BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Anyhoo, it appears that I got in the wrong lane while entering the USA at Tijuana, and the folks are deciding if that rates a $5000 fine (yes, you read the amount correctly).
WTF??? The Mexican drug lords got you and are asking for a ransom? Who exactly is attempting to fine you - I must assume the USA since they are the ones who control inbound traffic...

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
Anyhoo, it appears that I got in the wrong lane while entering the USA at Tijuana, and the folks are deciding if that rates a $5000 fine (yes, you read the amount correctly).
WTF??? The Mexican drug lords got you and are asking for a ransom? Who exactly is attempting to fine you - I must assume the USA since they are the ones who control inbound traffic...

USA Customs / Border Patrol. There's some special program to go in the lane I was in, with a cutesy acronym that I didn't know anything about.

I talked my way out of it.

Customs: Mr. Perp, why were you in Mexico?

Perp (me): I'm doing a tour like it says all over the car.

Customs: Where are the license plates?

Perp: it's a new car.

Customs: Don't let this happen again.

Perp: I promise I won't be going back to TJ any time soon.

Trip CHARGE REPORT:

3 of 4 Blink L2's in Mission Valley Macy's didn't work. Fortunately, I had my Car2go card, and could move the car in front of the singular working EVSE.

TonyWilliams said:
USA Customs / Border Patrol. There's some special program to go in the lane I was in, with a cutesy acronym that I didn't know anything about.

The SENTRI lane. Looked it up to see what could possibly have triggered an inadvertent $5000 fine. If it's any consolation, you're not the only one to have fallen into the snare.

Nubo said:
TonyWilliams said:

The SENTRI lane. Looked it up to see what could possibly have triggered an inadvertent $5000 fine. If it's any consolation, you're not the only one to have fallen into the snare.
Crazy! I'd never heard of this before, but I recall NEXUS/FAST lanes at the Canada/US border. Since I didn't travel there frequently, I always ignored those lanes.

I'm glad he was able to get out of paying an insane fine.

Good luck to you Tony! (I haven't been following this thread, but my personal prediction is that you will run into numerous charging problems/difficulties due to ICEd spots or downed units and will fall behind schedule.)

TonyWilliams said:

I guess that precludes the suggestion I was going to make, that we relay all the way back to Baja and make this a BC 2 BC 2 BC marathon :twisted:

I would have felt badly if he had to pay the fine since I sort of encouraged him (in this thread) to cross the border into Mexico. Thank God they let him off the hook!

Looking forward to the trip reports!

Wow, really? you obviously don't cross the US land borders very often.

As an american who moved to Montreal 3 years ago, and crosses back into Vermont and New York on a regular basis, I am kind of galled at your attitude here. Why would you think of crossing the border without valid license plates?? Thats just asking for trouble. I suggest you get your plates sorted before you cross over into Canada. Canadian customs will not be as sanguine as the Mexicans were when you went out. The NEXUS lanes are also fairly popular, I'm surprised you hadn't heard of them. Generally, if your at a crossing, and you see a lane marked with a sign for something you don't understand, DON'T GO IN IT.

Also, being snarky to US border agents doesn't help at all. Keep it straight, and don't try to be cute.

.... Good luck on the rest of the trip.

-- Chex in Montreal

Customs: Where are the license plates?

Perp: it's a new car.

Customs: Don't let this happen again.

chex said:
Why would you think of crossing the border without valid license plates??

A new car with temporary plates are valid plates.

It sounds like an an honest mistake with the lane issue. Border Patrol apparently thought so, too. Don't be so judgmental.

Good luck with the trip, Tony!

shrink said:
chex said:
Why would you think of crossing the border without valid license plates??

A new car with temporary plates are valid plates.

It sounds like an an honest mistake with the lane issue. Border Patrol apparently thought so, too. Don't be so judgmental.

Good luck with the trip, Tony!

California Fast Track lane violations are something like $25, that seems more reasonable. $5k, gasp.
It's easy to get mixed up crossing the border in TJ, the place is intense and not in a fun way.

Crossing the border into Canada is a walk in the park in comparison. Way less border soldiers with machine guns and less drug gangsters looking to shoot you.

chex said:
Wow, really? you obviously don't cross the US land borders very often.

As an american who moved to Montreal 3 years ago, and crosses back into Vermont and New York on a regular basis, I am kind of galled at your attitude here. Why would you think of crossing the border without valid license plates?? Thats just asking for trouble. I suggest you get your plates sorted before you cross over into Canada. Canadian customs will not be as sanguine as the Mexicans were when you went out. The NEXUS lanes are also fairly popular, I'm surprised you hadn't heard of them.
I think in his case, they were SENTRI lanes, which I've never heard of. NEXUS != SENTRI

As for "getting plates sorted", that may not be possible. In CA, when you buy a new car, your plates get mailed to your home address days or weeks after you've purchased it. Since Tony's going to be driving, I'm not sure how he's going to get them.

In WA state, they mail them to the dealer, days or weeks later. I had my dealer mail them to me when I lived there since the dealer was >40 miles away, one way.

abasile said:
I would have felt badly if he had to pay the fine since I sort of encouraged him (in this thread) to cross the border into Mexico.
I'd have felt bad too since I also encouraged him to start in Baja California so the publicity for the trip would be better. Hmmm, I guess if he had been arrested that could have garnered even more publicity :) or at least it works for movie stars.

No chance of him sorting out his license before he reaches Canada: it takes CA DMV months to send plates for a new car, during which time you must have your papers taped to the windshield. I'm not surprised Tony hadn't been to Tijuana recently despite it being so close he could almost walk. The border waits at customs are often so long you could drive to Los Angeles faster, so I almost never bother to go. However I am surprised he'd never heard of the "Sentri lanes" since the radio traffic reports usually give the border wait times for regular lanes and for Sentri lanes.

Here's to smoother travel to you from here on out, Tony!

walterbays said:
However I am surprised he'd never heard of the "Sentri lanes" since the radio traffic reports usually give the border wait times for regular lanes and for Sentri lanes.

Here's to smoother travel to you from here on out, Tony!

Wow, interesting comments on my travels so far. No, I don't cross many borders in a land based vehicle, however I've been through customs all over the world, and in some quite inhospitable ones, too. My passport "holder", for instance, has the Iraqi flag on it... I got it first hand. I've managed not to pay any huge fines or get arrested so far.

As to the license plates, I think that was addressed. California doesn't give out plates until the data is in their computer, and no, they WILL NOT let you go to a DMV field office and register it. I tried on the last LEAF. I have personalized plates, and I would be happy to mount them, but that would be ILLEGAL. So, I will be going to the Canada border without plates, but will have the proper and legal documents required for my state.

I'm uploading the video now, so you all can crucify me for my error. Remember, I only went about 1 mile into Mexico, and was there for less than 30 minutes. Walter, I don't watch local TV or listen to local radio much, and when I do cross the border with dirt bikes, we go to Tecate, and there's never been a problem. Ever. Also, to Sentri lane. I've flown several of my personal airplanes between the various airports of entry, which has a number of steps required to gain entry to the USA. Never got arrested or fined there, either.

As a smart alec 21 year old crossing the TJ border back into the US, I tried to be cute with the guards. US guard asked what country I was from. I replied: "No hablo Ingles" (I don't speak English).

That triggered a 30 minute detention and 10 minute lecture from the US guards on proper etiquette to cross the border. They weren't amused and I was terrified :oops:

Back