HOME CHARGING OPTIONS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tkdbrusco said:
So much of this question revolves around how complicated (and costly) your installation will be. If you have an electrical panel that will support a large high current/amp EVSE and your wiring run to the EVSE location isn't that long, you should probably future proof and shoot for a 40A or 50A capable charger and 50A NEMA plug, but if this isn't your situation, you may be better off with one of the EVSE upgrades that were mentioned, or a unit that allows a lower current.

If you have no existing 220v outlets in your garage then you'll have to run wire regardless. In which case go for at least a L2 (32A) EVSE on a 40A breaker. If you happen to have a 30A dryer outlet available, you may want to go that route and just buy an L2 (24A) EVSE that will run on a 30A outlet. Also keep in mind that if you have to go through the trouble to run an outlet and your panel can support a 50A line, you might as well do it now. This will future proof you in case you get a 200mi range EV in the future and want to have a quicker charging ability.

For the Leaf, a L2 EVSE at 32A is more than sufficient. It will give you about 30-35 mi or range in an hour of charging, will easily charge your car in less than 5 hours overnight (a bit longer for your 30kwh pack). If it were me, I'd just make sure to buy a unit with a long plug (you never know) and also one that has an adjustable AMP setting. In case you want to dial it down (or up) for a second EV in the future.

In my situation I'll go over a few of my regrets in the charger space. (1) I bought one with an 18ft cable, which seemed fine at the time and works well for my Leaf, but when I get my Tesla Model 3, I may need to back the car in for it to reach. (2) I had a 30A dryer outlet available but didn't know I could buy a model that had 24A capability. Otherwise I would have just done that, but I bought a 32A unit and had to run a new line for it. (3) I bought a 2015 S model that has the crappy charge timer. Had I known this inconvenience, I would have got an EVSE with wifi built in.

Another wonderful (and useful post) from you. From personal experience I can tell you that a 24 ft cable has helped me a few times when my Leaf was not parked in the designated spot and I could still easily charge it. Now that I have a second EV it will be super handy.

Also the plan for "future proofing" worked well as my Tesla can use the higher Amperage that JuiceBox offers.

Sidebar: Can you chime in on my post http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21806?

inphoenix said:
Parts007 said:
I am not very familiar with all of this so I think openEVSE is a bit beyond my understanding right now.

Same here. I love to tinker with some hardware but playing with PCBs of 240V equipment is something I would leave up to professionals. After my research and based on my needs, I went with JuiceBox PRO and have been very happy.

The thing about OpenEVSE is future flexibility. It will operate easily "out of the box" but is programmable so that if you ever want to "opportunity" charge with variable energy source (like solar), it has the tools to do that. The "kit" is quite easy to assemble, but it's not for everyone as a basic understanding of both electronics and high voltage electricity is definitely recommended. BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with the product - simply very satisfied with the charger.

Marktm said:
inphoenix said:
Parts007 said:
I am not very familiar with all of this so I think openEVSE is a bit beyond my understanding right now.

Same here. I love to tinker with some hardware but playing with PCBs of 240V equipment is something I would leave up to professionals. After my research and based on my needs, I went with JuiceBox PRO and have been very happy.

The thing about OpenEVSE is future flexibility. It will operate easily "out of the box" but is programmable so that if you ever want to "opportunity" charge with variable energy source (like solar), it has the tools to do that. The "kit" is quite easy to assemble, but it's not for everyone as a basic understanding of both electronics and high voltage electricity is definitely recommended. BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with the product - simply very satisfied with the charger.

I have been building OpenEVSE EVSEs for several years. The nice thing about the code is that you can disable any options that you do not like. For me, I just want a basic EVSE with RTC. Some want Lincomatic's Rapi and some even want wifi. It can accommodate everyone. More bells and whistles are fine for some and Lincomatic (Sam) will accommodate any reasonable request. I just disable most of the recent work.

I just wanted to follow up to say that I just bought a 2016 SL! Hopefully will take delivery on Monday..

Thanks for the input. Everyone's answer was very helpful and helped me see different perspectives.

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it.

And remember, the very helpful people on this site can answer just about any question you could have associated to Leaf ownership.

Let us know what you finally decide regarding charging.

DarthPuppy said:
Congrats! Hope you enjoy it.

And remember, the very helpful people on this site can answer just about any question you could have associated to Leaf ownership.

Let us know what you finally decide regarding charging.

I was just discussing my yet to be charger imstallation with my electrician and realized I have a 100 amp breaker in the detached garage.. So I could easily do the larger charger as a few recommended. Until I figure out and save some $$, I will use the dealer and a few local public chargers in my area

Parts007 said:
I was just discussing my yet to be charger imstallation with my electrician and realized I have a 100 amp breaker in the detached garage.. So I could easily do the larger charger as a few recommended. Until I figure out and save some $$, I will use the dealer and a few local public chargers in my area

A spare 100 amp breaker - ganged/dual/240 volt? Quite unusual, but would certainly be useful for a sub-panel that could provide for even the highest rated AC chargers - and some "tools" in the garage. Wish I had such a set up. Trying to figure out how to get a whole home surge protector on my over-crowded main panel in my detached garage - no spares left.

Marktm said:
Parts007 said:

..... - no spares left.
1/2 breakers? I had to resort to that. GE(and maybe others) make it pretty easy but with Square D you have to do with a special breaker that has 2 handles but they are off the same lug in the panel(2 breakers but not 240v but rather 2 separate 120v circuits). You move existing circuits around to free up space and then with the extra room, install a 2 pole(240v) breaker. With GE you can get either 1/2 sized 120v breakers or a full sized breaker that has 2 toggles tied together(240v breaker).

You're good to go. Put in a 220 on a dual 50A breaker and run 6ga wire to a NEMA 50A plug and you are totally future proofed. Then you just need to decide which EVSE you want to get for now. You can keep it simple and do an EVSE upgrade, or buy a unit that allows for adjustable charging rates. Personally I'd go as big as you can for the charger, shooting for a 40A unit. You may not think you need it, but there's been plenty of times at my house (on a 32A unit) that I've been really happy with being able to plug in for an hour and get 35 miles of range out of it. Great in a pinch. If you wind up with 2 EVs in the futures (Tesla + Leaf) the 50A line will be able to support one of the new unites that has two plugs on board.

Back