LEAF advisory group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evchels said:
I'm still encouraging some sort of "town hall" meeting or similar real-time conversation on this topic, regardless of any announcements in the meantime. Ideally in AZ, but I think better elsewhere or even webcast than not at all. And Nissan is still interested (I've heard repeatedly that Andy really wants to come out himself) but if it comes together, it probably won't happen until January. So, I've proposed that we use that time- that the task force (and anyone else who wants to help) come up with a list of all the main questions you want answered on this topic and get it to them asap, so they'll have plenty of time to get answers and can give as much info as possible at the actual meeting. A few of these have already come up in the video, etc., and I know the rest could be found by digging through the forum pages. But we'd be far more effective at doing that (and more quickly!) than they would. And we may not get every answer- but I'm hoping to minimize the "we'll have to get back to you's" at the actual meeting because they didn't understand what questions would come up.

I think this would benefit from it's own thread. Maybe we'll be able to keep it on topic? :lol:

-- This is Jeff from Nissan --

Yesterday I met up with Chelsea Sexton at the LA Auto Show. Most of our discussion was pleasant, expect for the part when she took me to task for not being active on MNL.com. I have maintained from my first post that I would not come here to drop corporate spin, and so if I didn't have something add, I would simply monitor. Chelsea disagreed with my position, and so have some of you (I've seen the posts!), and so she twisted my arm and told me to get back in and engage ... I actually have a picture of her twisting my arm, I just can't figure out how to put it in this post.

Ok, first, I apologize for not being more active. Second, hopefully, some of the following will be interesting to you.

There is a lot of good dialogue in this topic thread, and has Chelsea noted above, we have been talking about a townhall sometime soon. Getting Andy over prior to the holidays is going to be difficult, but we're working on a date shortly after the new year.

Chelsea also told me that she has tried to encourage a number of Nissan employees to be active in the forum, but that they have told her that they are prohibited from participating in the forum. I will look into this. I’m not aware of such a prohibition. Everyone who engages in social media has to remember that they wear many hats and represent, not only themselves, but companies, family and friends. And so, employees have to remember that they are Nissan employees in the MyNissanLeaf.com forum. As long as they do and that they conduct themselves appropriately (no sharing of confidential information, don’t say anything in confidence, don’t say anything about another person that you wouldn’t say to them personally), then there should be no problem. We'll try to get a few more Nissan voices from time to time.

I was at our ad agency, TBWA, in LA earlier today. We were conducting a full creative review, including a number of TV, print and online ads. I'm happy to report that we reviewed a number of LEAF executions. I say this to make this point: we are committed to zero emission technology, and specifically, we are committed to the LEAF. Actions are louder than words, and you will see a number of things shortly to support this, including US production of LEAF vehicles will begin shortly, new ads are coming, and shortly we'll share the details of the 2013 U.S. model year enhancements.

On another front, we have been working inside of the company to address a number of the issues that you raised during the Chelsea/Andy video. This is not a fast process, but there is progress. Not much more I can say about this today.

One time that I should have jumped into the discussion was when we announced the 2013 model year LEAF for Japan. The specific discussion that went too far afield had to do with vehicle range. I regret that I didn't post when some in the forum were assuming what the Japan range meant for the US vehicles. It's important to remember that comparably-equipped LEAF vehicles will generally travel the same distance on the equivalent change. That's to say, if you put a US LEAF, next to a Japan LEAF, next to a Euro LEAF, and each is equipped the same, and each has the same charge, they will travel the same distance. The only difference is the window sticker mileage value. Each country requires a different testing protocol, and this is how it appears that a LEAF in Japan travels farther. It's simply not the case.

Finally, I saw somewhere in the forum that someone was at the LA Auto Show and visited the Nissan booth looking for new photos of 2013 vehicles and they could not find them. And for good reason: we haven't shot the photos yet. In fact, I was having a conversation about that today. And, so maybe this is an opportunity to brainstorm together. I would invite members of the forum to give me and the Communications team ideas on how best to show the LEAF for newspaper and website media. We'll be shooting new photography shortly and I would consider any interesting ideas. Post ideas or send me a note with your thoughts.

Best wishes to all as we head into the holidays.

Regards,

Jeff Kuhlman

^^^
Thank you for popping in, Jeff.

I wanted to chime in about two things. If there isn't one already, there ought to be a good place for people to suggest/place action items we want from Nissan (e.g. along the lines of the homework for Andy Palmer) that aren't necessarily vehicle feature requests/product improvements. I guess it could be in the wiki as well.

Examples I came up with were at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=243197#p243197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Another that I just thought of is "When will the software update be rolled out to prevent the onboard charger from being damaged by GE Wattstations in certain power dip/brownout situations?" (http://www.plugincars.com/nissan-and-ge-have-figured-out-why-wattstation-damages-some-leafs-123471.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is an example of someone w/a Wattstation and a blown OBC or two. I'm not the first one to ask about this and I think Chelsea knows about this question already.

I don't know if you're doing this already, but it would be very nice/interesting to hear what people's reactions to the Leaf are at auto shows... either via official reps or people err... not dressed in any way looking like they're employees/contractors of Nissan but near Leafs displayed at auto shows. I am also dismayed to hear that Nissan is still quoting 100 miles of range. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=246184#p246184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about what I heard while at the SF auto show.

Hawk0630 said:
-- This is Jeff from Nissan
Welcome back! That's some good arm twisting by Chelsea.

Everyone who engages in social media has to remember that they wear many hats...
It may seem simple to you, but many of your employees may find it very complex. Some companies simplify the rules to a prohibition on social media. Some companies say it's okay, but if you make a mistake interpreting the guidelines they may fire you. The best way for employees to learn how to interpret the rules is by example, watching what people like you say. The more you post the more comfortable they will feel posting, and without embarrassing mistakes.

I would invite members of the forum to give me and the Communications team ideas on how best to show the LEAF for newspaper and website media. We'll be shooting new photography shortly and I would consider any interesting ideas. Post ideas or send me a note with your thoughts.
Picture a LEAF zipping away from a stoplight. Left behind in the background is a car, name not clearly visible but maybe from the shape of the grill you guess it may be a BMW.

LEAF driving past a gas station. In the background are cars waiting at the pumps. You can't read the gas price because someone is on a ladder raising the price.

Foreground is a gas station, and you can see the unhappy looks on the faces of the customers. In the background a line of LEAFs drives past, one of each color.

LEAF at a stoplight next to a sidewalk cafe with a sign posted: NO SMOKING.

Thank you for jumping back into the pool!

Use real owners in the ads showing their LEAFS and real charging stations in their garages or on the back of their houses. Show the owners, their families, their pets, their gear, etc. and how great the LEAF is, incorporated into their daily lives.

cwerdna said:
Thank you for popping in, Jeff.
+1

cwerdna said:
I wanted to chime in about two things. If there isn't one already, there ought to be a good place for people to suggest/place action items we want from Nissan (e.g. along the lines of the homework for Andy Palmer) that aren't necessarily vehicle feature requests/product improvements. I guess it could be in the wiki as well.
Definitely. I wonder if the advisory group would be a good way to filter the list?

cwerdna said:
Examples I came up with were at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=243197#p243197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Another that I just thought of is "When will the software update be rolled out to prevent the onboard charger from being damaged by GE Wattstations in certain power dip/brownout situations?"
Another good one. In fact, there's a recent thread where a LEAF owner has had their 2nd OBC die while charging on a GE Wattstation.

Another potential question for the list: It was said by someone from Nissan a while back that at least part of the range degradation issue in hot climates was due to instrumentation error. Is this true and if so, will a fix for this issue be released for the '11-12 LEAF?

Thanks for the updates, Chelsea!
evchels said:
- Lastly for now, I've also been talking to them a lot about considering ways to include and involve members of the advisory group and/or local drivers in events as well as take advantage of having execs in town for auto shows and the like to have more direct conversations with you guys, even informally.
I'm interested in participating in this type of event, if possible. Being from a different industry, it would be interesting to learn more about how things are done here. I suspect there could be lessons learned in both directions.

Walterbays idea for the shot/commerical is a good idea. Honestly, I think, especially with the rollout in all 50 states done, you should concentrate not on the environmental aspects as has been done before (i.e. see previous comercials), but the other aspects that may appeal to a more general crowd. You have hit that button well and those whom that appeals to have either gotten a leaf, gotten another car, or intend to get one in the future. Focus on the other cool aspects.

Perhaps show a very loud/old regular car and a leaf quietly zoom by (focus on before or after that has that leaf "quiet"). Passing a gas station as Walterbays said would be cool. Maybe somehow showing (ideas?) extra cash from not needing to fuel up. Show an VERY quiet interior (maybe before or after it zooms past that loud car)...this is a HUGE selling point that I think is missed (look at all the luxury cars that tout the quiet interior....the leaf has comparable quiet for cheaper!). Also a showing on the quickness of the car (beating some nice cars at stop light to get to something quickly), that is a big plus for many people.

Finally, when other people see my car for the first time, they always exclaim, "Wow this is a good size car, I thought it was small, it looks so small in commercials/on the web/etc. In fact, many were turned off and didn't investigate more BECAUSE they thought it was too small. Show a family of four in it, or even adults in the back! Show loads of groceries in the DEEP trunk. People really are mistaken on the size, this is a big correction that is needed to address.

I always thought that the ad for the Altima Hybrid - the one where the owner returns all his oil company merch to the gas station - missed the mark. That ad should have been used for the LEAF, with a tag line that emphasizes that it never needs gas, EVER. I mean, the Altima Hybrid does needs gas at some point, right? So why would the owner not be seeing his favorite gas station guy again?

mwalsh said:
I always thought that the ad for the Altima Hybrid - the one where the owner returns all his oil company merch to the gas station - missed the mark. That ad should have been used for the LEAF, with a tag line that emphasizes that it never needs gas, EVER. I mean, the Altima Hybrid does needs gas at some point, right? So why would the owner not be seeing his favorite gas station guy again?

+1

Pipcecil said:
Show loads of groceries in the DEEP trunk. People really are mistaken on the size, this is a big correction that is needed to address.

Great point. The fact that the trunk is deep because there is no need for a gas tank should be emphasized.

The LEAF in part competes with the PHEV's, hybrids as well as regular gas cars. An ad like the I'm a Mac I'm a PC could be run showing a LEAF driver getting his groceries in the LEAF while the hapless C-Max driver can't get everything in. Then the LEAF going past the gas station, taking advantage of the HOV lane and being on time to to an event getting the last parking space, while the C-Max driver is freezing his/her butt off filling the gas tank, gets stuck in traffioc and also being late for the event and unable to find a parking space.

JPWhite said:
mwalsh said:

+1

I agree as well. too much of this "all or nothing" message. I think the LEAF is best marketed as a compliment to another vehicle, be it ICE, hybrid or ER hybrid.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/11/nissan-leaf-commercial-suggestions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:
cwerdna said:
Definitely. I wonder if the advisory group would be a good way to filter the list?

I'd like to see this too, and open to the best way to do it. Someone mentioned a thread here that only a few of us could post to (eg, the adv board folks post questions in a central place as we receive PMs or find them in the threads, so Nissan has one easy place to see them without having to sort through as much conversation). And obviously, Jeff and others at Nissan would be able to answer there as well if they want. Or could be wiki, etc. Thoughts?

drees said:
cwerdna said:
Examples I came up with were at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=243197#p243197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Another that I just thought of is "When will the software update be rolled out to prevent the onboard charger from being damaged by GE Wattstations in certain power dip/brownout situations?"
Another good one. In fact, there's a recent thread where a LEAF owner has had their 2nd OBC die while charging on a GE Wattstation.

Thanks for the reminder about this- I meant to post on it earlier. I talked to someone about this when I was at NNA a couple weeks ago. He didn't know exact timing but said the update was already being applied to new vehicles and would go to dealers "soon" for the current ones. I assume that means within the next couple months, but will ask again. But I confirmed for sure that every single LEAF would get the update, so there's no concern of someone having the problem out-of-warranty because they didn't get the update in the first place. And obviously everyone is covered now, while waiting for dealers to get the update.

drees said:
Another potential question for the list: It was said by someone from Nissan a while back that at least part of the range degradation issue in hot climates was due to instrumentation error. Is this true and if so, will a fix for this issue be released for the '11-12 LEAF?

Yes on the gauge update. Again though, don't have exact timing- this update is part of the overall battery conversation, so I expect we'll know more in whatever announcement comes in the next few weeks, or at the potential town hall meeting.

this would be an option to investigate. When "we" (several members here darrell, Cwerdna, etc) were part of Priuschat Detroit for 2010 Prius intro, we had a forum that was only we could post to or see.

BTW, love the ideas for the photos; I especially like the trunk and gas station ideas. That I can shoot both in photo and video format.

Some of the other ideas are a bit more for the ad agency, and I will share them with TBWA. Remember, the shots that PR commission are for use by media to support news stories or reviews of the vehicle.

Also, I hear you on the "Ask Nissan" thread. I'll discuss it with Chelsea and we'll come back to you with how we can best manage it. (Process, process, process.)

Jeff

A great blog post with suggestions on what a Nissan LEAF commercial might look like:

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/11/nissan-leaf-commercial-suggestions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back