Nissan LEAF Update from Andy Palmer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evchels said:
The LAB has had periodic input into the development of the battery replacement program and has been generally pleased with the direction it's taken after some aggressive feedback that echoed everything that's been said here. We're impatient to see it and the hot wx battery launched, and several folks in TN (and probably Japan!) would say I've been something of a broken record about it. Can't give specific timing, but will say that we won't be enduring another summer without either of them.
Keep pushing them on the hot weather battery. I would hope that is their number one priority right now.

TomT said:
I'll go on record now as saying you will never see such a thing for 2011 and 2012 vehicles... I'd like to be proven wrong but I strongly doubt such will be the case.

fotajoye said:
Hopefully, they will offer a longer-range battery for the older cars as part of their plan; it makes sense they would because of the cars they have returning off lease and now a growing utility storage market for used Leaf batteries.
yea, he need to get out more.

evchels said:
TomT said:
The last public word of any kind that I am aware of was the meeting I attended in Phoenix in August of 2013... I don't even know if the Leaf Advisory group has had any real input since then...

KJD said:
Oh the good old days of 2012. Yes those were the days......

The LAB has had periodic input into the development of the battery replacement program and has been generally pleased with the direction it's taken after some aggressive feedback that echoed everything that's been said here. We're impatient to see it and the hot wx battery launched, and several folks in TN (and probably Japan!) would say I've been something of a broken record about it. Can't give specific timing, but will say that we won't be enduring another summer without either of them.

I hope Nissan's press release will include details of "the voucher for a future hot battery replacement" to be given to owners who have had their battery replaced under the capacity warranty before the hot battery was available.

tcherniaev said:
thankyouOB said:
i keep seeing this headline and thinking: NEWS!!!

I would imagine they will wait to announce anything until the very last possible moment. Anything else would be out of character for them.

no doubt. keep in mind, Tesla can announce a product YEARS in advance because its half the price of what they are currently offering so obviously it will have little if any effect on S sales.

Nissan cannot do that. People would stop buying 2014's if they knew they could wait 6 months and get 25 more miles of range for the same price as today's LEAF or pay four thousand more and get 70 more miles

DaveinOlyWA said:
People would stop buying 2014's if they knew they could wait 6 months and get 25 more miles of range for the same price as today's LEAF or pay four thousand more and get 70 more miles
Dave, are your numbers the result of something you learned from being a member of the Leaf Advisory Board or were you simply making up numbers to illustrate your point?

leafkabob said:
Dave, are your numbers the result of something you learned from being a member of the Leaf Advisory Board or were you simply making up numbers to illustrate your point?
Do you really think he would break his NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)???

DaveinOlyWA said:
no doubt. keep in mind, Tesla can announce a product YEARS in advance because its half the price of what they are currently offering so obviously it will have little if any effect on S sales.

Nissan cannot do that. People would stop buying 2014's if they knew they could wait 6 months and get 25 more miles of range for the same price as today's LEAF or pay four thousand more and get 70 more miles

If they would just make one reasonable statement about backwards compatibility of batteries, this would be a complete non-issue.
The way you describe it, it almost feels as if people need to be duped into buying a Leaf now....
Given the overall slow progress of battery development in combination with the still rather conservative approach in this industry, maybe they just dont have anything ready in the near future?

Stoaty said:
leafkabob said:
Do you really think he would break his NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)???
Certainly not, unless he was allowed to. ;)

leafkabob said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
People would stop buying 2014's if they knew they could wait 6 months and get 25 more miles of range for the same price as today's LEAF or pay four thousand more and get 70 more miles

put in any numbers you want or would you rather I say "Range A" and "Range B?"

i will say one thing as part of the LAB; the only thing I have learned is that EVERYTHING is subject to change. You would not believe what they told us they were going to do only to have it changed dramatically, cancelled or completely revamped. but that is the car business and when talking about leading tech like EVs, its even more so. I was working at intel when they were introducing processor speed bumps every 3-4 months. those plans and timetables were just as volatile.

this latest announcement is not necessarily contrary to what we were told was going to happen, but is most certainly different so its like "business as usual"

DaveinOlyWA said:
[People would stop buying 2014's if they knew they could wait 6 months and get 25 more miles of range for the same price as today's LEAF or pay four thousand more and get 70 more miles

Agreed. If/when Leaf V2 is coming, we'll no doubt see something similar to an Apple iPhone rollout. Current model inventory begins to shrink, "clearing the pipeline". Announcement of prices and specs is carefully orchestrated in conjunction, to minimize that type of abandonment.

DaveinOlyWA said:
tcherniaev said:
thankyouOB said:
i keep seeing this headline and thinking: NEWS!!!

I would imagine they will wait to announce anything until the very last possible moment. Anything else would be out of character for them.

This is good news. Any update on the hot battery roll out timeline and the "voucher for a hot battery replacement" for individuals that had their battery replaced due to capacity loss before the hot battery was available ?

DaveinOlyWA said:

For the issue of current sales dropping in favor of future improved product, Nissan can announce a price increase for future product and also announce a price schedule where the price drops over time.

Hawk0630 said:
This is Jeff from Nissan.
Today I'm bringing you a note from Andy Palmer, Executive Vice President, Nissan Motor Company. In this letter, Andy addresses issues that you – LEAF owners and members of the mynissanleaf.com community – have brought to us through the forum, discussions and our dealers.
Hey Nissan where is that hot weather battery you guys were talking about this time last year ?

DanCar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

For the issue of current sales dropping in favor of future improved product, Nissan can announce a price increase for future product and also announce a price schedule where the price drops over time.

I see you are not in sales

DanCar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I see you are not in sales
Have your vision checked. Intel and other companies have done this successfully.

didn't know they were into cars. guess I have to be glad I don't work there any more. And can't say I remember them announcing price cuts to anything until it was... not news any more.

but will say one thing; as a car salesman, the one thing, the MAIN thing that was drilled into my head during meetings, trainings, etc. was NEVER give the customer a chance to "think about it"

your scenario practically begs the customer to wait.

Back