REFUEL 2013 at Laguna Seca [Update: Nissan will provide qc]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks KeiJidosha, that makes me feel better. :D

I did read some of their site, but not all of it yet... So it sounds like the odds of a collision are pretty much non-existant?

GeekEV said:
So, since my auto insurance excludes racing, how have you prior participants handled this? Do you "just take your chances"? Or is their temporary racing insurance to be had (and if so, where)? How about medical and/or life insurance, do they exclude racing as well?
This kind of event is not considered "racing," it is in the category of "High Performance Driver Education" (HPDE). However, your car insurance policy probably has a specific exclusion for any event held at a "race track or racing facility," which Laguna Seca definitely is. Some drivers who participate in these events choose to buy special insurance for them. Many don't (including myself). With reasonable care and attention, the chance of car-to-car contact is neglible in HPDE. There is still the chance of pushing too hard and losing control of the car and contacting the wall, or some other fixed object around the track, though. If you do not push too hard on the track and stay within your limits, that won't happen either. I have had no incidents of car damage in 15 years of participating in HPDE events, except for self-induced engine trauma in an ICE car (missed shift bending valves). If you decide you must have coverage for the event, there are companies that will sell you a single-event policy or coverage for a season of driving events. Search on "HPDE insurance" or go to http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/.

As far as personal medical/life insurance exclusions for risky behavior, you will have to check your policies, but HPDE is far less risky than many other sports/pastimes/activities people engage in on a daily basis and I doubt they can refuse to honor your coverage unless there is some specific exclusion written in for HPDE (which I have never seen or heard about as a general practice).

Go, pay attention, be careful, drive within your limits, watch your mirrors and point people by, and you will have lots of fun and no problems.

TT

GeekEV said:
...So it sounds like the odds of a collision are pretty much non-existant?

I have seen cars at that event slide off the track and hit the tire walls resulting in body damage.
Many drivers are pushing their cars to near the limit...

GeekEV said:
Thanks KeiJidosha, that makes me feel better. :D

I did read some of their site, but not all of it yet... So it sounds like the odds of a collision are pretty much non-existant?
I just realized your taking the Tesla not the LEAF. Now I understand your concerns. Tesla S has plenty of speed and power to get into trouble, leaving a much bigger bill to deal with.

Here is cab video of last years best time in a Tesla S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ZET7i0HmI

This is the final session where drivers are separated, so few traffic issues, and usually best time. At 2:10 the driver drops over the corkscrew turn. There were several Tesla S cars there at the track, in varying condition from showroom to thrashed test mules. Several bottomed out at the corkscrew, and I'm not sure which suspension(s) they were running, or if any damage resulted (none that I was aware of). It might be good to scan the Tesla forum for information or advice about the track, or contact drivers from last year.

Yup, I'd have to take the Tesla. :D I don't have the performance model, though it still has plenty of power. I wasn't so much worried about myself (though perhaps I should be) as congestion or accidents on the track. But from the way you guys describe the event, it doesn't sound like much of an issue. I just have to remember not to be an idiot. I'd be going to have fun and to push the car a bit more than I can do on the street, but I don't plan on taking it to the limits. I don't think I'm a skilled enough driver for that yet.

Speed Ventures hasn't confirmed my registration yet, how long does that typically take? Any tips on calming down the wife? She's freaking out... ;)

I figure, if nothing else, maybe I'll come and hang out and have some fun. If I'm feeling chicken I won't actually race. :oops:

Taking surfingslovak's suggestion and posting here.

JeremyW could bring a mobile CHAdeMO with him to Refuel. However, it would be leased and cost a fair amount.

Questions:

1) Would participants be interested in chipping in to cover the cost?
2) Would Nissan be interested in subsidizing this? I have contacted someone in Nissan corporate but assume the Bayleafs have a stronger connection (pun intended).
3) Would Laguna Seca allow connecting to 3 phase 480V power (or 2 phase 240V with lots of Amps)?
4) Would they charge a fee for this?
5) Failing that, would anyone be able to provide a genset?
6) Would spectators and participants be allowed access to the QC?

Obviously, we want to avoid duplication of efforts and results. Any PMs should be sent to JeremyW.

GeekEV said:
Yup, I'd have to take the Tesla. :D I don't have the performance model, though it still has plenty of power. I wasn't so much worried about myself (though perhaps I should be) as congestion or accidents on the track. But from the way you guys describe the event, it doesn't sound like much of an issue. I just have to remember not to be an idiot. I'd be going to have fun and to push the car a bit more than I can do on the street, but I don't plan on taking it to the limits. I don't think I'm a skilled enough driver for that yet.

Speed Ventures hasn't confirmed my registration yet, how long does that typically take? Any tips on calming down the wife? She's freaking out... ;)

I figure, if nothing else, maybe I'll come and hang out and have some fun. If I'm feeling chicken I won't actually race. :oops:

Tbleakne mentioned a So Cal Model S owner who got in a fender bender with his brand new Tesla because he was used to single-pedal driving with strong regen until he had to stop short and couldn't get his foot over to the brake pedal in time. Not sure how much front end damage he sustained, but tbleakne reported that the Tesla spent 5 months in the shop. You might know about this story from the Tesla forums, but not sure if this guy posts there.

So be careful!

Boomer23 said:
Tbleakne mentioned a So Cal Model S owner who got in a fender bender with his brand new Tesla because he was used to single-pedal driving with strong regen until he had to stop short and couldn't get his foot over to the brake pedal in time. Not sure how much front end damage he sustained, but tbleakne reported that the Tesla spent 5 months in the shop. You might know about this story from the Tesla forums, but not sure if this guy posts there.

So be careful!
That's one of those things that, until it happens to you, sounds like it's easy to chalk up to the driver being an idiot (no offense, whoever you are). It's clearly driver error and you should ALWAYS be ready to hit the brake at a moments notice. Sounds like he/she was going to fast for their skill level, etc...

Hopefully the wait time for repair parts is less now, the Model S was *brand* new last year at this time!

I've heard that Tesla will in fact have a supercharger (or superchargers) there.

Unfortunatly I have decided that since the Leaf is my only means of transportation that it is too risky to tow up and bring to the races. My job is pretty critical and I need reliable transportation. Next year... :)

I will still be there, I'm just going to rent a prius or some such and enjoy from the sidelines. I will bring a helmet though, just in case I get an offer for a shotgun seat!

JeremyW said:
I've heard that Tesla will in fact have a supercharger (or superchargers) there.

Unfortunatly I have decided that since the Leaf is my only means of transportation that it is too risky to tow up and bring to the races. My job is pretty critical and I need reliable transportation. Next year... :)

I will still be there, I'm just going to rent a prius or some such and enjoy from the sidelines. I will bring a helmet though, just in case I get an offer for a shotgun seat!
You can always shotgun with me! Do you have a second helmet available? :D

FWIW, I've confirmed with Speed Ventures that Tesla WILL be providing one of their portable SuperCharges for REFUEL 2013. Sweet! Between that, the Nissan QC and the 21 NEMA 14-50 outlets we should be well covered!

Sorry, last minute, in case we could attend...
All the driving slots are filled?
Pre-registration required if just viewing? $10/person entrance fee? Any best time to arrive by? Particpants have priority, but good chance of being able to fast charge?
Pre-registration required if participating in parade? Time need to arrive by for this? Above fees cover?
TIA !

Drove to Salinas yesterday for REFUEL tomorrow. Honda Fit did great. 110° in Atascadero while charging for two hours. MINI E would limit charge to 3.3kW above 105°, so happy to maintain schedule.

Fiat has autocross course set up for 500e test drives. It handles well and feels tight. Driver seat is comfortable and supportive. As they may already be sold out, it might be my (your) only chance to drive one. I used to be a driving instructor and spent my fair share of time clutching the right seat in suspense. Took my ride along partner right to that mental place sliding into the third corner :)

Tesla has installed two double superchargers at the track. NEMA 14-50's are also available along with two Tesla roadster ClipperCreek EVSEs. Looking forward to another fun day tomorrow :)

By the way, we verified with Fiat on that Christian Science Monitor article that said the car was sold out. We are hosting a ride and drive next week in San Diego and wanted to know more about that...Maybe no sense in hosting an event if the cars are unavailable.

A Fiat rep told one of my colleagues that the quote was taken out of context and they are not sold out in California....So bring on the 500e....

Bummin around Laguna SECA right now. Tesla sure doesn't f*ck around! There's quite a bit of 14-50s and of course Nissan's QC is on the way. Very pumped for tomorrow. It's quite warm here, luckly it seems like the charging area is going to be shaded.

I rented a 500 oil burner to get up here, the electric version is easily an order of magnitude better. I could see myself owning one if I had ether a gasser backup (ha!) or PHEV for longer trips. If it had CHAdeMO quick charging I would seriously consider it. It handles well, just could use some more regen!

Since I didn't opt for a QC port when I ordered my LEAF more than 3 years ago, I can't easily get there from Sacramento. Instead, I'll be driving my Prius and will be watching from the stands.

Wandering around Monterey tonight, I've already seen 4 Model S. Tomorrow should be great fun (even as an observer).

Mark W.

Back