HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my 2012 there is an icon that lights up when the VSP is disabled. It is to the left of the passenger air bag light.

To add a button you need to add the removed wire at pin 5 and connect it to ground through a normally open push button. There is enough clearance at the connector that a wire could be soldered to the connector pin at the circuit board.

In my case a small circuit automatically simulates that the button was pushed to disable the noises.

How interesting that there's a dash indicator for it on the 2012, but no button... It's possible they still include the button in other markets (outside the USA), but why leave the dash wiring in place when they remove other wiring that isn't used?

My 2012 with VSP off circuit also turns on that annunciator all the time, and I was also wondering why they left it in.
Even more amusing is that in the 2012 manual, page 2-14 denotes that this light indicates a VSP system malfunction!

Wow. Strange that the 2012 includes a dash light when the 2011 did not.
TimLee said:
In the 2011, the light is on the VSP off button. Light is on when VSP is off, light goes out when VSP is on.
For those with a 2011, can you tell us where the button light connects to the VSP?

I see that their has been some success with the MY2012 and disabling the VSP. But I'm unclear what "success" means. Since their is no green wire for the pin 5, are people still able to splice in a "button"? If not, how do you disable the VSP on the 2012? Just cut a wire?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm determined to figure this out and am a bit confused about following Phil's diagram. Again, if there's a simple way to access the speaker from underneath the vehicle (as previously mentioned) or to just pull a wire from the VSP module without losing other functionality, I would love any details.

Thanks to all.

If you can source a suitable pin (try Radio Shack, one of their DIY serial port kits will probably work) you should be able to crimp on your own wire and pop it into the connector.

Phil's solution is nice because it's "analog" and doesn't rely on external pins since you do it on the inside. It's also cheaper. But if you're not very comfortable with your soldering skills, and/or are confused by the diagram I would pass on it for sure.

It's been mentioned here (though this thread is getting a bit long now) that disconnecting the speaker will cause you to loose charging beeps and some other "system sounds" as well (I forget what exactly, door lock chirps I think). If you're OK with that, it's been said disconnecting the speaker is relatively each to access and unplug. I've not followed where it is under the hood, but I could have a look in the service manual again, or you can try combing this thread again - it's probably been talked about somewhere...

HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
I see that their has been some success with the MY2012 and disabling the VSP. But I'm unclear what "success" means. Since their is no green wire for the pin 5, are people still able to splice in a "button"? If not, how do you disable the VSP on the 2012? Just cut a wire?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm determined to figure this out and am a bit confused about following Phil's diagram. Again, if there's a simple way to access the speaker from underneath the vehicle (as previously mentioned) or to just pull a wire from the VSP module without losing other functionality, I would love any details.

Thanks to all.

I just soldered a wire to pin 5 of the VSP's connector on the circuit board itself. Actually, all of my wires are soldered to the PCB. I figured if I had to do one that way, might as well do all of them that way...

I have disabled my VSP primarily to eliminate the backup beeps. I think that the VSP part is a good idea. It would sure be nice to get the module flashed like an English Leaf with the backup beep disabled.

So the Leaf's in GB don't have the reverse chime? Interesting. Well, at the very least it should be possible to simply order a replacement VSP module from GB. However, I suspect it's not cheap. Anyone have a GB VSP part #?

-Phil

My project for the weekend is to use the backup relay to open the external VSP speaker using a normally closed relay. Since the backup relay lives in the relay fuse pod next to the firewall it should be easily doable.

The English backup is removed due to late night noise restrictions.

garsh said:
Wow. Strange that the 2012 includes a dash light when the 2011 did not.
TimLee said:
In the 2011, the light is on the VSP off button. Light is on when VSP is off, light goes out when VSP is on.
For those with a 2011, can you tell us where the button light connects to the VSP?
The indicator light is on pin 14 according to the MY2011 service manual. If you carefully work that pin out of the harness, and tape it off so it doesn't ground against the chassis, you should disable the indicator in an easily reversible fashion.

Well, its done. I returned the VSP module to stock and added a backup mute relay. The hardest part was breaking the VSP speaker wire at the left drivers fender. If it was not a lease where I wanted no obvious harness cuts, it would have been much easier to interrupt the signal at the VSP module.

occ said:
gkalexdc said:
Wow Phil !! Im glad I didnt try THAT hack !! :lol: So here is the report youve all been waiting for: The LEAF is back from the dealer after it had a stroke after my hack. This is from the ticket, typo's and all:
LINE 51
Customer states T/M malfunction light is on:
p189D / P0571 / U1000 SHIFT CONTROL UNIT #12 FUSE SOCKET LOOSE
TENSION HAS WEAK CONTACT CAUSE NO POWER TO CONTROL UNIT
TRACE WIRE FROM CONTROL UNIT TO FUSE AND BRAKE SWITCH FOUND
LINE 52
CUSTOMER STATES I KEY MALFUNCTION LIGHT IS ON
SEE LINE 51

CUSTOMER STATES THE 3 LIGHTS DONT COME ON WHILE CHARGING PLEASE ASVISE MAKE SURE LIGHTS ARE WORKING THE WAY ITS SUPPOSE.
BLOW FUSE
PUT NEW FUSE AND CHECK SOCKET TIGHT AND SECURE

And FYI, the Engineer said to the Service advisor that the shift control unit has some problems with the connections that "just come loose with time" and there were two examples of this exact problem in all the leafs produced so far. Just 2. The service advisor said the brake switch was the main problem, then the computer wouldnt clear the codes after the correction. They wanted the original computer to take with them. My bad eyesight arranged for a daring attempt at checking the fuses, to wit, I put ONE in crooked, and one was actually blown. .... That I missed. Im only 57 !! Of course, I just had my Lasik, and its great, but Im not all the way healed. What a geriatric I am !! LOL ~~ !!!!! ;) Good luck with all your hacks everyone. Hope you all can get that dam VSP OFF on the later Leafs....

Love this thread!! Just read thru all of it, and gkalexdc's odyssey is what kept me reading! But....gkalexdc, you didn't finish your story! So did you continue and got your VSP modded and working? I really hope so, after all you've gone through...can't give up!

Well.....Im back !!! After the Dealer, I havent had the fortitude to pull the Glovebox off, (EZ enough to do) and check if I have power in all the right places. I have enough nerves in me to make a good toy poodle, so It takes me a while to power up again after the southbound experience I had. I have to say, I HATE my VSP, and hitting that switch EVERY time. I have all the information here, from all the regular geniuses, and I CAN solder like a MAMA JAMMA.....so, who knows. ONE saturday.....you will be maybe hearing from me that I tried again. I check on here to see if anyone else had my kind of experience, but I guess they arent as feeble minded as I am, and thus HAVENT had the crazys from it all. :lol:
I look forward to entertaining you all sometime soon though. I can feel my blood begin to get ornery again about this VSP thorn in my side.......

I connected a switch to pin 5 of the VSP module on my 2012 LEAF and was able to use it to toggle the sounds on and off.

I then added Phil's analog circuit, and now when the car starts up, it defaults to sound off, however the switch no longer toggles back to on.

I will examine things further in the morning, but was my understanding correct that with Phil's design, the switch would still work?

I thought so too, but I'm not enough of an electronics wonk to understand how it works. :lol:

Of course, the MY2012 is a bit of an unknown but all signs thus far point to the VSP module being the same...

MashedPotato said:
I connected a switch to pin 5 of the VSP module on my 2012 LEAF and was able to use it to toggle the sounds on and off.

I then added Phil's analog circuit, and now when the car starts up, it defaults to sound off, however the switch no longer toggles back to on.

I will examine things further in the morning, but was my understanding correct that with Phil's design, the switch would still work?
Did you use the correct capacitor, and be absolutely sure to observe the proper polarity? If so, you may have a bad capacitor. You could also try a slightly lower value.

The symptom of a backwards or too large of capacitor will be the button not responding, but try BRIEFLY hitting the Leaf's main power button while driving at least 15mph. If the VSP toggles, then it's definitely the capacitor. Pressing the power button will not power off the Leaf while moving at speed unless it is pressed 3 times or held, but in this case will toggle the VSP. In fact, this could be a "feature" for those not wishing to add a second button. :)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Did you use the correct capacitor, and be absolutely sure to observe the proper polarity? If so, you may have a bad capacitor. You could also try a slightly lower value.

The symptom of a backwards or too large of capacitor will be the button not responding, but try BRIEFLY hitting the Leaf's main power button while driving at least 15mph. If the VSP toggles, then it's definitely the capacitor. Pressing the power button will not power off the Leaf while moving at speed unless it is pressed 3 times or held, but in this case will toggle the VSP. In fact, this could be a "feature" for those not wishing to add a second button. :)
What a trip to hit the power button while driving and see the VSP light toggle! And what an amazing troubleshooter Phil is.

The polarity of the capacitor is correct, and it tests properly with the capacitance mode of my multimeter. I will try replacing it.

These are the parts I purchased from RadioShack.

4.7uF electrolytic capacitor
1N914/4148-Type diodes
MPS2222A transistor

On continued thinking, There may be an issue with the lack of the LED present in the 2012's causing the circuit to behave differently. You could try adding a 470 ohm resistor in place of the LED, and last suggestion I can think of is trying a smaller capacitor, such as a 3.3uF, or maybe even a 2.2uf.

Let us know what happens, as I will adjust the circuit to reflect your findings.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The symptom of a backwards or too large of capacitor will be the button not responding, but try BRIEFLY hitting the Leaf's main power button while driving at least 15mph. If the VSP toggles, then it's definitely the capacitor. Pressing the power button will not power off the Leaf while moving at speed unless it is pressed 3 times or held, but in this case will toggle the VSP. In fact, this could be a "feature" for those not wishing to add a second button.
Is that a "feature" of your analog circuit? I tried that with my trigger module solution and it did not toggle... Not that I need it to, but I wanted to try it.

Back