BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFer said:
TonyWilliams said:
LEAFer said:
... your external charger ...

Yes, I can control voltage, phase, current, etc.
Will it (portble DCQC) be available on the return trip ? (However, I also do not advocate use of your "14-50 combiner" by inexperienced relay drivers.)

So far, it's not ready to go with me, so all the current pontificating might be for naught. However, if by some miracle I do take it, I will probably ship it back via another method.

As for the Quick 240-100, it's not needed when simple 50 amp service would do a fine job with increased safety for inexperienced users, but just not as fast.

Look what showed up in the mail:

7cbbc4cb.jpg

Ingineer said:
TonyWilliams said:
No specific date yet! But, I don't intend to be done with the car until June 20, 2012. So, let's say:

June 21 at the earliest from Seattle through Washington

June 22 through Oregon

June 23 through (real) northern California

June 24 still in northern California?

June 25 San Francisco Bay area?

July 1 Monterey Refuel Event

July 22 (on or before) my house in San Diego
Ok, I'll confirm that I can take on the return relay leg when we get closer and know when it will be, but I'll tentatively commit. =)

-Phil

@Phil: (your PM is turned off?)

Just a thought ... playing with dates for returning Tony's LEAF.

Our Greater Sacramento Area EAA (GSEAA) meeting was moved to 6/28 late afternoon in Davis. Are you available to attend with your QC Turbine Trailer and a second driver ? Charge up your LEAF and Tony's, and then take both back to the BayArea ?

If QC trailer is not an option ... are you able to get Vacaville DC QC turned on for the day ?

I could be the second driver and would like to attend the GSEAA meeting in Davis. Will there be an update on the status of Vacaville DC QC other than waiting on Eaton to install it? What's Vacaville and PG&E's positions?

Today, June 12, 2012, we start day one of a 9 day odyssey from Mexico to Canada in our 100% electric car, the Nissan LEAF. This car was designed and intended to be a short range, around town car, but with some basic charging station infrastructure, and a little luck, we will be able to drive this 73 mile (118km) US government rated (EPA) vehicle over 1600 miles (2500km) on the West Coast Electric Highway.

Some time later this afternoon, a brand new black 2012 LEAF SL, serial number 20782, will start at the city of Tijuana, Baja California Norte, Mexico, and end at my home in San Diego. A very easy first day of only about 33 miles (54km), but a great chance to check that our preparations are all in order. Tomorrow will be approximately 250 miles !!

Follow along with us on Twitter at "QCpower", or find our blog at http://www.QuickChargePower.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Tony Williams is an unemployed airline pilot and electric vehicle aficionado who lives in San Diego, California. He enjoys taking things apart, and sometimes putting them back together, usually not working the same way as when he started. The car he is driving is his second Nissan LEAF; his first one has already gathered 25,000 miles in the first 13 months of ownership. He loves to drive!

QCpower6.jpg

TomT said:
TonyWilliams said:
Look what showed up in the mail

Why would one need to go FROM a J1772 TO a NEMA?

I drive up to a reserved, known good EVSE in turtle mode, and find a big SUV leaking oil and gas all over the place, parked in the spot.

What to do? Whip out J1772 adapter, and plug in my EVSEupgrade EVSE with 16 amp service, and a NEMA L6-20 to NEMA 14-50 pigtail.

Now I can charge while I consider how to handle the SUV issue(s).

I'd just call the EPA and have it towed away as a toxic spill site... :lol:

But OK, if you are planning for the 99 percentile outlier, it might make sense... What did it cost?

TonyWilliams said:
I drive up to a reserved, known good EVSE in turtle mode, and find a big SUV leaking oil and gas all over the place, parked in the spot.

TonyWilliams said:
What to do?

Hmmm. You could start by letting the air out of his tires. :eek:

TonyWilliams said:
What to do? Whip out J1772 adapter, and plug in my EVSEupgrade EVSE with 16 amp service, and a NEMA L6-20 to NEMA 14-50 pigtail.
In other words so you can you an extension cord :) and here I thought you had 30 amp or higher CHAdeMO charger to use with that adapter up your sleeve :D

Spies said:
TonyWilliams said:
In other words so you can you an extension cord :) and here I thought you had 30 amp or higher CHAdeMO charger to use with that adapter up your sleeve :D

Well, you could do that, too. I could power my motorhome, too.

BTW, I thought the "Electric Highway" was your design, due to the similarity to the "Love My Leaf" logo.

Attachments

• ElecHwy.jpg
    ElecHwy.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 117
Phoenix said:
I could be the second driver and would like to attend the GSEAA meeting in Davis. Will there be an update on the status of Vacaville DC QC other than waiting on Eaton to install it? What's Vacaville and PG&E's positions?
Thanks for volunteering ! :D

As far as Vacaville DC QC ... I made an inquiry. PG&E is out of it, and it's apparently a slow & painful process between the City and Eaton. There's no guarantee that it will be operational for public use anytime soon. However, attempts will be made to have it powered-up for 6/28 for our purposes. But ... to repeat ... no guarantees.

TonyWilliams said:
Spies said:
TonyWilliams said:
Well, you could do that, too. I could power my motorhome, too.

Motorhomes tend to pull one or both "legs" off of a NEMA14-50 to provide 2x 120V from one NEMA14-50.
To do that they need the neutral and two hots.

J1772 provides only two hots (not neutral) so you get only 240V, and not "split phase" 120Vs.
So, I think "powering your RV" from J1772 might not work.
If you had a 240V air-conditioner or other big appliance they might work, but most other systems (TVs, microwaves, blenders, etc, would likely not work.)

I suppose you could put a big 240V to 120V step down transformer in your RV...

Not doing so good at the start. The Nissan dealer in Tijuana was happy to see the car, and I gave them a few of the promo t-shirts for the event ($30 for one, two for $50). They have the BC2BC logo on the sleeve, and both Love My LEAF and Quick Charge Power logos on the front).

Anyhoo, it appears that I got in the wrong lane while entering the USA at Tijuana, and the folks are deciding if that rates a $5000 fine (yes, you read the amount correctly).

tbleakne said:
Awesome graphics on the car, Tony. I hope to see the car in a news story, and I look forward to seeing some great scenery in the background. Best of luck.

It sounds like you are leaving without the 10 kW charger.

Thanks. It looks like it isn't going to happen, but I planned for either way.

Back