Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottf200 said:
So you think 71% after 3 years is OK? Would the general public?

There's a reason you're on my ignore list.

But I'm saying that he should file a lawsuit because it's NOT OK! He's out of warranty now with no recourse whatsoever for a remedy when it comes to his battery degradation. Stop being an idiot!

scottf200 said:
mwalsh said:
91040 said:
Down three capacity bars as of today, 5/28 after 36.5 months and 73,205 miles. Just below 47Ahr with 71%SOH. C'est la vie.
You should file a class action suit for a replacement battery cost!
I'm pretty sure mwalsh doesn't think it's okay! Personally, I think Nissan should offer to sell replacement battery packs to high-mileage 2011/2012 owners at a price below their cost. A "free" replacement under warranty would be nice, but the fact is that folks like 91040 and myself have gotten a lot of use out of our original, defective packs, and batteries are a "wear" item.

abasile said:
Personally, I think Nissan should offer to sell replacement battery packs to high-mileage 2011/2012 owners at a price below their cost. A "free" replacement under warranty would be nice, but the fact is that folks like 91040 and myself have gotten a lot of use out of our original, defective packs, and batteries are a "wear" item.

Or at a loss even. Which will have the added advantages of still keeping us from knowing what the actual price of the packs is and stopping the purchase price to owners from being so onerous (if, in fact, the true cost IS actually onerous).

Free would be good also!

electricfuture said:
Down to 9 bars with only 35 months and 36,700 miles posted this incorrectly in the "newbies". Will I be the 1st warranty replacement? Anyone else this close?

LOL! Sorry, but you're not even the first warranty replacement in SoCal! You have a good chance of being the first in San Diego though - I don't remember anyone else down there as of now.

abasile said:
I'm pretty sure mwalsh doesn't think it's okay! Personally, I think Nissan should offer to sell replacement battery packs to high-mileage 2011/2012 owners at a price below their cost. A "free" replacement under warranty would be nice, but the fact is that folks like 91040 and myself have gotten a lot of use out of our original, defective packs, and batteries are a "wear" item.

Is it time for a lawsuit? I mean you have to be able to buy replacement parts right? Time to start selling batteries, Nissan!

The question remains how much are we willing to pay? I'm not buying for sure given 25%-30% degradation in SoCal after 3 years being "the norm", I'll drive the car until I no longer can and then dispose of it.

Valdemar said:
The question remains how much are we willing to pay? I'm not buying for sure given 25%-30% degradation in SoCal after 3 years being "the norm", I'll drive the car until I no longer can and then dispose of it.
This would depend on whether the replacement battery is better than the original. The problem is that it'll take years for us to know for sure if newer batteries are truly more heat tolerant, given the present credibility gap. In any case, more range could be a huge selling point.

abasile said:
Valdemar said:
This would depend on whether the replacement battery is better than the original. The problem is that it'll take years for us to know for sure if newer batteries are truly more heat tolerant, given the present credibility gap. In any case, more range could be a huge selling point.
Good point. Given Nissan's "credibility" on this issue I would value a new battery as though it were going to perform exactly like the old one - with a useful life of 3-4 years - in evaluating whether to replace my battery or to replace my Leaf with a Volt. Unless... Nissan put their money behind their credibility and sold the replacement battery with a true warranty that paid pro-rata for batteries that degraded faster than their claims. And if that warranty was based on (more nearly) objectively verifiable numbers like Amp-hrs rather than on vague unquantifiable numbers like battery bars.

abasile said:
scottf200 said:
mwalsh said:
You should file a class action suit for a replacement battery cost!
I thought he was being sarcastic. Hard to tell with such a terse comment. There are people here at both ends of the spectrum (this is normal and expected and I'll buy a new one -to- I expect a free battery every 3-4 years as an early adopter).

There were also a bunch of folks here who thought the previous lawsuit only benefited the lawyers!

I sold my Leaf last month. Three fun years, 45k miles and soo many 30 min quick charge stops later..

If Nissan sold a replacement 2x capacity battery at a reasonable price, I would have kept my Leaf. Now I have the Rav4 EV. I have what I need, 120 miles range at 70 mph which is double my 2011 Leafs range. The oinly thing missing from the Rav4 EV is a Chademo QC port.

I sure hope Nissan comes out with their 2x capacity battery soon. Game changer.

OK, after a little over three years we lost our first battery bar. As of today, 1st of June 2014 we have 54.91Ahr SOH 83% and Hx 68.63%, 25,382 miles, 1890 L1/L2 charges and 0 DCQC charges. We have charged the car to 80% only since the start of ownership, and have charged to 100% perhaps 10 times total, so we really took care of the battery. I originally purchased the car for myself, but my wife took over ownership of the car shortly thereafter. She has a short commute early in the AM (3am) and returns home at about 8am, so its outside in the cool part of the day and is kept in the garage during the heat of the day. I think that is how we managed to make it last as long as we did before losing the first bar. I've been away on business for the past 5 weeks, so I'm not sure exactly when it was lost, but sometime in the past 5 weeks, and today was the first time I drove the car since returning home Friday. I thought it was charged to 11 for some reason when I first got in, and then realized that we lost the top bar.

Valdemar said:
Well, if 25-30% is the norm for degradation at 3 years in Southern California, then my conservative charging/driving strategy (17.7% loss, 3 years ownership next week) may be making a significant difference. I am doing better than the Battery Aging Model by 0.5%. The Battery Aging Model projects 6.6 years total until I hit 70% capacity remaining.

Back