however my wife (love you, honey!!) once drove for 2 days with the oil light on in a chevy product before "remembering" that this was bad). Would they have to start replacing hardware instead of the comparatively cheap fix of a software flash? Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't take that chance and would overprotect the car, at least initially, until all the bugs are found and dealt with. The fact that Nissan is working overtime trying to get this sorted IMO speaks volumes.
For us early adopters it can be frustrating, however I think on the other end of this we will have a better product because of it. I applaud Nissan's customers for having the pioneering spirit, and the guts, to take a chance on a product that I believe will be good for America, and for the world as a whole. It may not always be easy or convenient, but I think we should keep our eyes on the prize.
Our children will inherit what we do today, and I would do anything for my child.

Rake said:
...That said, I try to put myself in Nissan's shoes for a minute. ...
Hear hear!

Within a week, they had what appears to be a solid fix. It's been not quite a week and a half since the first report. All this with the disruptions caused by the disasters.

I think a few people around here really need to take a chill pill.

davewill said:
Rake said:
...That said, I try to put myself in Nissan's shoes for a minute. ...
Hear hear!

Within a week, they had what appears to be a solid fix. It's been not quite a week and a half since the first report. All this with the disruptions caused by the disasters.

I think a few people around here really need to take a chill pill.

+1 lets keep this all in perspective. Looks like the posts in the last day are seeing cooler heads prevail.

I agree that Nissan's technical response was excellent - fix ready for customers in less than a week. And in general I'm amazed that this is the first common bug that has come up. Really, this is a Beta product at this point in it's life cycle. I'm impressed by the quality control at this point.

I will fault Nissan on the customer communication front. Re-assurance/updates to affected owners shouldn't lag the fix. Either thru CS or the dealer, affected owners should have had official communication on the issue by now. There doesn't appear to be a customer communication process on early adopter problems that matches the technical remediation process. I'm not going to blame this on lawyers, early communication to affected owners doesn't need to be definitive, just an acknowledgment that there is a problem,that they are working on it, and what the owner should or shouldn't do in the interim. When it is obvious there is a real problem, silence is the worst option.

charlie1300 said:
I will fault Nissan on the customer communication front.
Either thru CS or the dealer, affected owners should have had official communication on the issue by now. There doesn't appear to be a customer communication process on early adopter problems that matches the technical remediation process.

I'd think that CarWings would be a decent way to communicate too. Why not use it to pop up a message to let you know that your car requires service and suggest you set up an appointment?

This is essentially what OnStar does - but the web interface isn't built right into car.

+1 to Rake and +1 to charlie1300. Though I DO understand Nissan's reluctance to say anything which could be used against them later in court. Admit nothing, until you KNOW. But I don't like it. We're all early adopters, likely very technical, and it's in our nature to speculate and troubleshoot on our own in the absence of solid information. A little "we're working on it, stay tuned" would go a LOOOOOONG way. I don't know if I risk getting stranded somewhere or not because of this. If I do, that's fine, I accept that risk when buying new tech, but I would like to now about it so I can modify my behavior (keep close to home, make sure to carry tools, whatever) until the problem is resolved. THAT is my ONLY concern in all this.

ERG4ALL said:
I still am curious and have not found an answer in 39 pages. Has anyone out there that does NOT have the QC option had this A/C-shut-down-the-car problem? :?: Thanks.

I seriously doubt the QC option has any bearing on this. Since most people have this option, you might have difficulty in locating someone without the port that has the problem.

Keep in mind the contactor is OPEN that feeds the QC port until a valid CHAdeMO charger is connected!

-Phil

I think we need to remember that quality is ongoing. Sure putting it together the right way the first time is important but that is only the beginning. Remember kaisan (sp) is only improvement which is the ability to change to a better way at any time.

What it really boils down to is what Nissan does now. So far they seem to have it all under control. Only time can really tell

Just had a chat with the friendly rep from Nissan Leaf line. I understand that there is now a software patch for the issue related to the climate control. Is anyone thinking of getting it applied?

greenleaf said:
Just had a chat with the friendly rep from Nissan Leaf line. I understand that there is now a software patch for the issue related to the climate control. Is anyone thinking of getting it applied?
My car was in for an iPod issue yesterday and I had them apply the patch then. Of course, I haven't had the problem in the first place so I don't know if it's really fixed or not! :lol:

Back