LEAF advisory group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
davewill said:
P.S. I find this acrimony acutely embarrassing. Chelsea and the others involved are part of OUR community and deserve our support for taking on what may prove to be a rather thankless task. Regardless of whether we agree with Chelsea's choices, we should be thanking her for taking this on. Thanks, Chelsea.
Hear, hear! Well stated, Dave.

Ray

Absolutely, let's get behind this effort to improve things.

seems like a ploy if there isnt more disclosure, or at least discussion.

is it true that everyone helped in AZ had to agree to dummy up as a condition of being made whole or partly whole?

thankyouOB said:

is it true that everyone helped in AZ had to agree to dummy up as a condition of being made whole or partly whole?
No. I just signed and returned Nissan's offer to repurchase my car. Nothing was said about keeping quiet.

leafkabob said:
thankyouOB said:

No. I just signed and returned Nissan's offer to repurchase my car. Nothing was said about keeping quiet.

LOL! the option for anyone in AZ to keep quiet was pretty much decided back in July!

as a member of the board, i can say there is not much going on yet. was hoping before Xmas as it would fit in my work schedule much nicer but... not looking good

myleaf said:
it would be good to hear from chelsea.

Good timing! Was just composing an update as I saw this...

Nothing said publicly on battery pricing. There's been progress and/or decisions on at least a couple of the main outstanding battery questions, but still waiting on announcements. Yay for lawsuits and legal teams! :? Others I've not heard on. But, I can say for sure that while some of the bureaucracy and corporate processes of Nissan make GM look like Tesla (no kidding), this issue is still on front burner.

However, because the advisory board wasn't conceived for this issue (and the membership reflects that), I've asked three people to focus on this topic alone as a "task force" of sorts that would operate in parallel to the larger group but wouldn't have to wait on it getting going. Tony Williams has already agreed to move over to this more specialized group, and I've asked Phil as well as an affected owner in AZ. Again, specifics will be up to the members, but I envision a few main goals: to curate and continue to ask the outstanding questions related to battery degradation, to advise on any potential remedies and/or follow progress on any pursued, and to advise on how better to communicate better about this issue going forward.

I will also likely see Jeff Kuhlman at the auto show today, so will again "encourage" him to get back in here, as well as report back myself on any information I can get. I'm trying to get others to participate in this forum too, but was told by several different LEAF team members on a recent trip to NNA in TN that "corporate policy" prohibits any of them from participating in a non-Nissan (owned) forum. I've taken this up with Jeff and others at his level in Japan, and they agree that if true, that policy needs to be addressed. So will keep pushing on that.

chels.

evchels said:
I will also likely see Jeff Kuhlman at the auto show today, so will again "encourage" him to get back in here, as well as report back myself on any information I can get. I'm trying to get others to participate in this forum too, but was told by several different LEAF team members on a recent trip to NNA in TN that "corporate policy" prohibits any of them from participating in a non-Nissan (owned) forum. I've taken this up with Jeff and others at his level in Japan, and they agree that if true, that policy needs to be addressed. So will keep pushing on that.
No kidding, in light of what companies like GM have done. See below (search for social):
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/power-negotiating-after-the-car-warranty-expires-2012-10-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Sep/0919_customer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1079292_general-motors-works-overtime-to-keep-customers-happy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a GM social media rep on Cruzetalk.com, for instance, who I believe the moderators/admins there have vetted to be legit. A few GM factory workers sometimes post.

evchels said:
myleaf said:

Nothing said publicly on battery pricing. There's been progress and/or decisions on at least a couple of the main outstanding battery questions, but still waiting on announcements. Yay for lawsuits and legal teams! :? Others I've not heard on. But, I can say for sure that while some of the bureaucracy and corporate processes of Nissan make GM look like Tesla (no kidding), this issue is still on front burner.

However, because the advisory board wasn't conceived for this issue (and the membership reflects that), I've asked three people to to focus on this topic alone as a "task force" of sorts that would operate in parallel to the larger group but wouldn't have to wait on it getting going. Tony Williams has already agreed to move over to this more specialized group, and I've asked Phil as well as an affected owner in AZ. Again, specifics will be up to the members, but I envision a few main goals: to curate and continue to ask the outstanding questions related to battery degradation, to advise on any potential remedies and/or follow progress on any pursued, and to advise on how better to communicate better about this issue going forward.

chels.

thanks. you continue to attract goodwill like a magnet. (said with a smile)

evchels said:
myleaf said:

However, because the advisory board wasn't conceived for this issue (and the membership reflects that), I've asked three people to to focus on this topic alone as a "task force" of sorts that would operate in parallel to the larger group but wouldn't have to wait on it getting going. Tony Williams has already agreed to move over to this more specialized group, and I've asked Phil as well as an affected owner in AZ. Again, specifics will be up to the members, but I envision a few main goals: to curate and continue to ask the outstanding questions related to battery degradation, to advise on any potential remedies and/or follow progress on any pursued, and to advise on how better to communicate better about this issue going forward.

chels.

thanks for the update

cwerdna said:
evchels said:
No kidding, in light of what companies like GM have done. See below (search for social):
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/power-negotiating-after-the-car-warranty-expires-2012-10-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Sep/0919_customer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1079292_general-motors-works-overtime-to-keep-customers-happy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a GM social media rep on Cruzetalk.com, for instance, who I believe the moderators/admins there have vetted to be legit. A few GM factory workers sometimes post.

seems like Japanese auto manufacturers have been slow to realize the impact of social media. I think as long as their sales are booming, they are slow to react.

Keep in mind that GM is fighting an uphill battle on the image front. They have come along way in improving quality but people hold onto preconceived notions a long time and I think GM is forced to take a more proactive stance to boost their image than a company like Toyota which is generally regarded as better quality

evchels said:
Nothing said publicly on battery pricing.... But, I can say for sure that while some of the bureaucracy and corporate processes of Nissan make GM look like Tesla (no kidding), this issue is still on front burner.

sparky said:
I found this interesting w.r.t. the Tesla price increase:
We have received many requests for a Battery Replacement Option (like the Roadster had, and like a smart Nissan would have). We are happy to now offer this option for all three battery variants. This option will provide you a new battery anytime after the end of the eighth year at a fixed price. Prices are as follows: $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh battery, and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery. You will be able to purchase this additional option through your MyTesla page in the near future.

Granted it's 8 years in the future but I think it shows Tesla is responsive to customers' concerns and a great price... the 85kWh pack will be replaced for $141/kWh.
Your move Nissan. Seems like a 3 yr pack replacement option might be a good starting point.

$141 * 24kWh = $3384

TonyWilliams said:
evchels said:
Nothing said publicly on battery pricing.... But, I can say for sure that while some of the bureaucracy and corporate processes of Nissan make GM look like Tesla (no kidding), this issue is still on front burner.

sparky said:
We have received many requests for a Battery Replacement Option (like the Roadster had, and like a smart Nissan would have). We are happy to now offer this option for all three battery variants. This option will provide you a new battery anytime after the end of the eighth year at a fixed price. Prices are as follows: $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh battery, and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery. You will be able to purchase this additional option through your MyTesla page in the near future.

Granted it's 8 years in the future but I think it shows Tesla is responsive to customers' concerns and a great price... the 85kWh pack will be replaced for $141/kWh.
Your move Nissan. Seems like a 3 yr pack replacement option might be a good starting point.

$141 * 24kWh = $3384

Will they fit the 85KwH battery into my LEAF? :)

Just kidding, I know that's not an option. Nice thought though. I'd be able to get into the 300 mile club :)

About time to decide about battery replacement option or real battery warranty. I see that most of the cars are leases now. Looks like dealers here are not motivated to move cars. One of the dealers here, quoted me more than $3000/$300 lease just few days ago and they have 6 in stock for close to a year now.

EdmondLeaf said:
About time to decide about battery replacement option or real battery warranty. I see that most of the cars are leases now. Looks like dealers here are not motivated to move cars. One of the dealers here, quoted me more than $3000/$300 lease just few days ago and they have 6 in stock for close to a year now.

There are currently Lease deals out there for a SV for 36 months $2K down and $199 a month.

Visit here for more info I think you can do better.

Hi all...a few bits from my encounters w Nissan folks at the show yesterday (sorry for the length!):

- Talked to Jeff K and pushed again for him to come back here. I get the sense he's a bit intimidated to show up ;) until he can provide substantive answers, but I've assured him radio silence is worse.

- Also tracked down the origin of the "corporate policy" keeping US Nissan folks from participating here. Again, common in corporations, but he now understands better how it's contributing to some of the current community concerns and tension with Nissan. And I had the general conversation about getting more of their people involved both here and elsewhere with at least five different execs last night (a few of them not for the first time.) Particularly with Mark and Katherine's departure, I'd love to see them get more of the team "out there" so you all can get to know them and vice-versa. Will keep negotiating this, but came away having at least made actual progress in unraveling the corporate culture/policy sources contributing to this issue.

- Nissan is totally on board with the battery issue "task force" (gotta come up with better names for these things...) Not that I gave them much choice! :D But every single person thought it was a great idea. As I mentioned, a few questions have basically been worked out and are threading their way through the corporate and legal "blessing" process before being announced. Sounds like that will take a few weeks. However, I know the gist- and while it may not be as much as some have asked for yet, I think you'll agree that it's truly a step in the right direction, for all LEAF drivers.

I'm still encouraging some sort of "town hall" meeting or similar real-time conversation on this topic, regardless of any announcements in the meantime. Ideally in AZ, but I think better elsewhere or even webcast than not at all. And Nissan is still interested (I've heard repeatedly that Andy really wants to come out himself) but if it comes together, it probably won't happen until January. So, I've proposed that we use that time- that the task force (and anyone else who wants to help) come up with a list of all the main questions you want answered on this topic and get it to them asap, so they'll have plenty of time to get answers and can give as much info as possible at the actual meeting. A few of these have already come up in the video, etc., and I know the rest could be found by digging through the forum pages. But we'd be far more effective at doing that (and more quickly!) than they would. And we may not get every answer- but I'm hoping to minimize the "we'll have to get back to you's" at the actual meeting because they didn't understand what questions would come up.

- Lastly for now, I've also been talking to them a lot about considering ways to include and involve members of the advisory group and/or local drivers in events as well as take advantage of having execs in town for auto shows and the like to have more direct conversations with you guys, even informally. For example, I'd have loved to get even a handful of you passes to the show yesterday, and grab an upstairs convention center room for an hour to chat with Jeff K, Brian Carolin and/or whomever else could join. (Of course, it's always fun to walk the show too, esp on media day!) Nothing formal, but it seems silly to me not to use the opportunities to carve out a little time when those guys are in town, even if not for LEAF stuff. And in fairness, Tim Gallagher tried hard to help make that come together at the last minute, but with relevant folks scattered about for the holiday weekend, we just couldn't make it happen this time. But will keep on that, too.

TonyWilliams said:
evchels said:

sparky said:

$141 * 24kWh = $3384

largest pack price for the smallest pack?

bit optimistic are we?

Back