HOME CHARGING OPTIONS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parts007

I am one step closer to that new 2016 Leaf SV. I would like to know if there are any recommended home charging setups.. The dealer rep doesn't know anything. I would assume there are required specs for a 240V home charger. I did a search here and did not find anything.. but I am definitely a newbie..i do have a 30 amp circuit running to my detached garage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.. thanks.

Next step is to figure out that Leaf Spy and the required parts. I have read the posts on this, but still confusing.. For another day...

Parts007 said:
I am one step closer to that new 2016 Leaf SV. I would like to know if there are any recommended home charging setups.. The dealer rep doesn't know anything. I would assume there are required specs for a 240V home charger. I did a search here and did not find anything.. but I am definitely a newbie..i do have a 30 amp circuit running to my detached garage.

Next step is to figure out that Leaf Spy and the required parts. I have read the posts on this, but still confusing.. For another day...

Lots of options.

If your commute is really small you can use the EVSE that comes with the car. This is really slow (Level 1) and does not work well for most people (due to slower rate of charge).

You can go the EVSEUpgrade route and charge at a much higher rate.

Personally, I'd say get an EVSE for Level 2 charging. If you have a 30 A circuit you can choose a 24A EVSE. Clipper creek is a good option that people recommend on here.

https://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/lcs-30-24-amp-level-2-ev-charging-station-25-ft-cable/

Juicebox is another good option which gives you more bang for the buck in the same price range and you are ready for when you have a higher A circuit. (It can be dialed down to 24A at this time but can go till 40A when needed).

http://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-Charger-Electric-Vehicle-Charging/dp/B00I4D6SJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461180737&sr=8-1&keywords=JuiceBox

Do the EVSEupgrade right off the bat and then you can get a second L2 EVSE once you determine if you want a plug-in or hard-wired (permanent) solution. I finally got another (plug-in) EVSE and stored my EVSEupgrade unit as a back-up.
I have a 30A dryer socket in my garage. You can buy/build an adapter cable to match whatever you end up with; I have an older Leaf so I settled on a P6-20 plug (max charge 16A).

Personally I'd suggest upgrading your stock EVSE(charger is the part in the car, the thing you plug into the car is called EVSE) to 20a by evseupgrade.com and carry that around and also purchase a 24a+ EVSE for your home. That way you have more options for charging on the go and also have the ability to recharge at the fastest rate you can at home. I'd also suggest something like a Juicebox or another EVSE that can be dialed down to 24a for now(if you indeed have only a 30a circuit) and would allow you to max out your Leaf at 27.5a on a 40a circuit.
Of course if your looking for the lowest initial cost and your OK with the little bit slower charging a 20a charge will give you, and your OK potentially taking the EVSE out of your car every night, for ~$300 and you'd be set with the evseupgrade.com option, it's up to you.
Myself I don't care to be frequently taking my evesupgrade'd EVSE out of the car and uncoiling it only to have to put it away the next time I drive my car(I wouldn't think of driving around without carrying one for an emergency) so I like the idea of a dedicated EVSE for at home, again you may feel different :)
Your cheapest option for a dedicated home EVSE that could be dialed down would probably be the GE Durastation, often times available on Amazon for $399, if you wanted it to plug in as apposed to being hard wired, you'd have to add the plug yourself(or hire an electrician).
Again most of the time it's $399 at Amazon, occasionally I see it for as much as $599.....Amazon has such crazy pricing :?
http://www.amazon.com/GE-Charger-Outdoor-Level-2-DuraStation/dp/B00VVFO39W/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1461184178&sr=1-2&keywords=level+2+ev+charger
So if you went with the Durastation and evseupgrade.com you'd have about $700 in EVSE's and maybe a bit more for plugs, which are also best to get on Amazon or evseupgrade.com, B&M stores are crazy expensive for heavy duty or locking plugs/receptacles.

I'll try to make it simple.

The max continuous load you can legally and safely put on a circuit is 80% of the circuit capacity. So a 30a circuit can only have 30a X 0.8 = 24a EVSE. A 40 amp circuit can handle 40a X 0.8 = 32amp ESEV.

The L1 EVSE that comes with the car is 15a/120v and it will add about 5 miles of range for every hour it's charging (20 hours to add 100 miles of range)

A L2 24a/240v ESEV will add about 20 miles of range for every hour irs charging (5 hours to add 100 miles of range)
A L2 32a/240v ESEV will add about 25 miles of range for every hour it's charging (4 hours to add 100 miles of range)

The L1 EVSE that comes with the car is 15a/120v and it will add about 5 miles of range for every hour it's charging (20 hours to add 100 miles of range)

Range varies with driving conditions, but the Nissan EVSE reliably adds 5% of a full charge every hour - sometimes a little closer to 6% if your line voltage is on the high end of normal. 5% is worth from two to six miles' worth of range, with four miles being the most common result.

I appreciate the great answers. I will access them all and figure what is best for me. Lots of good learning ahead.

So far with the two newbie questions I have asked, this forum has been super helpful...

Thanks again and you probably won't here from me for a few days while I figure all this out....haha!

Jjeff and flyct your answers actually make sense to me.

Clipper Creek has a chart that breaks down charge times for their various chargers...

http://www.clippercreek.com/blog/three-things-determine-ev-charge-time/

As noted above, there are a number of options. The optimum for you will depend on your budget vs. usage of the car.

If you only use it to commute to/from work and it will charge overnight, the L1 that comes with it may work fine and costs nothing. But as noted, putting the cord back in the trunk and getting it out each evening gets old fast. And you will want that with you for additional flexibility should your commute plans suddenly change mid day.

We found ourselves driving to dinner and errands in the Leaf anytime it was adequately charged. Having the 30amp L2, we find the car is ready to go whenever we are. So we drive it a lot more. Of course, this was one of the more expensive EVSEs and required an electrician to install the 40amp circuit. But that additional investment has translated into much more use of the Leaf and less of the ICEV.

Only you can weigh budget vs. the benefit of having the car charge quickly based on your circumstances/habits.

Parts007 said:
I would like to know if there are any recommended home charging setups. The dealer rep doesn't know anything.

That surprises me. For the longest time, Nissan's "official" charging solution for the US market (not sure about Canada) is their self-branded L2 (208/240 volt) unit made by AeroVironment. Those are the round ones you see at Nissan dealers.

nissan_home_charging_plugged_lg.png

I don't know about now, but you used to be able to bundle that EVSE and installation into the total cost of your new Leaf. So I'm surprised that the dealership didn't push you into getting one of these (of which they'll receive some profit of course).

While there is nothing wrong with the AV units, especially as sold through Nissan dealerships you're paying much more than a unit of similar or more capability from manufacturers like Clipper Creek, Siemens, Schneider, or Leviton.

LeftieBiker said:

Range varies with driving conditions, but the Nissan EVSE reliably adds 5% of a full charge every hour - sometimes a little closer to 6% if your line voltage is on the high end of normal. 5% is worth from two to six miles' worth of range, with four miles being the most common result.

That's why I stated "about" 5 miles of range.

If the OP buys a 2016 SV or SL, with a 30 AH Battery, the charge rate will still be the same miles per hour of charge but the "by percentage" may be 25% less and getting full charge will take longer since it is a higher capacity battery.

Parts007 said:

If you are a DIY'er and want a great deal of flexibility with a charger, look at the line of OpenEvse chargers. They are based on "open" firmware and includes command line interface/application protocols for enhanced control of the charger. Could be useful if you ever decide to use a solar source for the EV, or are concerned about maximizing power from different outlets that might be available.

Marktm said:
Parts007 said:

If you are a DIY'er and want a great deal of flexibility with a charger, look at the line of OpenEvse chargers. They are based on "open" firmware and includes command line interface/application protocols for enhanced control of the charger. Could be useful if you ever decide to use a solar source for the EV, or are concerned about maximizing power from different outlets that might be available.

I currently have solar on the house.

Let me add that my commute is short and I don't plan on charging the vehicle every day..

I do have solar on the house so I would want to definitely charge when the sun is bright.. So an openEVSE would allow me to set the times that I charge?

Parts007 said:
Let me add that my commute is short and I don't plan on charging the vehicle every day..

I do have solar on the house so I would want to definitely charge when the sun is bright.. So an openEVSE would allow me to set the times that I charge?

Not very familiar with openevse but I think it allows that.

Also the car's timer will allow that in a crude form.

Any connected EVSE like Juicebox Pro or ChargePoint home will allow that very easily (using web or mobile apps)

Not very familiar with openevse but I think it allows that.

Also the car's timer will allow that in a crude form.

Any connected EVSE like Juicebox Pro or ChargePoint home will allow that very easily (using web or mobile apps)

I am not very familiar with all of this so I think openEVSE is a bit beyond my understanding right now.

Parts007 said:
I am not very familiar with all of this so I think openEVSE is a bit beyond my understanding right now.

Same here. I love to tinker with some hardware but playing with PCBs of 240V equipment is something I would leave up to professionals. After my research and based on my needs, I went with JuiceBox PRO and have been very happy.

Parts007 said:
I do have solar on the house so I would want to definitely charge when the sun is bright.
Is your solar connected to the grid? If so, does your rate plan really favor charging during the day over charging at night? Unless your area is grossly oversubscribed for solar, it is better for the grid to charge late at night, even if you have solar.

Cheers, Wayne

So much of this question revolves around how complicated (and costly) your installation will be. If you have an electrical panel that will support a large high current/amp EVSE and your wiring run to the EVSE location isn't that long, you should probably future proof and shoot for a 40A or 50A capable charger and 50A NEMA plug, but if this isn't your situation, you may be better off with one of the EVSE upgrades that were mentioned, or a unit that allows a lower current.

If you have no existing 220v outlets in your garage then you'll have to run wire regardless. In which case go for at least a L2 (32A) EVSE on a 40A breaker. If you happen to have a 30A dryer outlet available, you may want to go that route and just buy an L2 (24A) EVSE that will run on a 30A outlet. Also keep in mind that if you have to go through the trouble to run an outlet and your panel can support a 50A line, you might as well do it now. This will future proof you in case you get a 200mi range EV in the future and want to have a quicker charging ability.

For the Leaf, a L2 EVSE at 32A is more than sufficient. It will give you about 30-35 mi or range in an hour of charging, will easily charge your car in less than 5 hours overnight (a bit longer for your 30kwh pack). If it were me, I'd just make sure to buy a unit with a long plug (you never know) and also one that has an adjustable AMP setting. In case you want to dial it down (or up) for a second EV in the future.

In my situation I'll go over a few of my regrets in the charger space. (1) I bought one with an 18ft cable, which seemed fine at the time and works well for my Leaf, but when I get my Tesla Model 3, I may need to back the car in for it to reach. (2) I had a 30A dryer outlet available but didn't know I could buy a model that had 24A capability. Otherwise I would have just done that, but I bought a 32A unit and had to run a new line for it. (3) I bought a 2015 S model that has the crappy charge timer. Had I known this inconvenience, I would have got an EVSE with wifi built in.

Back