Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alluded to this on another post but what if...

Nissan "wants" 500 quick charge stations deployed in the next 2-3 years. So, step one, figure out where to put them and more importantly where they "can" put them.

so putting out a "wish" list so to speak only builds up hope that might be a false hope. it also starts the "2nd guessing" and finger pointing for proposed sites that dont happen which may cause undue backlash to the dealer.

now, we (or at least I) would love to know who was offered a charger and declined, but not sure that would bode well with manufacturer/dealer relations.

now, all this "could" have been easy enough. send out email to gauge interest and get back a response with a "yea" or "neigh" but as we are finding out, putting in a QC is a much more complicated process than anyone had anticipated.

so a simple yes or no is not possible without the dealership doing some investigation into their own specific situation. this "investigation" seems to not be as straightforward as I thought it would be.

I talked with a managerial type who was privy to part of the process considering the option and they were delayed "at least 2 months" when they went to see about permits. Problems they ran into was no regs governing charging stations in place. no one willing to offer variance options, etc. There was also a poor response from Puget Sound Energy who was more than willing to put in a new line but was not willing to simply upgrade their existing connection at a lower cost instead. he was not sure of what PSE's issues were other than they were also slow.

Either way, the process started about Nov/Dec and there is no information on any progress at this point.

oh forgot to mention this is not Nissan, its Blink

DaveinOlyWA said:
Nissan "wants" 500 quick charge stations deployed in the next 2-3 years. So, step one, figure out where to put them and more importantly where they "can" put them.
now, all this "could" have been easy enough. send out email to gauge interest and get back a response with a "yea" or "neigh" but as we are finding out, putting in a QC is a much more complicated process than anyone had anticipated.
FWIW, I know we've talked about this before, and I think even OrientExpress basically asked for being able to articulate "where? why?" and possibly another item (can't find the thread now and crappy MNL search won't let me search for where why). It would be nice if Nissan solicited input from Leafers, like those here about where they'd like to see QCs and why (e.g. "enables travel between ____ and ___ city", "putting them at ___ and ___ serves the purpose of enabling travel between ___ and __ as well as serving the communities at ____ and ___").

I got schooled on this at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=109166#p109166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and got a point of view that had never occurred to me, at the time.

edit: Found it at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11385&p=263204&hilit=articulate#p263204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Hope Nissan's watching that thread, unless there's a better place to submit that info. If so, people should fire away with at least where and why. I don't think we can necessarily answer how.

vsaphill said:
The Nissan Dealers need to request and apply for the DCQC from Nissan North America Inc.
Really? That's it? Ask or lobby Nissan dealers where we want DCQCs and let them do the above?

Does NNA cover all the hardware and installation costs? What strings are attached? What conditions are there on the price per charge, hours of availability, etc.? How about NNA covering repairs due to hardware failure, damage or vandalism?

Valdemar said:
HighDesertDriver said:
This is great news! We also very much want one in this area because it will allow drivers from the high desert to conveniently get enough charge to climb back up the mountains to their homes. The return uphill trip from the San Fernando Valley is certainly possible with current J1772 units, but hardly practical due to the long charge times.
I was recently curious if I could make it from SFV to Palmdale on a single charge taking the 14. It is not that far but a fairly long uphill drive there. How do you manage?
The short answer is that we don't manage. The only practical way is to stay on city streets such as San Fernando Road, Sierra Highway, and Bouquet Canyon Road. Coming back up the hill mandates a long stop somewhere along the way because of the climb. As you say later in this thread, a QC half-way along the 14 would be best, but convenient and practical locations are slim. Sand Canyon near the In-N-Out might have the best chances. Quite a while ago, one member used to mention making the drive from Pasadena over the Angeles Crest Highway, but never said where he recharged for the trip home.

That was caracalover. He posted details somewhere. Don't think he needed to charge enroute, at least with a new car.

HighDesertDriver said:
Quite a while ago, one member used to mention making the drive from Pasadena over the Angeles Crest Highway, but never said where he recharged for the trip home.

Guess "Northern California's 21st fast charging station" just doesn't have the same ring...

Randy said:
Nice, but Northern California's "only fast charging station"?

What's that, about 45 miles from Vacaville (where there's already a fast charger in public)....?

rnerone said:
Guys: I Just called GLENDALE NISSAN (818) 240-6000 and was told they hope to have this much needed QC operational by April 6th. Tic tic tic ....
I called this AM, Thursday April 11. I was told it was installed, and they were running tests, but it is not yet operational.

I hope to use this unit to save some charge time for my trip to Santa Barbara next week.

HighDesertDriver said:
Valdemar said:
I was recently curious if I could make it from SFV to Palmdale on a single charge taking the 14. It is not that far but a fairly long uphill drive there. How do you manage?
The short answer is that we don't manage. The only practical way is to stay on city streets such as San Fernando Road, Sierra Highway, and Bouquet Canyon Road. Coming back up the hill mandates a long stop somewhere along the way because of the climb. As you say later in this thread, a QC half-way along the 14 would be best, but convenient and practical locations are slim. Sand Canyon near the In-N-Out might have the best chances. Quite a while ago, one member used to mention making the drive from Pasadena over the Angeles Crest Highway, but never said where he recharged for the trip home.
In January, I took my 1-1/2 year old LEAF from Northridge to Vincent Hill Station for dinner, but I went up Soledad Canyon. I think my GOM showed something like 9 miles when I left the restaurant for the 40-mile return. I went down the 14, but was sweating most of the way, especially since I got a low-battery warning around Sierra Highway. I wound up stopping at Mission Hills Nissan for 30 minutes of L2 before heading the 3 miles (uphill) to our house.

If TomT is correct that Mission Hills Nissan is installing a DCQC (I rode by a few days ago and didn't see any evidence of it), then a full charge there, coupled with driving either Sierra or Soledad at 40-45 MPH should get you to Palmdale with a few miles to spare. But you'd likely need a couple of hours of L2 to get back to the SFV.

I can confirm Costa Mesa personally but which of these other locations are now operational?

Latest list, adding Universal City Nissan and Fontana Nissan:
Nissan of Downtown LA - 635 West Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Nissan of Elk Grove 8590 Laguna Grove Dr, Elk Grove, CA 95757
Connell Nissan 2850 Harbor Blvd Costa Mesa, CA 92626 - OPERATIONAL
Glendale Nissan 727 S Brand Blvd Glendale, CA 91204
Power Nissan of South Bay 14610 Hindry Ave Hawthorne, CA 90250
Carson Nissan 1505 E 223rd St Carson, CA 90745
Universal City Nissan 3550 Cahuenga Boulevard West Los Angeles, CA 90068
Fontana Nissan 16444 South Highland Avenue Fontana, CA 92336

TRONZ said:
I can confirm Costa Mesa personally but which of these other locations are now operational?

Latest list, adding Universal City Nissan and Fontana Nissan:
Connell Nissan 2850 Harbor Blvd Costa Mesa, CA 92626 - OPERATIONAL

Carson Nissan 1505 E 223rd St Carson, CA 90745 is Operational

For a time, my wife and I were thinking that it might be nice to purchase a RAV4 EV, mainly because of its longer single-charge range.

However, with the proliferation of DC chargers in Southern California, our LEAF range has effectively been extended and we no longer wish to entertain the purchase of any EV without some form of fast charging capability.

In my opinion, subsidizing these dealer installations has been a great move on Nissan's part. My hope is that many more dealers will add QC and that LEAF sales will continue to increase, at least in the areas where the climate is not too hot for the current battery chemistry.

Latest list, adding Cerritos Nissan.

Dealers underlined are operational, along with green markers on Google map linked at bottom.

Cerritos Nissan 18707 Studebaker Road Cerritos, CA 90703
Connell Nissan 2850 Harbor Blvd Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Google map of all locations: California Nissan QC Stations

drees said:

Dealers underlined are operational, along with green markers on Google map linked at bottom.

Color me jealous. I feel like I live in the Stone Age compared to what I'm seeing going on in CA.

drees said:

Thank you for this Google Map. If you are willing, I would think it would be valuable to add the Blink DCQC stations in the same area, in a different color, unreliable as they are.

New Blink DCQC locations
MacDonalds, 2242 University Ave., Riverside -- installed, not operational
6th & N. San Gabriel Ave. Azusa -- operational (hopefully for good this time)

Existing Blink DCQC
AQMD Diamond Bar
Mateo St. Downtown

If you feel the map should be Nissan only, that is fine too. Perhaps limit it to just new stations of different brands that might not all be on the regular databases.

tbleakne said:
If you feel the map should be Nissan only, that is fine too. Perhaps limit it to just new stations of different brands that might not all be on the regular databases.
Keeping it Nissan dealers only for now. Plugshare or Recargo already takes care of all other stations, feel free to got to those sites and make sure your favorite stations are listed.

Back