Ghosn finally concedes 2012 EV targets will not be met

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
adric22 said:
I've often wondered about that very thing. I live in a really hot climate with a Leaf pushing 2 years old that still has all 12 capacity bars.
How many annual miles on the Leaf, about 9,700? I believe you mentioning that you rarely take the battery below 3 bars?
I have 16,000 miles on mine. Yes, it is very rare to have less than 3 bars for me. In fact I think I've only ever seen as low as 1 bar only one time and I think two bars I've seen maybe 7 or 8 times since I've owned the car.

adric22 said:
surfingslovak said:
adric22 said:
I've often wondered about that very thing. I live in a really hot climate with a Leaf pushing 2 years old that still has all 12 capacity bars.
How many annual miles on the Leaf, about 9,700? I believe you mentioning that you rarely take the battery below 3 bars?
I have 16,000 miles on mine. Yes, it is very rare to have less than 3 bars for me. In fact I think I've only ever seen as low as 1 bar only one time and I think two bars I've seen maybe 7 or 8 times since I've owned the car.
OK, great, interesting info. Have you owned the Leaf for about 20 months now? I'm just trying to figure out how many miles it's driven on an annual basis. Would you be willing to share your ZIP code? On average, how many hours does the car sit outside in the sun each day? No Gid reading available, right?

downeykp said:
Mahalo Stoaty, so set the end timer for an hour before she leaves and we are good to go?
No, set the end timer to the exact time she leaves, or perhaps even 20-30 minutes later. The Leaf will always finish charging early using the end timer only setting, so you don't have to worry about it being fully charged. Also, if the Leaf only got to 95% instead of 100% it wouldn't make much difference for your wife. If climate control pre-conditioning is on, charging may finish 2-3 hours early. See also this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is really another example of how Nissan needs to address the way they market electric vehicles.
Nissan calling it a long life mode has give giving people the wrong impression apparently.

Tesla/Toyota calls 80%/100% normal/range. Maybe Nissan needs to catch a clue here.

surfingslovak said:
OK, great, interesting info. Have you owned the Leaf for about 20 months now? I'm just trying to figure out how many miles it's driven on an annual basis. Would you be willing to share your ZIP code? On average, how many hours does the car sit outside in the sun each day? No Gid reading available, right?
Yeah, I bought it in March 2011. Zip code is 76060. The car is garaged at home, but sits in the sun while at work for 9 hours per day.

adric22 said:
surfingslovak said:
Yeah, I bought it in March 2011. Zip code is 76060. The car is garaged at home, but sits in the sun while at work for 9 hours per day.

you did fill out the plug in america survey right?

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/survey.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA said:
adric22 said:
surfingslovak said:

you did fill out the plug in america survey right?

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/survey.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gotta be entry #103 in the survey: http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/vehicle.php?vid=103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA said:
there is nothing wrong with charging to "full" as long as you dont leave it at "full" for an extended period of time. add to that; the car does not go to 100%. its a 24 Kwh battery with GIDS that are equal to 80 w/h each. that means 100% is 300 GID. you charge to 281 max. that is 94%.

We are splitting nuances here. A charge to 100% is just that; nobody specified charging to something that is not possible (charging to 100% SOC).

I recommend that any time somebody mentions charging to 80/100%, that we accept this at face value; what the BMS allows currently.

Stoaty said:
downeykp said:
If my memory serves me right, Nissan and the vast majority of people here are of the opinion that charging above 80% is not good for the battery.
That is not exactly correct. What is not good for the battery is charging to 100% and leaving it for a significant length of time fully charged. The problem is the amount of time spent at high SOC, especially if the temperature is high. There is very little evidence that charging to 100% and immediately driving the Leaf to below 80% is bad for the battery. Since you live in the best possible climate for battery longevity, I wouldn't worry about charging to 100% if you are going to start driving within a couple of hours.
Not to mention that low temps seems to do a good job of mitigating the battery degradation, anyway. I'd set the end time for when she leaves, and not sweat 2, or even 5 hours of sitting in the cold of early morning before she left.

Nubo said:
GRA said:
...how many millions of U.S. consumers, who've had effective heaters (barring VW Bugs/Buses) in their cars since the 1920s...

That example doesn't quite prove your point. The VW beetle was one of the all-time automotive success stories. With 21 million built, it was decidedly "mainstream" :)

The heat did suck though.
Sure, but the mainstream U.S. consumer in the '60s is far different from who they are now. Air conditioning didn't become universal in the U.S. market until what, the '90s (In my '88 Subaru it was a dealer-installed option)? My Dad's (subsequently my) '65 Impala had poor man's air conditioning - open the windows and footwell vents (remember them?) and go like hell. In the Bay Area it worked, it didn't on I-5 in the summer :cry: Power windows? Auto-dimming headlights and rear-view mirrors? Power doors with remote access? High-end Infotainment systems (hell, FM radios)?

As to the Beetle, that was a counterculture icon which made the leap to the mainstream, because it was small, reliable and _cheap_, a combination not offered by the big three at the time. If the Leaf had an MSRP of $15k instead of $35k, there would be some more people willing to put up with lack of heat, but a lot smaller % than would have in the '60s, because the standard of what is and isn't acceptable here has been raised. Cars sold in developing countries lack many of the features we've come to accept as basic in the U.S., because just being able to own a car is such a huge step up for them they'll happily do without, just as Ford Model T owners were willing to put up with the lack of heat until they had become common on other cars. And the self-starter remained optional on the T until well into the 1920s, but can you imagine that any car sold in the U.S. today could be sold with a crank only, and without a heater?

Gotta agree with GRA on that. If I need to prioritize issues that need to be resolved for mass adoption:

Range
Range
Battery degradation
Fast charging
Heat

All at a price that makes an EV's TCO economical for someone who might otherwise buy a Camry or Accord. Otherwise we might just be in the early adopter stage for a long time.

GRA said:
Sure, but the mainstream U.S. consumer in the '60s is far different from who they are now. Air conditioning didn't become universal in the U.S. market until what, the '90s (In my '88 Subaru it was a dealer-installed option)? My Dad's (subsequently my) '65 Impala had poor man's air conditioning - open the windows and footwell vents (remember them?) and go like hell. In the Bay Area it worked, it didn't on I-5 in the summer :cry: Power windows? Auto-dimming headlights and rear-view mirrors? Power doors (with remote access) and windows? High-end Infotainment systems (hell, FM radios)?
Hahah.. I have tried pointing this out to my wife before. She will literally throw a fit like you wouldn't believe if the temperature in the house or in the car is 1 degree off from where she likes it. Every now and then I try to remind her that humans have been on this planet for around 200,000 years and only in the last 50 years or so has air conditioning even been available to most people in their homes. All of those people before us have survived without it. Surely she can. But that doesn't seem to help any.

mkjayakumar said:
Gotta agree with GRA on that. If I need to prioritize issues that need to be resolved for mass adoption:

Range
Range
Battery degradation
Fast charging
Heat

All at a price that makes an EV's TCO economical for someone who might otherwise buy a Camry or Accord. Otherwise we might just be in the early adopter stage for a long time.
One of my biggest gripes about Japanese cars (three out of the four that I've owned) is that they bundle options that boost the car's utility with options that primarily boost the car's luxury value (and the manufacturer's profit), forcing you to pay for the latter when you only want the former. I realize this dates back to the days when they were only allowed to import a limited number of cars so they wanted to send the ones with the biggest markups, but the same limitation doesn't exist today.

Personally, I'll happily do without leather seats (prefer cloth), nav. systems (managed without one for 35 years, and can always buy a GPS for a lot less that does more and is updated more frequently), backup camera (ditto), cell phone connectivity (there are enough distracted drivers on the road; I refuse to be another one), automatic climate control (how many of you have bought Phil's mod?), power door locks and windows, provided I can use the money I've saved to pay for a bigger battery, QC and a faster L2 charger, a TMS, heated outside mirrors and a spare tire. Meet my needs on the basic car stuff first, before going crazy on the frills. Which is why the rumored unavailability of cruise control on the upcoming base model bugs me; CC is important for maximizing range without hypermiling, even in a car as short-ranged as the Leaf.

adric22 said:
GRA said:
Sure, but the mainstream U.S. consumer in the '60s is far different from who they are now. Air conditioning didn't become universal in the U.S. market until what, the '90s (In my '88 Subaru it was a dealer-installed option)? My Dad's (subsequently my) '65 Impala had poor man's air conditioning - open the windows and footwell vents (remember them?) and go like hell. In the Bay Area it worked, it didn't on I-5 in the summer :cry: Power windows? Auto-dimming headlights and rear-view mirrors? Power doors (with remote access) and windows? High-end Infotainment systems (hell, FM radios)?
Hahah.. I have tried pointing this out to my wife before. She will literally throw a fit like you wouldn't believe if the temperature in the house or in the car is 1 degree off from where she likes it. Every now and then I try to remind her that humans have been on this planet for around 200,000 years and only in the last 50 years or so has air conditioning even been available to most people in their homes. All of those people before us have survived without it. Surely she can. But that doesn't seem to help any.

:lol:

we are constantly told that each of us is unique and that maybe true but our wants, desires and actions are not all that different.

My SO is the same way. I like it cold. i rather huddle up with a blanket on the couch and watch TV (or movie since we dont have TV service) with thermostat set to 62º. She rather set it to 72º and sit around in a t shirt.

I also do it because I dont want to pay for heat anymore than is necessary. it is a waste of energy in my mind. now she is a "bit" younger than me but back when i was a kid, we lived in Alaska and the first year we were there they had coldest winter in the of past like 20 years. Naturally during the first week of what would end up to be a 6 week cold snap. the heat quit working.

we were on Army Base housing and the kitchen had swinging doors one to hallway the other to the dining room so we had all 4 burners on high and oven blasting away and that "warmed" us up to a balmy 45º. We literally lived in that kitchen for 4 days it took to get the heat back on. My dad was PO'd big time. we kids thought it was great. we could not sleep in the kitchen so we had these little tents that we pitched right in the living room with a space heater and special sleeping bags. it was awesome!

but hey, that is how it was.

the only thing we really agree on it turning the heat down to 60º at night. right now we have it at 68º. her brand of compromise (which in itself is very rare) where temp is just below where she wants it and way above what I want it... oh well, i guess i wear a t shirt

anyway, just got disc 1 of Fringe Season 4 from Netflix. so i will sneak over, set the thermostat to 62. Now is this the season She starts driving the LEAF?

GRA said:
... Which is why the rumored unavailability of cruise control on the upcoming base model bugs me; CC is important for maximizing range without hypermiling, even in a car as short-ranged as the Leaf.
Why would it bug YOU? You have no intention of ever owning a LEAF, anyway.

davewill said:
GRA said:
... Which is why the rumored unavailability of cruise control on the upcoming base model bugs me; CC is important for maximizing range without hypermiling, even in a car as short-ranged as the Leaf.

what did the 0 say to the 10?
nice 1.
------
ditto on this post, Dave.

davewill said:
GRA said:
True, given Nissan's behavior toward their current owners they've lost me as a potential customer. But it's the mindset that bothers me, and as I said it's not just from Nissan, it's all the Japanese manufacturers. The two biggest issues regarding improving sales of BEVs are range and price. If they want to have the car considered by a larger share of the market, then they need to get the price down, the range up at the same price, or both. There is a segment of the market which, like me, is more concerned about the car's basic utility than we are with frou-frou features; we can add those later. But at least some of that market is in Romney's famous 47%, and another share is of people whose fed. liability is far less than $7,500. For that group, lower MSRP without losing functionality _as a car_ is critical.

Cruise control can be considered a frill, especially given the short range of affordable BEVs. But IME most Japanese cars are short on thigh support and leg room for American drivers; we're taller than the typical Japanese, although they're catching up to us now with higher protein diets. So, aside from helping to maximize range without hypermiling in a range-limited car, having cruise control makes longer trips possible in much greater comfort. My Subarus, especially the first one, would be very uncomfortable for me to cruise for more than 30 minutes or so without it.

FWIW, I was at the SF Auto Show on Monday (last day) and I was in/around the Leaf and people asked me some questions about the range. I pointed them to the 73 miles on EPA test rating on the sticker. I also mentioned to some that forget about 73 miles at highway speeds (for Nor Cal) and that it varied a lot depending on speed and other factors. I mentioned to some folks about 100 miles if going slow and Edmunds doing ~130 miles (and IIRC, someone here doing 150..)

I don't remember the exact words some folks used but I recall some folks characterized the 73 miles as "useless", "worthless" or "almost dangerous". One guy said he could (?) do 150 miles in a day (me too, but that's not that often for me right now).

Of course, I overheard one of the Nissan staffers at the booth (not sure if they're Nissan employees or contractors) tell someone (probably in response to range) "100 miles, on average". :roll: I didn't have the time or motivation to argue w/them. If people buy a Leaf expecting 100 miles of range on average and they have lots of highway driving, they will be VERY disappointed.

FWIW, my drive to Daly City BART (to take BART to Moscone Center) is ~57 miles, one way, mostly at highway speeds... and I had to meet someone for dinner in Serramonte Center afterward. If I had a Leaf, that'd have been a no can do for me.

Re: GRA's comment of cruise control.... "frill" or not, it's available even on the cheapest econoboxes and is pretty much standard on most cars sold in the US above say $25K (if not even lower). I'm pretty sure one can find an econobox w/equipped w/cruise control for <$18K. So... to leave out CC on a car that has a $30K+ upfront cost in the US seems silly.

Heck my former 255 hp 02 Maxima GXE (MSRP looks like it was $24,699 and invoice was supposedly $22,326, I'd paid about $75 above invoice) came with standard w/cruise control, HID headlights and a power driver's seat.

Side note back to the auto show: The test drives (http://www.sfautoshow.com/show-info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for Nissan ended at 4 pm, for some reason. I spoke to some folks who got into a Leaf (at the booth inside) a bit after 5 pm and seemed semi-interested. They said they'd just arrived at the show. I told them to go back outside and go for test drives pronto, before it's too late. They said they saw Leafs outside and nobody was around.

While those folks were still in the Leaf, I checked the show's web page and found that sadly, the test drives ended at 4. :( Oh well... Also, the times when I was waiting for test drives, it seemed there were not many takers for Leaf and '13 Altima test drives. They were all mostly sitting idle.

davewill said:

;-)

For someone who does not own a Leaf, to his credit he does a great job of picking out the pros and cons. In fact now that the early adopters are through, Nissan should be marketing and engineering Leafs for the likes of GRA.

adric22 said:

Interesting that I get into the same argument with my wife atleast once a month. The temp window that does not need a climate controlled environment seems so narrow, that sometimes I feel I am switching between AC and heat within the same drive or the same day.

Back