Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
So this car was charged 216 times. All but once it was below 35c and one time 35c-40c. The car has also take 981 trips, where the battery was always below 35c. Average speeds for those trips was 10mph:221, 10-20mph:150, 20-30:166, 30-40:165, 40-50:165, 50-60:57, 60+:14

It must be nice to be a SF bay area battery.

palmermd said:
Indeed. Being a Seattle battery must be even nicer, I imagine. Most of the packs around here tested at about 270 Gids 2 months ago. My Leaf has seen some steady decline since then, but I'm unsure about the rest of the owners. I imagine that most of them are in the 260s now.

palmermd said:
Depends on what part. For people who live in SF or near it, I'd say the conditions are comparable to the Seattle area (from having lived in the Seattle area for >9 years). For those who live in the South Bay, like in south SJ, our temps get MUCH hotter than SF. In the summer, it's not unusual for SF's highs to be 20-30 degrees lower than my area.

Those who live in hot areas like Concord also have it as bad or worse than my area.

cwerdna said:
palmermd said:
Depends on what part. For people who live in SF or near it, I'd say the conditions are comparable to the Seattle area (from having lived in the Seattle area for >9 years). For those who live in the South Bay, like in south SJ, our temps get MUCH hotter than SF. In the summer, it's not unusual for SF's highs to be 20-30 degrees lower than my area.

Those who live in hot areas like Concord also have it as bad or worse than my area.

Yep, plenty of microclimates here. It can be over 100 in Concord and in the '60's in Half Moon Bay. The weather anchors have to rattle off a dozen or more towns to give an accurate picture of the "current temperature". :lol:

Nubo said:
cwerdna said:
palmermd said:

Yep, plenty of microclimates here. It can be over 100 in Concord and in the '60's in Half Moon Bay.

Ahh, the 60's... I dream of temps in the 60's.

Nubo said:
cwerdna said:
palmermd said:

Yep, plenty of microclimates here. It can be over 100 in Concord and in the '60's in Half Moon Bay. The weather anchors have to rattle off a dozen or more towns to give an accurate picture of the "current temperature". :lol:

The car in question was a San Francisco city car (friend of Ingineer), and it had not seen a temperature above 35c it its lifetime. 200+ trips with charge cycles. I did not mean to get all the other bay area people in a ruffle. This coastal city car is clearly in the minority with stable temps always below 35c. I wish I could say the same for my car. And more importantly, I wish I could see the same database on my car.

My 2011 Leaf has officially lost one bar. It happened yesterday. Coincidentally, I was due for my 12 month evaluation at Nissan. When I picked the car up this afternoon after being serviced, the service guy says, “the battery test results indicate your battery is in great condition, here you go”, wanting me to sign off and pay for the service. I had to pressure him to review the report with me, and he did so reluctantly. The report in fact stated it has 11 bars, and further, a “five star” rating with the comment “your score is very high and good for your battery” for the categories on the report: charging, driving, storage. I asked the service guy why their forenamed “1 year battery capacity test” can show a 15% loss with 11 bars, and they claim a “five star” rating with the above mentioned comment. Especially when Nissan headquarters gave assurances of a 2 to 3% battery capacity loss a year, with a total of 20 to 30% loss in 10 years, whereas a 15% loss in one year is 5 times more then expected, and that in two years I will no longer be able to drive it where I need to go. He asked me, “do you drive it on the highway”? I asked him why he is asking this, and he stated, “highway driving can cause your loss of capacity”. Strange, but it seemed to me he was trying to blame me for the 15% loss. I believe those folks may be trained to use deception and misdirection when talking to customers, to make it seem that it is the driver’s fault. In any case, when I confronted him further, he did acknowledge the batteries lose capacity in the heat, and proposed I can call the Nissan hotline (as if it was his idea)!

I took possession of this 2011 Nissan 9/1/11, and it has 9089 miles. Not exactly a high mileage battery capacity loss. I park in at night in garage, outside during day, usually charge to 80%.

I had a similar exchange with my dealer and he made a point to say the five star rating I had had nothing to do with the state of the battery pack. He said it was solely a measure of my driving habits. I was charging and driving in the optimal way, but other factors (high temps) could reduce capacity and I would still get the five stars.

DesertDenizen said:
I had a similar exchange with my dealer and he made a point to say the five star rating I had had nothing to do with the state of the battery pack. He said it was solely a measure of my driving habits. I was charging and driving in the optimal way, but other factors (high temps) could reduce capacity and I would still get the five stars.

on a positive note, their stating it is a measure of driving habits is assurance that they will not formally blame me if it comes to a legal challenge of sorts, since it states in writing "its not my fault".

leiko49 said:
When I picked the car up this afternoon after being serviced, the service guy says, “the battery test results indicate your battery is in great condition, here you go”, wanting me to sign off and pay for the service.
Did you have items done other than the battery check ? Tell us you did NOT pay for the battery check, please ! The first two are free. Also, more info please: location (update your profile), driving style, charging style, etc (see a recent example report above).

Edit: info we'd like to see ... refer to wiki: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#one_bars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[/quote]Did you have items done other than the battery check ? Tell us you did NOT pay for the battery check, please ! The first two are free. Also, more info please: location (update your profile), driving style, charging style, etc (see a recent example report above).

Edit: info we'd like to see ... refer to wiki: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#one_bars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

Paid for tire rotation and such, not battery check.
Date of loss 8/21/2012
Location Phoenix
Mileage 9089
Months owned at loss 12 months minus one week
Vin 08276
Reported to Nissan 8/21/2012
Case number 9217138
Usually charge to 80%, mixture of highway to city driving, park at night in garage, day outside

Nubo said:
cwerdna said:
palmermd said:

Yep. This past Saturday, here were some forecasted high temps for Sunday from NBC Bay Area:
San Jose (not my part, mine gets hotter): 80
Morgan Hill: 92
Gilroy: 93
Pleasanton: 92
Concord: 88
San Francisco: 66
Half Moon Bay: 64
Pacifica: 65

Those that live out by the water (e.g. SF, Half Moon Bay, Pacifica), will likely have a lot better luck w/their Leaf's battery...

leiko49 said:
My 2011 Leaf has officially lost one bar. I posted last week a fluctuation to 11 from 12, then returning to twelve. It happened again yesterday. Coincidentally, I was due for my 12 month evaluation at Nissan. When I brought it to them this morning, it had 12 bars, and told them about the fluctuation, and that I was prepared to call the Nissan hotline as soon as it goes to 11 bars for good. When I picked the car up this afternoon after being serviced, the service guy says, “the battery test results indicate your battery is in great condition, here you go”, wanting me to sign off and pay for the service. I had to pressure him to review the report with me, and he did so reluctantly. The report in fact stated it has 11 bars (when I brought it to them it had 12 bars), and further, a “five star” rating with the comment “your score is very high and good for your battery” for the categories on the report: charging, driving, storage. I asked the service guy why their forenamed “1 year battery capacity test” can show a 15% loss with 11 bars, and they claim a “five star” rating with the above mentioned comment. Especially when Nissan headquarters gave assurances of a 2 to 3% battery capacity loss a year, with a total of 20 to 30% loss in 10 years, whereas a 15% loss in one year is 5 times more then expected, and that in two years I will no longer be able to drive it where I need to go. He asked me, “do you drive it on the highway”? I asked him why he is asking this, and he stated, “highway driving can cause your loss of capacity”. Strange, but it seemed to me he was trying to blame me for the 15% loss. I believe those folks may be trained to use deception and misdirection when talking to customers, to make it seem that it is the driver’s fault. In any case, when I confronted him further, he did acknowledge the batteries lose capacity in the heat, and proposed I can call the Nissan hotline (as if it was his idea)!

I took possession of this 2011 Nissan 9/1/11, and it has 9089 miles. Not exactly a high mileage battery capacity loss. I park in at night in garage, outside during day, usually charge to 80%.
I'm shocked to think you would accuse a dealership of "deception and misdirection". Shocked I tell you, shocked!

[/quote]
I'm shocked to think you would accuse a dealership of "deception and misdirection". Shocked I tell you, shocked![/quote]

Laughing so hard, I tipped too far back on my chair and spilled my wine

One thing I have not seen discussed, I remember the info and disclaimers when ordering the car mentioned increased battery capacity loss if the car is driven at high speeds (above 55mph)

Maybe someone can find those references

I know heat is causing the problems , it's obvious by the groupings in hot states, but could high speed commutes contribute?

kmp647 said:
One thing I have not seen discussed, I remember the info and disclaimers when ordering the car mentioned increased battery capacity loss if the car is driven at high speeds (above 55mph)

I know heat is causing the problems , it's obvious by the groupings in hot states, but could high speed commutes contribute?

I can speak of my driving habits. When the dealer replaced my car's display panel at 8000 miles, he reset it. After 5 months of driving, (Feb to Jul), when I lost once capacity, the odometer reading was 13500, average speed 20 mph (which indicates minimum highway driving, because I do not live close to any major highway) and 5.0 mi/kw efficiency. In my case, the heat is the only factor.

kmp647 said:

I went through the entire customer disclosure form, all four pages, and this is all I could find. That said, if you went 70 mph on the freeway, which many of us won't do anyway because of range implications, the power draw from the battery would be around 24 kW or 1C. That's still pretty conservative as far as batteries go. If memory serves, power draw at 87 mph is about 40 kWh or less than 2C, which is OK as well. Is it conceivable that the dealer tech was confused or did not know what he was talking about?

leafbatterydisclaimer

leiko49 said:
Date of loss 8/21/2012
Location Phoenix
Mileage 9089
Months owned at loss 12 months minus one week
Vin 08276
Reported to Nissan 8/21/2012
Case number 9217138
Usually charge to 80%, mixture of highway to city driving, park at night in garage, day outside
Added to Wiki, thanks. Now at 60 reported cases of at least one capacity bar loss.

TomT said:
Forgot to report my case number of my lost capacity tick... Case number 9214732.
Wiki updated, thanks.

vrwl said:
Ahh, the 60's... I dream of temps in the 60's.

Not I! The 60's here in the winter is too cold. When it's dry (low humidity), 70's and 80's is ideal. With your humidity, those temps wouldn't be very comfortable.

Back