Wow Phil !! Im glad I didnt try THAT hack !!
So here is the report youve all been waiting for: The LEAF is back from the dealer after it had a stroke after my hack. This is from the ticket, typo's and all:
Customer states T/M malfunction light is on:
p189D / P0571 / U1000 SHIFT CONTROL UNIT #12 FUSE SOCKET LOOSE
TENSION HAS WEAK CONTACT CAUSE NO POWER TO CONTROL UNIT
TRACE WIRE FROM CONTROL UNIT TO FUSE AND BRAKE SWITCH FOUND
CUSTOMER STATES I KEY MALFUNCTION LIGHT IS ON
SEE LINE 51
CUSTOMER STATES THE 3 LIGHTS DONT COME ON WHILE CHARGING PLEASE ASVISE MAKE SURE LIGHTS ARE WORKING THE WAY ITS SUPPOSE.
PUT NEW FUSE AND CHECK SOCKET TIGHT AND SECURE
And FYI, the Engineer said to the Service advisor that the shift control unit has some problems with the connections that "just come loose with time" and there were two examples of this exact problem in all the leafs produced so far. Just 2. The service advisor said the brake switch was the main problem, then the computer wouldnt clear the codes after the correction. They wanted the original computer to take with them. My bad eyesight arranged for a daring attempt at checking the fuses, to wit, I put ONE in crooked, and one was actually blown. .... That I missed. Im only 57 !! Of course, I just had my Lasik, and its great, but Im not all the way healed. What a geriatric I am !! LOL ~~ !!!!!
Good luck with all your hacks everyone. Hope you all can get that dam VSP OFF on the later Leafs....