Tire trouble

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desertstraw

I would like to hear about the experiences of Leaf drivers who have had tire trouble. How well does the included repair kit work? If you needed Nissan's emergency service, how good was it.

You don't want to use the slime that they include with the kit because that will ruin the tire pressure monitor system device on the tire and that will be VERY expensive to replace ($150 for it alone). I'd only use it for a real emergency if you can't arrange to call a tow truck at all.

Volusiano said:
You don't want to use the slime that they include with the kit because that will ruin the tire pressure monitor system device on the tire and that will be VERY expensive to replace ($150 for it alone). I'd only use it for a real emergency if you can't arrange to call a tow truck at all.

I have never owned a vehicle with a tire pressure monitor system. If you have a flat and come to a rolling stop, will the monitor system survive? How durable are they?

This is my first TPMS, too. But I think it should survive a rolling flat because I assume it's designed into the stem and doesn't stick out too far from the wheel well. What can ruin it, though, is the slime that get injected through it, causing it to get clogged up.

I would recommend a tire repair/plug kit be carried in any leaf and some gloves and a flashlight

If you have a nail or whatever you can remove the nail plug the tire and reinflate without the slime

I carry this in all my cars

kmp647 said:
I would recommend a tire repair/plug kit be carried in any leaf and some gloves and a flashlight

If you have a nail or whatever you can remove the nail plug the tire and reinflate without the slime

I got a nail in the tread, the TPMS notified me, And I used the (pretty durable looking) included pump to fill the tire (no slime) so that I could drive 25 miles to the tire shop.

I carry a plug kit also, but the tire shop said they would not do a permanent tread repair, had I used it. They claimed that the probe could "damage" the cords, more than a nail would.

Not sure I believe them, but I now more or less regard putting in a plug, as the most "permanent" repair, that that tire will get.

We've had quite a bit of discussion on flat tires. See:
Flat tire
Flat tire experience
Leaf down pothole takes out front & rear drivers side tires
Roofing nails: Tell your LEAF not to play with them!
Low tire pressure warning
The cost of a blown tire

(I found these using the Google search box on the forum Search page. There are more listed there.)

On Nissan's emergency service, I debated using it when I split a sidewall (driving up over a curb), but elected to use my AAA coverage instead. The manual seems to say the Nissan service will only take you to a Nissan dealer, though some here have reported it to be more flexible. In my case I wanted to be towed home, then to a tire repair shop after I had arranged for a new tire.

Ray

linkim said:
I have never owned a vehicle with a tire pressure monitor system. If you have a flat and come to a rolling stop, will the monitor system survive? How durable are they?
I've had numerous flats on my Prius. The most recent which was due to either tire failure (wasn't an Ecopia EP422) or road hazard on the highway at above 70 mph+ (I wasn't driving but was in the car). The TPMS sensor has survived all of them.

For all the previous flats, they were discovered either visually first, while parked, via hissing sounds or via the light coming on right upon power up.

edatoakrun said:
kmp647 said:

I got a nail in the tread, the TPMS notified me, And I used the (pretty durable looking) included pump to fill the tire (no slime) so that I could drive 25 miles to the tire shop.

I carry a plug kit also, but the tire shop said they would not do a permanent tread repair, had I used it. They claimed that the probe could "damage" the cords, more than a nail would.

Not sure I believe them, but I now more or less regard putting in a plug, as the most "permanent" repair, that that tire will get.

Tire guy wanted to sell you a new tire, that's all. I've plugged a zillion tires beginning back around 1955 when I got my first car, a 1950 Kaiser Traveller (look that one up in antiques). I've plugged heli tires, small plane tires (there is an FAA approved A&P Procedure for this). Only things you shouldn't plug are very high pressure tires like they have on those ghetto blaster cars with 150+ psi. Don't know about nitrogen filled tires, but would presume same as air. Nitro filled tires are just another hoke from the tire folks who want your money.

YMMV

Dave

I just got my fourth tire issue, this time a roofing nail in the left rear. I didn't have to put the spare on, and I'll pull the wheel, put in a plug, and a patch on the inside of the tire. Yes, plugs can leak.

I have used the Nissan and AAA road service, each once. Both performed well for a dead car on the road.

I do not use, nor recommend, the tire goop that comes with the car, unless I had no spare, and I were transporting somebody to a hospital. It will destroy the $150 tire sensors in the wheel.

Nissan specifically warns about this. On page 6-3 (page 264 of the online PDF) of the 2011 Leaf Owners Manual, there is the following:

Attachments

• nissan.jpg
    nissan.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 82
I recommend carrying the tire plug kit that you can buy at any auto parts store. With that, you have all the tools to fix a flat from a nail properly, without the ridiculous slime stuff. The car comes with an air pump.

I also recommend that you get the T-handled version, and not the ones that look like a screwdriver.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-Tire-Plug-Kit/dp/B000ET525K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rokeby said:
FWIW, most makers of the tire inflaters with patch goop say that they
won't cause damage to TPMS sender units.

Fix-a-Flat
Slime

I'd love to call them up and hear how that's possible. But, my mumbo jumbo limit has already been reached for the year.

Certainly, it's not self serving to say that... More cars have TPMS, their business would drop drastically if their product caused issues.... yep, I think their comments are as pure as the driven snow.

TonyWilliams said:
I recommend carrying the tire plug kit that you can buy at any auto parts store. With that, you have all the tools to fix a flat from a nail properly, without the ridiculous slime stuff. The car comes with an air pump.

I also recommend that you get the T-handled version, and not the ones that look like a screwdriver.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-Tire-Plug-Kit/dp/B000ET525K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seconded, with the caveat to drive on the plug as little as possible until you can get the tire properly repaired for return to service, meaning plug AND internal patch.

TonyWilliams said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+1

Used this twice on the same tire for screw repairs. Tire hasn't leaked at all in thousands of miles ;)

Back