Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone determined if there is a way to see what software ("firmware") version is loaded in the car? Would be interesting to track this info...

From my service ticket:

Perform EV/HEV C/U reprogram as per Nissan techline

old p/n: 237D0-6NA0B
new p/n: 237D0-6NA0C

aries said:
Has anyone determined if there is a way to see what software ("firmware") version is loaded in the car? Would be interesting to track this info...
I don't remember exactly where it is, but there is a screen that will show you the firmware version...

Considering the circumstances, I think Nissan's response if quite good.

Loosly translated, I think it says that they are still trying to find the real cause of the problem, and they are not saying that a firmware "patch" is a fix or a cure.

Most likely the patch just masks the problem until Nissan can identify the real cause and engineer a proper fix.

GeekEV said:
aries said:
I don't remember exactly where it is, but there is a screen that will show you the firmware version...

It sure would be nice to find out how to view this and maybe put it in the spreadsheet or so.. might give an idea of what cars are affected with this issue and so on. Also good for tracking when and how frequently Nissan makes updates...

jlaw99 said:
smkettner said:
If you are concerned I would suggest testing your vehicle before you take delivery. I am trying to assume the fix will be done at the port.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3139&start=440

What is the procedure for testing for the AC "bug"? Is there a step by step in the thread? If not, it would be great to have one we could follow. Also, how is there a way to tell if the fix or update or whatever has been applied to the leaf (to address the AC "bug") ? Anyone? Thanks!

Can someone help jlaw99. This post was from April Delivery thread.

smkettner said:
If you are concerned I would suggest testing your vehicle before you take delivery. I am trying to assume the fix will be done at the port.

I have a feeling that's at least one of the reasons the Nissan engineer stationed at Connell was called to the port yesterday, instead of him going to the OCC Green Day event.

garygid said:
Considering the circumstances, I think Nissan's response if quite good.

Loosly translated, I think it says that they are still trying to find the real cause of the problem, and they are not saying that a firmware "patch" is a fix or a cure.

Most likely the patch just masks the problem until Nissan can identify the real cause and engineer a proper fix.

I'm not sure it's a patch, the value is very sensitive and it is not a surprise it would cause such an error without a real hardware issue, the same value on a Prius would likely result in the same issue.

OK, there could be two different problems.

Apparently some cars work fine and others suffer, and there is not any way (known to us) to determine which we have.

If the highly-sensitive reading was new, and the ONLY problem, we would all have fixes by now.

The Nissan engineers are bright people, and it appears that they are still looking for the root cause on these "affected" cars.

Azrich said:
kolmstead said:
EV, I'd agree, except that I was talking with my dealer an hour ago, and he has heard NOTHING from Nissan. The only info he has came from me, back when MNL members first began reporting the problem. I can understand Nissan not notifying every LEAF owner about the problem, but why aren't they telling the dealers?

-Karl

I phoned my LEAF service tech at my PD today to ask about a possible software update. I was the third one on MNL to report my LEAF not starting after using the pre-cool feature. After a 25 mile tow and a day being analyzed and repaired, I expected he had heard from Nissan about the update. He has not been told anything yet. He said I would probably find out more on the net than he would be told. Again, I'm feeling that Tucson LEAFs and dealers are being forgotten. Dealers in S. California are contacting their LEAF owners and even being proactive.

Can anyone who has had the updated software installed tell me how long this takes. Is this a day-long repair, a few hours, or under an hour? Do I stay at the dealer or go home?

This is my beef - two dealers have no clue about this problem and get their info from MNL members. Another dealer, Connell in Costa Mesa is fully informed, has the fix, and has started his own recall for his customers. This is really unacceptable for a Corp response. THe Nissan response to Mwalsh would be acceptable IF it was sent to all current Leaf owners with instruction to contact their dealer if they have the problem, and IF it was sent to all the dealers with instruction on remediation. Remember that most owners are not on this forum, and they have no idea what is going on. Sure, Nissan will need to do further testing and research and the final fix may be different, but that is no excuse for keeping customers and dealers in the dark. Nissan knows what the problem is and has a temp fix, that info needs to go out now.

Possibly Nissan USA thinks that they can keep this quiet, OR perhaps they usually just wait for a TSB to be issued by Nissan Japan.

However, at this point, I suspect that they are trying to AVOID having many LEAFs showing up at dealers for a possibly unnecessary fix/patch before the real root problem is well identified and it is decided what to do about it.

Paying for having some few cars towed to a dealer might be perceived as much less expensive than paying many Dealer's warranty-work bills for many unnecessary "patch" jobs.

IBELEAF said:
So my car won't start. Is there a workaround that I can do to get it to dealership?

I feel kind of embarrassed but it was a user error :oops:

Although I do have heat problem and I dropped it off at the dealership already

I just got a call from my dealerhip service department. They said that Nissan called them and asked to have me bring the car back so that they can do a software update to my car. So it seems that Nissan is being proactive and asking to have the cars come back before there is another problem. I forgot to ask if they are having all the cars come back or only the cars that have had issues earlier. Anyhow, this is good news to me that they are asking for the cars to come back to be fixed instead of just fixing the cars that come in with a problem.

aries said:
[/quote]

I went out this morning to take a look and couldn't find it. There is a Carwings related screen that shows you various background information, including your VIN, but I didn't see any numbers that would relate to vehicle firmware.

The only diagnostics screen I'm aware of is in the navigation system:

1. Turn LEAF power on.
2. Turn audio system off.
3. Press "MAP" 3 times.
4. Press "PWR" 2 times.
5. Press "MAP" 1 time.

Enjoy!

mwalsh said:
smkettner said:
I have a feeling that's at least one of the reasons the Nissan engineer stationed at Connell was called to the port yesterday, instead of him going to the OCC Green Day event.
Speaking of Connell Nissan, the Tech's are NOT there today. After talking with Connell, they said they have no intension to perform the 237D0-6NA0C update as a remedial measure ... and since I'm not going to push my luck any more with the pre-chill AC (plus it's been pretty cool lately anyway), it's best if folks just sit on their hands for now. I called several other dealerships in O.C. and the short translation to what they said was, "hugh?" meaning they didn't even know what I was talking about. My favorite response of all was, "well, WE haven't heard of any issue". Great ... what are you supposed to say to that ... "oh ... ok then ... I guess if YOU haven't heard anything, then it MUST be ok".
:D

mwalsh said:
aries said:

I went out this morning to take a look and couldn't find it. There is a Carwings related screen that shows you various background information, including your VIN, but I didn't see any numbers that would relate to vehicle firmware.
Misquote... I said that not aries. Anyway, I was mistaken. I was thinking of the Navigation version screen (nav guide pg 6-12), but it doesn't show firmware version, just map version, etc.

Back