REFUEL 2013 at Laguna Seca [Update: Nissan will provide qc]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyW

I didn't see a thread specifically for this years event, so I figured why not start one. I'll update this post as the event draws near. The website is: http://www.refuelraces.com (although it needs updating) and the event is scheduled for June 30th 2013.

I think I'm going to rent a truck using my 10 rental days from Connell Nissan and tow dolly from U-haul. Gotta look up hotels this week...

Anyone else thinking of going? Wonder if Nissan can bring the QC again.

Edit:Nissan will be bringing a genset/QC just like last year. Yee ha!

Been trying to convince Nissan to support it again this year...so far without too much success. Last year, they decided to jump in about 10 days before the actual event, so it's fortunate that we got as many LEAFs on the track as we did. I'm afraid that, this year, the registration will fill up quickly for all the Model S folks who will want to participate. So, we may have to walk that razor edge of registering and crossing our fingers since there's not enough charging on site to accommodate everyone (though the Model S folks won't really need it, I think). For LEAFs, having the QC there is critical to doing 3-4 runs. And, Aaron really liked the fact that 7 or 8 cars in the event didn't need to use the grid they set up there.

JeremyW said:
I didn't see a thread specifically for this years event, so I figured why not start one. I'll update this post as the event draws near. The website is: http://www.refuelraces.com (although it needs updating) and the event is scheduled for June 30th 2013.

I think I'm going to rent a truck using my 10 rental days from Connell Nissan and tow dolly from U-haul. Gotta look up hotels this week...

Tentatively set to go. Not sure how fast entries will fill up, but will spectate anyway. This also conflicts with BC2BC 2013, so can't do both.

KeiJidosha said:
JeremyW said:

Tentatively set to go. Not sure how fast entries will fill up, but will spectate anyway. This also conflicts with BC2BC 2013, so can't do both.

I will suggest that somebody reserve a 75-100kVa or bigger genset for the day and then start scouting around for a DC charger rental(s). I do know folks who might have chargers in the Bay Area, but they will be at Pikes Peak, Colorado that day.

I won't be at ReFuel this year, unfortunately, but I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can to get support. Needless to say, there may be some "synergy" (gosh, I always wanted to use that word) with BC2BC-2013, since that event needs the genset in real north California on July 2 through about July 4 and then in central California July 5-6.

I have a conference call with Nissan in a few hours. But, a week rental of a genset is a possibility.

Fingers crossed a charger there would be awesome. I'd love to come along but it's quite an affair to get all the way up there from LA and back again. Might be an interesting road trip..
Does anyone else drive up from LA?

Dave

sfbayleafsmnl
Could we get permission to use the the genset from the Fuel Cell Partnership, and coordinate its transport to and from Laguna Seca? Would that be a worthwhile option?

Are people still interested in going? It's only 6 weeks away and I'm sure we could get a crowd up from the bay area if we knew that there would be a QC there. And I'm sure the race organizers would value the same as it would take a number of cars off their "grid".

gascant said:
Are people still interested in going? It's only 6 weeks away and I'm sure we could get a crowd up from the bay area if we knew that there would be a QC there. And I'm sure the race organizers would value the same as it would take a number of cars off their "grid".

There are folks working on several fronts for a QC.

surfingslovak said:
GeekEV said:
Very tempting...
Just do it! Last year was great fun.
I'm definitely leaning towards it. I've been looking for track days in my Model S, but they're not close enough to charging to give me more than a lap or two and are quite expensive. With this I can hit the Gilroy supercharger and top up at the track. And it's quite reasonable. How much track time do you get? How is the basic driver training session?

KeiJidosha said:
JeremyW said:
I just registered as well. Now to figure out how I'm going to get my car there.... :?
I'm driving mine. You have your 6.6kW charger working yet?
Not yet. Hopefully very soon though! :) I will have to plot out the drive and see if its worth it vs towing. If the quick charger in Thousand Oaks is up and running that may help me significantly.

So, since my auto insurance excludes racing, how have you prior participants handled this? Do you "just take your chances"? Or is their temporary racing insurance to be had (and if so, where)? How about medical and/or life insurance, do they exclude racing as well?

<having second thoughts>

It sounds like fun, but I'd rather not wreck my car or widow my wife with nothing to show for it. :?

GeekEV said:
So, since my auto insurance excludes racing, how have you prior participants handled this? Do you "just take your chances"? Or is their temporary racing insurance to be had (and if so, where)? How about medical and/or life insurance, do they exclude racing as well?

<having second thoughts>

It sounds like fun, but I'd rather not wreck my car or widow my wife with nothing to show for it. :?
You are correct that you will pay the entire bill for anything you break, but this is not a free-for-all. Speed Ventures does a great job making REFUEL safe and fun. Read and follow all the information on the Speed Ventures REFUEL site, study the track map so you know the layout and driving line, and drive within your skill level.

In prior years there were two warm-up sessions. This is point-to-pass so no one is going to pass you unless you point them around (which we will do a lot since we have the slowest cars on the track). Final session is timed with cars spaced at intervals, not wheel to wheel. Driver meetings before and after each session go over the relevant items and review each session. Be sure to stay for the new driver meeting prior to first session and ask questions about anything you don’t understand. If you pay attention and follow the rules, you will have a great time.

Back