Battery charge levels and times

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Considering

I am considering a Leaf but the more I read on how long it takes to charge a Leaf the more confused I get..I need simple answers.

How long does it take to charge a LEAF with 120V if it is almost empty?

How long does it take to charge on the L2?

Are most of the charging stations at local Kroger or Walgreen stores L2?

Which fast onboard charger I can get for an additional 1K, is that the L2?
Or does the Leaf S come equipped with the L2 charger?

What is L3 and is it available anywhere?

Is the Leaf fast onboard charger equipped for L2 and L3 charger options?

I know this is a lot of questions but as I said, the more I read the more confused I was..simple yes and no answers will work best for me...thanks

Considering said:
I am considering a Leaf but the more I read on how long it takes to charge a Leaf the more confused I get..I need simple answers.

About 20 hours.
Depends on the car's charger. Most new LEAFs have a 6.0 kW charger that can fill the car in about 3 hours. A LEAF with a 3.3 kW charger would take about 5 to 6 hours. (Be aware that charging from empty to full is not all that common unless one is really stretching the range every day. Many people charge for shorter times each day.)
I believe so, yes. Most public charge stations are L2. A few are DCFC (DC Fast Charge "quick charge"). (L1 public charge stations are rare; instead 120 V outlets are offered and the EV driver brings his/her own EVSE to plug into it.) Be aware that not all L2 charge stations are the same. Some are 240 Volts and some are 208 Volts and a bit slower.
The charge package includes a 6.0 kW L2 charger plus DCFC "quick charge" capability. So, "both".
Yes. All LEAFs have L2 charging. The 2013/14 S model comes with 3.3 kW charger unless it has the charge package, in which case it has 6.0 kW L2 charging plus DCFC. I believe, but am not sure, that all 2015 LEAFs have the 6.0 kW L2 charger.
"L3" is sometimes (incorrectly) used to refer to 440 Volt DC Fast Charging ("quick charge"), also called "Chademo" (there are other incompatible fast charge standards but Chademo is the most common). DCFC can bring a LEAF up to 80% charge in around a half hour. DCFC public charge stations are much less common than L2 charge stations.
Yes, sort of. There are two separate charge ports on a car with DCFC. All LEAFs have a port for L1/L2 charging.
I know this is a lot of questions but as I said, the more I read the more confused I was..simple yes and no answers will work best for me...thanks
Yes, it's a lot to absorb!

What he said^

also, see http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find stations in your area

A 2015 S still comes with a 3.3 kW charger, unless you buy the upgrade.

dgpcolorado said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
...also, see http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find stations in your area...
When checking plugshare.com be aware that a LEAF can't use Tesla charge stations, including the Tesla Superchargers.

There is a filter for that, so you can turn on or off the superchargers. As for charging, I used to drive a 2012 Leaf with the 3.3 kW charger, and I'm now in a 2014 with 6.0 kW (the Leaf spec from Nissan says 6.6 kW). Even in the 2012, there were only two times that I was constrained by charging speed, when I had been driving all day, got home, and needed to recharge enough for more driving, but couldn't. So far, I've never had that situation. 6.6 kW is a dream! It makes the Leaf much more useful, which it already was.

And, as a side note, the charging stations at Walgreens are WILDLY expensive if you ever use one. Just map out the Nissan dealerships in your area - they're the best if they're convenient.

brentcd said:
And, as a side note, the charging stations at Walgreens are WILDLY expensive if you ever use one. Just map out the Nissan dealerships in your area - they're the best if they're convenient.

I wondered about that...so the dealerships allow usage for a fee and the chargers are not there just for the cars on sale and their employees?

dgpcolorado said:
Considering said:

About 20 hours.
Depends on the car's charger. Most new LEAFs have a 6.0 kW charger that can fill the car in about 3 hours. A LEAF with a 3.3 kW charger would take about 5 to 6 hours. (Be aware that charging from empty to full is not all that common unless one is really stretching the range every day. Many people charge for shorter times each day.)
I believe so, yes. Most public charge stations are L2. A few are DCFC (DC Fast Charge "quick charge"). (L1 public charge stations are rare; instead 120 V outlets are offered and the EV driver brings his/her own EVSE to plug into it.) Be aware that not all L2 charge stations are the same. Some are 240 Volts and some are 208 Volts and a bit slower.
The charge package includes a 6.0 kW L2 charger plus DCFC "quick charge" capability. So, "both".
Yes. All LEAFs have L2 charging. The 2013/14 S model comes with 3.3 kW charger unless it has the charge package, in which case it has 6.0 kW L2 charging plus DCFC. I believe, but am not sure, that all 2015 LEAFs have the 6.0 kW L2 charger.
"L3" is sometimes (incorrectly) used to refer to 440 Volt DC Fast Charging ("quick charge"), also called "Chademo" (there are other incompatible fast charge standards but Chademo is the most common). DCFC can bring a LEAF up to 80% charge in around a half hour. DCFC public charge stations are much less common than L2 charge stations.
Yes, sort of. There are two separate charge ports on a car with DCFC. All LEAFs have a port for L1/L2 charging.
Yes, it's a lot to absorb!

Awesome! That was exactly what I needed...when you say there are 2 separate charge ports on a car with DCFC..are you referring to different charger locations like one in the front and one in the back?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
What he said^

also, see http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find stations in your area

A 2015 S still comes with a 3.3 kW charger, unless you buy the upgrade.
Thank you...that is good to know

Both L1/L2 port and the DCQC port are in the nose/hood. Panel flips up kinda like a trunk release from a button on the dash or from yer remote.

Considering said:
I wondered about that...so the dealerships allow usage for a fee and the chargers are not there just for the cars on sale and their employees?
Most dealer's support customer use.
How and whether there is a fee varies a lot.
Most were free for a while but some are now charging for their use.

Back