Michelin Energy Saver A/S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlmalisz

The factory Ecopias that came on our 21 S Plus are shot. We’re running Blizzaks until spring, but will need to get new summer rubber then. Since Costco does seasonal tire swaps cheaply for tires they’ve sold, inclined to go with something they sell.

They carry Ecopias, Turanza Quiettracks, and the tires in the title. We didn’t hate the Ecopias, but are considering other options.

Would love to hear from LEAFers who have put miles on the Michelin Energy Savers. Or the Turanzas. Not interested in the Michelin winter rubber until out Blizzaks wear out.

Thanks in advance.

—Richard

My 2015 and 2019 both came with OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. I personally consider them to be the worst passenger car radial tires I have owned. I found the OEM Ecopias that came on the 2011 to be much better in terms of wet and dry braking traction and handling as long as they were inflated to 44 psi. I purchased a set of Ecopias for the 2015 (last set of tires) because I needed better efficiency as the battery deteriorated and I knew that the Ecopias offered reasonable traction/handling (again, if inflated to 44 psi). Since range is not an issue with the 2019 SL Plus, I am on my second set of Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires which I really like. I replaced the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires at 15,000 miles because I did not like the extended stopping distance (wet or dry, regardless of inflation pressure) and vague handling.

GerryAZ said:
....., I am on my second set of Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires which I really like. I replaced the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires at 15,000 miles because I did not like the extended stopping distance (wet or dry, regardless of inflation pressure) and vague handling.
I was in a similar scenario as the OP, had good "winter" tires but needed ones I could run in the summer. I was happy with my AFTERMARKET Costco Ecopia +'s(OEM Ecopias were crap that wore out in 20k miles) but they weren't good in the snow, wet was OK. Anyway, while I agree Costco does give a pretty nice deal on swapping tires sold by them, it's still not cheap. I believe $60?? spring and fall. If I were to purchase more summer tires I'd be destined to continually swapping tires which again costs money plus time.
In the end I purchased the Cross Climate 2's with the thinking I could use them as summer tires until my winter tires wore out and then just use the Cross Climates year round. I was so happy with the winter handling of the Cross Climates that just this fall I sold my winter tires so I didn't have to mess with installing them this fall and will probably just stick with Cross Climates for all my cars year-round, or a similar winter rated all-weather tire. While it's probably true that for the absolute best traction a dedicated winter tire is best, the all-weather tires are really good and much better than all-season tires of yesterday and probably even today.
OP if you really want separate tires I'd suggest the Ecopia +'s for summer, the aftermarket ones I had wore well and were very efficient and great prices at Costco, especially when they are on discount which I believe Bridgestones are this month??
I've normally been a Micheline kind of guy, especially after my quick wearing OEM Ecopia's but I believe they were just cheap crap they meant to wear out quickly and for a low PP for the mfg. I considered the aftermarket +'s to be a solid value.

We live up on something of a hill...elevation change only 300 feet or so over 0.7 miles. But chunks of it are 14% grade...really gets my attention at the end of a bike ride. And we're west of Portland OR. So we rarely get dry, puffy snow...what we gets is wet, heavy snow that packs down to ice. Or even just freezing rain. I lived in an apartment where we got a shot of freezing rain overnight, and when I went out in the morning, the wind had gotten my parked car moving and it had settled to the storm drain in the lot. Where it stayed until things thawed out a bit. I fell down twice just walking out to it.

We had a snow/ice storm hit where we live now. I had put Blizzaks on our Ridgeline (and all our vehicles) for the season. Went out for a test drive. No issues. Stopped at the bottom of one of those 14% sections...got out, could barely stand upright. Got back in, put truck in drive, floored it. No fishtailing, acceleration enough to push me back in my seat. They're not as good as cable chains in those conditions, and require care going *downhill* in those conditions, but we can get around with confidence, other vehicles with inadequate traction notwithstanding.

So for winter, we're Blizzak folks. But they do chew up 10%+ of our range/efficiency, and our summers are too warm to run them year round. Appreciate all the input. Will just get Ecopias from Costco when April rolls around...unless a better option rolls out before.

--Richard

Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires were the factory installed tires on my 2019 SV Plus. They have 40K on them, I like the way the car handles, although I am careful when driving on slick roads. They're probably good for another 5K, but I am going to replace them before the winter, maybe with another set of the same, but wouldn't mind recommendations for other tires. Cooper Pro Control tires were recommended by a local tire shop.

I found the Michelins to be poor in wet and snow.

I am having a good experience so far with my Sailun eRange tires, but no real snow in Chicago yet to fully test. Wet and dry grip has been good.

For my housemate's Plus, we found Goodyear UltraGrips on clearance for s little under $100, so we put a set on and she's going to drive them year round, into the ground. We drive few miles, and so far they seem to be holding up fine. My Michelin x-Ice tires on Winter wheels are sitting in the garage waiting to be swapped on. I find it very hard to lift the tires/wheels now. Does anyone make a portable wheel lift? :cry:

LeftieBiker said:
I find it very hard to lift the tires/wheels now.

That's one of the reasons I lean toward all weather tires or simply running winter tires all year. (The other reason is that swapping tires twice each year is ridiculously expensive.)

A portable wheel lift looks like this. You may be able to rent one from a local rental outfit.

Back