LEAF advisory group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawk0630 said:
-- This is Jeff from Nissan --
As it turns out, even though Jeff now resides in Yokohama, he has a home very near me. In fact, it is easily within LEAF driving range. Jeff was around this weekend and invited me to have coffee with him this morning.

We chatted for a couple of hours about the LEAF, batteries, solar energy, families and telecommuting around the globe, among other things. Jeff was very forthright about where things are and he seems genuinely committed to improving relations with existing LEAF owners as well as improving marketing, sales and communications efforts going forward. At the same time, he acknowledged that Nissan is a big multinational corporation which carries a lot of inertia, so don't expect miraculous changes to happen immediately.

It sounds to me as if we will learn a lot more as the rollout of the 2013 models progresses. In other words, I think LEAF owners and prospects in North America will learn new things from Nissan within the next two months. (I don't know any details, so please do not PM me for them!)

Anyway, thanks for stopping by our little town this morning, Jeff! I enjoyed meeting you and look forward to seeing you again soon in Yokohama.

RegGuheert said:
Hawk0630 said:
-- This is Jeff from Nissan --
As it turns out, even though Jeff now resides in Yokohama, he has a home very near me. In fact, it is easily within LEAF driving range. Jeff was around this weekend and invited me to have coffee with him this morning.

We chatted for a couple of hours about the LEAF, batteries, solar energy, families and telecommuting around the globe, among other things. Jeff was very forthright about where things are and he seems genuinely committed to improving relations with existing LEAF owners as well as improving marketing, sales and communications efforts going forward. At the same time, he acknowledged that Nissan is a big multinational corporation which carries a lot of inertia, so don't expect miraculous changes to happen immediately.

It sounds to me as if we will learn a lot more as the rollout of the 2013 models progresses. In other words, I think LEAF owners and prospects in North America will learn new things from Nissan within the next two months. (I don't know any details, so please do not PM me for them!)

Anyway, thanks for stopping by our little town this morning, Jeff! I enjoyed meeting you and look forward to seeing you again soon in Yokohama.

TEASE!!! ;)

Kataphn said:
Thank you for jumping back into the pool!

Use real owners in the ads showing their LEAFS and real charging stations in their garages or on the back of their houses. Show the owners, their families, their pets, their gear, etc. and how great the LEAF is, incorporated into their daily lives.

+1
I have found people very surprised that it takes no liquids at all to maintain. The ease of owning the car becomes apparent when there are no liquids

Leaf1 said:
Kataphn said:
Thank you for jumping back into the pool!

Use real owners in the ads showing their LEAFS and real charging stations in their garages or on the back of their houses. Show the owners, their families, their pets, their gear, etc. and how great the LEAF is, incorporated into their daily lives.

+1
I have found people very surprised that it takes no liquids at all to maintain. The ease of owning the car becomes apparent when there are no liquids

I have found it necessary to top off the window washer fluid. :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist. Resistance IS futile.

During the heat of the summer and the cold days recently, I think my favorite feature has become remote climate control. This is something you simply cannot do in a closed garage with an ICEV. It would be nice to focus on this feature in an advertisement.

While I never *enjoyed* it, I am finding that changing oil (which I do myself) is much more hateful now that we have a vehicle which doesn't require this type of service. This may be true even for people who take their cars in for oil service, particularly if they have to do it often.

RegGuheert said:
While I never *enjoyed* it, I am finding that changing oil (which I do myself) is much more hateful now that we have a vehicle which doesn't require this type of service. This may be true even for people who take their cars in for oil service, particularly if they have to do it often.
Many folks love to point to the "convenience" of operating a gas car - because it just takes five minutes to fill up! They completely ignore the little issues like oil changes.

Your comment reminds me of how I now feel about gas stations. For most of my life, the smell of benzene was just part of car ownership. Not enjoyable - but part of it. You're standing there transferring this flammable, carcinogenic liquid (that would require special training and licensing to dispense if gasoline were just now being commercialized) - and breathing those fumes is just part of everyday motoring. Now when I (rarely) visit a gas station, the smell is so offensive that I can hardly stand it. Much like cigarette smoke has become for me for much the same reason.

It really is amazing what we get used to.

darelldd said:
RegGuheert said:
Many folks love to point to the "convenience" of operating a gas car - because it just takes five minutes to fill up! They completely ignore the little issues like oil changes.

Your comment reminds me of how I now feel about gas stations. For most of my life, the smell of benzene was just part of car ownership. Not enjoyable - but part of it. You're standing there transferring this flammable, carcinogenic liquid (that would require special training and licensing to dispense if gasoline were just now being commercialized) - and breathing those fumes is just part of everyday motoring. Now when I (rarely) visit a gas station, the smell is so offensive that I can hardly stand it. Much like cigarette smoke has become for me for much the same reason.

It really is amazing what we get used to.

just another "hard to break" bad habit!

we need a 12 step "gasoholic" recovery program!

RegGuheert said:
Doing one's own oil changes does sound unpleasant, though I admit I've never done it.

That said, I don't see easier/less maintenance as much of a selling point for today's EVs including the LEAF. Newer ICE cars no longer require frequent oil changes, and EVs still require regular service including battery checks, firmware updates, tire rotations, etc.

In my case, the closest Nissan dealer is 20 miles away, so it's actually more convenient to keep the ICE cars maintained since our local, reputable, small-town mechanic can handle everything. Thankfully, because of all our mountain driving, our mechanic does take care of rotating our Kumho tires every 3000 miles at no charge.

This is not to knock the LEAF, as I would be loathe to give up my LEAF and have to burn gasoline regularly. It's just that I don't see the low-maintenance angle as much of a selling point until EV technology is more mature.

abasile said:
RegGuheert said:
Doing one's own oil changes does sound unpleasant, though I admit I've never done it.

That said, I don't see easier/less maintenance as much of a selling point for today's EVs including the LEAF. Newer ICE cars no longer require frequent oil changes, and EVs still require regular service including battery checks, firmware updates, tire rotations, etc.

In my case, the closest Nissan dealer is 20 miles away, so it's actually more convenient to keep the ICE cars maintained since our local, reputable, small-town mechanic can handle everything. Thankfully, because of all our mountain driving, our mechanic does take care of rotating our Kumho tires every 3000 miles at no charge.

This is not to knock the LEAF, as I would be loathe to give up my LEAF and have to burn gasoline regularly. It's just that I don't see the low-maintenance angle as much of a selling point until EV technology is more mature.

not sure i can agree with you. newer cars do have a longer interval between oil changes usually 10,000 miles but require more expensive synthetic oil. my oil changes on the Prius run $70. I could do it myself for $50 but its not worth the hassle. the Prius has plastic covers underneath that needs to be removed. too much work for $20

but that is only the beginning. engine filters can be purchased for good price online (but not all people are willing or able to do this) or you can your local dealer do it for $30

like all addictions; its not any one single incident that caused the addiction, it is "death by a million tiny cuts"

DaveinOlyWA said:
I could do it myself for $50 but its not worth the hassle. the Prius has plastic covers underneath that needs to be removed. too much work for $20
Yeah, our Honda Civic Hybrid is the same. Those plastic covers are a PITA. The dealers and the oil-change companies have equipment that can suck the oil out through the dipstick tube, but they also have to drop the plastic panels if they want to change the filter.

RegGuheert said:

Japan Airlines just started Boeing 787 "Dreamliner" service from SAN to Tokyo/Narita. I'm ready to go to Yokohama.

TonyWilliams said:
Japan Airlines just started Boeing 787 "Dreamliner" service from SAN to Tokyo/Narita. I'm ready to go to Yokohama.
*jealous* Reg wants to ride in a Dreamliner but they aren't flying into Washington right now. Take some pictures for us!

RegGuheert said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I could do it myself for $50 but its not worth the hassle. the Prius has plastic covers underneath that needs to be removed. too much work for $20
Yeah, our Honda Civic Hybrid is the same. Those plastic covers are a PITA. The dealers and the oil-change companies have equipment that can suck the oil out through the dipstick tube, but they also have to drop the plastic panels if they want to change the filter.

always get filter changed. Toyota "requires" their special hybrid synthetic oil designed to protect against the estimated 15,000-25,000 start ups hybrids go thru at $9.09 a quart then the filter which can vary greatly in price but i get them online for $6 a piece in lots of 3. dealer charges like $11 i think and some sort of gasket o ring for filter which is about a buck. i go to Toyota, hand them the filter. they change it. without filter my weighted cost would be about $76 or so

Hawk0630 said:
I would invite members of the forum to give me and the Communications team ideas on how best to show the LEAF for newspaper and website media.
First - welcome back. Your presence is helpful. Regarding your request for website/newspaper ideas:

Website - a series of photos (or short video):
Family in a car at a gas station
LEAF family enjoying the beach (or some other recreation)
Man or woman in a waiting area at an oil change shop
Man or woman exiting LEAF to go to a movie
[voiceover or caption] Nissan LEAF owners save time!
Photo of 2013 LEAF Monroney highlighting annual fuel cost (showing "You save $x,xxx in fuel costs over 5 years compared to the average new vehicle)
Photo of US average fuel economy car annual fuel cost
[voiceover or caption] Nissan LEAF owners save money!

Everybody wants to save time and money.

I'm not so sure about the "saving time" angle. You'll definitely save time if you never have to go out of your way to charge, or if you regularly use the LEAF to drive solo in HOV lanes. But one long wait for a charge away from home could equal the time spent on a number of gas station visits. I know, I've done plenty of away-from-home charging.

When I talk to people about my LEAF, I emphasize that I never have to put a drop of gasoline in it. That seems to resonate. Many folks would be happy to put up with a bit of charging inconvenience here and there if it would mean never having to buy gas. How enjoyable is it to have to smell gasoline fumes while enriching foreign dictators, polluting the local air, and contributing to fossil fuel addiction and global warming? That sounds completely unappealing to me. (It's not that EVs are perfect, but they're a major step in the right direction.)

darelldd said:
Many folks love to point to the "convenience" of operating a gas car - because it just takes five minutes to fill up!
It only takes me a minute to fill up, and I do it at my own home! 30 seconds to plug in when I get home, and another 30 seconds to unplug before I leave. That trumps an ICE anyday! ;)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
darelldd said:
Many folks love to point to the "convenience" of operating a gas car - because it just takes five minutes to fill up!
It only takes me a minute to fill up, and I do it at my own home! 30 seconds to plug in when I get home, and another 30 seconds to unplug before I leave. That trumps an ICE anyday! ;)

-Phil
Dang, you're slow, Phil. I'm at about four seconds. Somebody actually clocked me!
jump to 1:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMSZy1N3u_Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

abasile said:
I'm not so sure about the "saving time" angle.
Everybody's situation is different. There are millions of American drivers who never... (yes, I mean NEVER) drive more than 40 miles a day. And there are many more households that own at least one car that never drives more than 40 miles per day. Time is most definitely saved in "fueling" if that commute car is electric vs. gasoline, and is charged at home. The "five minute fueling" often mentioned for gasoline cars is a crock of course. That's how long it takes to dump the gas in the tank (assuming you drive something with reasonable mileage and a small tank - otherwise I've seen folks with dual-tank trucks sit there for 20 minutes). It is not how long it takes to exit the freeway (or drive into town), find an open spot (stand in line in many cases!) uncap, pay, pump, recap, clean the drips off the paint, get back on the freeway. I don't mean to preach to the choir... and I understand that long-distance driving IS of course much faster with liquid fuel.

And then... what was this thread about again??

abasile said:
I'm not so sure about the "saving time" angle. You'll definitely save time if you never have to go out of your way to charge, or if you regularly use the LEAF to drive solo in HOV lanes. But one long wait for a charge away from home could equal the time spent on a number of gas station visits. I know, I've done plenty of away-from-home charging.
As Darell noted, everyone's situation is different. According to the latest Blink EVSE and vehicle usage report (page 10), in the third quarter of 2012, 86 percent of charging events as part of the study were performed at home versus away from home. This number has decreased steadily from the second quarter of 2011, when it was over 99 percent. Clearly, LEAF drivers are more comfortable charging while away from home now than they were over a year ago. Also, some of that away from home charging happens while at work, which does not really increase time to charge. So it seems that most LEAF owners will save time compared to fueling a gasoline powered vehicle.

Back