LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey all...have a happy and safe Independence Day!

25k and still all 12 bars showing.

parking the leaf for 10 days when i head to summer camp. i can almost make it in the leaf since there's a chevy dealer in clinton, mo with an evse but i'm thinking it would still be 10-15 miles out of range. i want to try it sometime just to see if it could make it but not right now.

see you guys in the middle of july.

tom

I am finally back stateside and by tomorrow night, I'll finally be reunited with my LEAF. I'm so geeked to not have a fuel bill any more, which in Germany was typically around $8/gallon equivalent. :shock:

So if you see an additional red LEAF running around the Northland with the driver in perpetual EV grin :D mode, that might be me.

Now to protect myself and the LEAF from that KC heat... :eek:

Karl

MobileEV said:
I am finally back stateside and by tomorrow night, I'll finally be reunited with my LEAF. I'm so geeked to not have a fuel bill any more, which in Germany was typically around $8/gallon equivalent. :shock:

So if you see an additional red LEAF running around the Northland with the driver in perpetual EV grin :D mode, that might be me.

Now to protect myself and the LEAF from that KC heat... :eek:

Karl
Hey, Karl, welcome back to town! :D You might cross my path first! I think I mentioned before, I live just south of Vivion Rd. & Chouteau Trfwy, if you get down that way. That's me with the big "Zero Emission with the blue "e" badge" on the sides and the plate, G'BYGAS. There's another (plain) red one I've seen around that intersection and near Festival Foods further south on Chouteau, but haven't been acknowledged. They must not "enjoy the EV grin" like I do. :| We're shy around here?? If you see me, be sure to wave. I'll stop and chat/compare rides (like there's a HUGE difference!). I'm always on the lookout for LEAFs and will probably spot you, too.

Kathy

ksnogas2112 said:
hey all...have a happy and safe Independence Day!

25k and still all 12 bars showing.

parking the leaf for 10 days when i head to summer camp. i can almost make it in the leaf since there's a chevy dealer in clinton, mo with an evse but i'm thinking it would still be 10-15 miles out of range. i want to try it sometime just to see if it could make it but not right now.

see you guys in the middle of july.

tom

Only 25K on a 2 year old leaf...Com'on now I got that 25k+ on mine an its only 1 year and 3 months old...you need to drive more :lol: . You could have made it to clinton....if you were willing to charge to 80 in Lee Summit and drive 50mph the entire way or 100 and drive 55mph-60mph I'd be willing to guess. Had no problem with that Christmas Marathon last year doing that. Oh and btw no I'm not doing that again this year once was enough for the lady and I. Sure shows what you can do with the leaf if your determined enough tho. Would like to do a trip to Kansas City in it again sometime though.

MobileEV said:
eclecticflower said:
Gosh, Karl, I wouldn't have had you go to any extra expense for jack stands. I do have one from an Altima I carry in my car (should've been there in the first place, but didn't come with the car) plus I have a set of fairly new ramps that can be used if you need them. I read at one of the links you provided previously there were 2 filters, one being slightly better. Which one did you get?
I ordered the TYC 800138P, similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabin-Air-Filter-TYC-800138P-fits-09-14-Nissan-Cube-1-8L-L4-/181404382249?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan%7CModel%3ALeaf&hash=item2a3c8b3429&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To me, as long as the filter fits properly to avoid blow-by, the mesh isn't that critical. Just like a dryer lint filter, once a layer of dust forms on the filter, that first layer is what filters additional incoming particles.

Regarding the jack stands, there's a difference between the vehicle jack or even a floor jack and the jack stands. Here is an example of jack stands: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-jack-stands-61196.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you have the vehicle raised with a jack (a good resource here: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Jacking_up_a_LEAF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), you should never rely on that to hold the vehicle up, particularly if you are working under it (which in this case we are not). If you are just taking one wheel off, the jack will do, but when you rotate, you are removing multiple tires.

I won't go into the philosophy of just rotating front to back versus a front or rear cross (there are separate threads here for that; here's one: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but assuming we are doing a front cross pattern (patterns shown here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), you need to raise all four wheels off the ground to do the tire swap without multiple raising and lowering of the vehicle.

Another option for a front cross pattern would be to do 3 lifts, each with 2 wheels off the ground:
1) Lift left side: swap front to back
2) Lift right side: swap front to back
3) Left front: swap side to side

As you can see, you'll be double-handling some of the tires, but in the absence of 4 jack stands, that could be a shade tree method of accomplishing the task.

If you can live without the side to side swap, then two lifts will do and there is no double handling.

Anyway, since yours is done, I'll gather my own experience on the tire rotation (mine is due) and we can focus on the cabin filter when we get together. Plus we can read your LEAFs OBD info with LEAF Spy.

-Karl

Hey, I have an idea for a September Kansas City Leaf meeting -- you all come by and use my 4 jack stands, 1 hydraulic floor jack, and air impact wrench, and we can have a tire rotation party!!!

In all seriousness, since I am partial to my Leaf friends, the offer stands and not just in September. I like a little dirt under my nails to remind me of simpler days.....

We should indeed consider another meeting I think. We have a couple new people that have posted, alas one person missing from last year. I am happy to host again....

I've been out of the country myself, visiting family in Germany and visiting Prague for the first time. Definitely recommended.

Cabin filter change party anyone? Karl was going to source a bulk purchase (I'm in) and try changing his from inside the glove box, then offer his expertise (probably fairly soon). Tom may have already changed his, since his car has nearly double the miles as mine. Fenton Nissan gave me a free tire rotation recently, at around 15,000 miles. Yes, a gathering would be a great opportunity to meet new owners and see old friends/LEAFers, too.
Kathy

I would be up for a tech-oriented meeting in September. Keep in mind that the National Drive Electric Week is Sept. 15-21, so lots of stuff going on then. https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; MAEAA is the main contact, but I haven't seen any specifics on activities yet.

eclecticflower said:
Cabin filter change party anyone? Karl was going to source a bulk purchase (I'm in) and try changing his from inside the glove box, then offer his expertise (probably fairly soon).
Perhaps "bulk" is a bit strong. :) I ordered and received 3. I was holding one for Kathy, so I have one spare. Others interested can get them from the same eBay seller here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271445767040?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I offered $8 each including shipping for qty 3 ($24 total) and the seller accepted.

FWIW, I had my first full day of LEAF driving today with lots of errands, and I'm loving it. :mrgreen: I stopped for several public charges at the Price Chopper EVSE on NE Barry Rd in KCMO (yes, I dropped some significant coin in the store and voiced my appreciation of the EVSE to the customer service desk) where I saw two other red LEAFs independently at the dual EVSE. Price Chopper now painted the EVSE parking spots fairly boldly, and they were not ICEd during my several visits there.

-Karl

MobileEV said:
I stopped for several public charges at the Price Chopper EVSE on NE Barry Rd in KCMO (yes, I dropped some significant coin in the store and voiced my appreciation of the EVSE to the customer service desk) where I saw two other red LEAFs independently at the dual EVSE. Price Chopper now painted the EVSE parking spots fairly boldly, and they were not ICEd during my several visits there.

-Karl

This is interesting. I was not aware of that charge location, about 8 miles from me. With a slight change in my commute, I could drop by that Price Chopper. We are talking about the PC that close the corner of Barry and North Oak, right?

I wonder why PC chose that location.... I would have expected them to do this at one of the more swanky new locations. hmmmm....

Good to know, thanks, Karl. I don't get up to that corner of Barry very often, but I pass by on 152 occasionally, coming over from Tiffany Springs/I-29 to Liberty shopping. I appreciate knowing there's free charging (at least for now) just down Oak from the highway (thanks, Price Chopper!).

Kathy

cdherman said:
Hey, I have an idea for a September Kansas City Leaf meeting -- you all come by and use my 4 jack stands, 1 hydraulic floor jack, and air impact wrench, and we can have a tire rotation party!!!

In all seriousness, since I am partial to my Leaf friends, the offer stands and not just in September. I like a little dirt under my nails to remind me of simpler days.....

We should indeed consider another meeting I think. We have a couple new people that have posted, alas one person missing from last year. I am happy to host again....
Herman,

I was thinking of making a set of the wooden jack blocks shown here:

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Jacking_up_a_LEAF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this something you can do? We haven't received our sea container from Germany so I don't have all my tools yet.

Karl

cdherman said:
MobileEV said:
I stopped for several public charges at the Price Chopper EVSE on NE Barry Rd in KCMO (yes, I dropped some significant coin in the store and voiced my appreciation of the EVSE to the customer service desk) where I saw two other red LEAFs independently at the dual EVSE. Price Chopper now painted the EVSE parking spots fairly boldly, and they were not ICEd during my several visits there.

-Karl

This is interesting. I was not aware of that charge location, about 8 miles from me. With a slight change in my commute, I could drop by that Price Chopper. We are talking about the PC that close the corner of Barry and North Oak, right?

I wonder why PC chose that location.... I would have expected them to do this at one of the more swanky new locations. hmmmm....

I spoke with some of the customer service people in Price Chopper and also the people over at the new fitness place signup a while back. It's my understanding that the property developer put in the charging station to qualify for some tax abatements. Price Chopper put in the charging station and the fitness place put in a bike rack / air filling station. I've asked a few times and wrote a letter to Price Chopper requesting signs be put in. I haven't been over there in a while, but I understand that signs are now up, I think Karl (same one ?) posted an update to PlugShare :)

ericvoll said:
cdherman said:
MobileEV said:

-Karl

I spoke with some of the customer service people in Price Chopper and also the people over at the new fitness place signup a while back. It's my understanding that the property developer put in the charging station to qualify for some tax abatements. Price Chopper put in the charging station and the fitness place put in a bike rack / air filling station. I've asked a few times and wrote a letter to Price Chopper requesting signs be put in. I haven't been over there in a while, but I understand that signs are now up, I think Karl (same one ?) posted an update to PlugShare :)

I can't remember if I created that one or just updated it with the location comment next to the fire hydrant. I used it when I was up north at a Scout function.

The three EVSE's are operational here at the office (89th and Renner). I also just saw 8 new EVSE's on the Sprint campus listed on the chargepoint map.

ericvoll said:
I think Karl (same one ?) posted an update to PlugShare :)
Guilty as charged (bad English and all...did it from my phone and didn't self grammar check). I also added the new photo with the 2 marked spaces filled with 2 charging LEAFs to illustrate the new spaces. So far I haven't seen them ICEd with the big lettering.

The PC is a bit further north than I would normally go, but I'll go out of my way to patronize businesses with EVSEs.

Today I get my 240V line installed with NEMA 14-30 for the Clipper Creek Unit, so I'll be adding my location in 64119 on PlugShare when it's done. So when y'all come up this way and I'm not working, stop in for a coffee and a charge. With a heads-up I could even leave the J1772 dangling under the garage door when I'm not there. Only thing is that we're not close to shops, etc. 2 miles to the closest WalMart, and the route is a bit hilly.

Karl

MobileEV said:
cdherman said:

Herman,

I was thinking of making a set of the wooden jack blocks shown here:

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Jacking_up_a_LEAF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this something you can do? We haven't received our sea container from Germany so I don't have all my tools yet.

Karl

Yes, a block like that would be easy to create. The circular indention on the bottom is designed to keep the bock from tipping off the floor jack -- that would be the hardest part to get perfect, and since floor jack heads come in varying sizes, it would be best to customize it. I am ready have a slightly better idea though -- I will make the bock from multiple layers of thinner (1/2") Baltic birch plywood that I have laying around. Stuff is amazing, since the laminates are so thin and uniform. That will allow the cutout for the jack head to be formed with a jig saw, and then glued to the main body..... Should be a 30 min job.

I admit that I have not rotated my tires in 20k miles..... Might be a project for this afternoon.

Update on tire rotation and wood blocks to allow lifting for tire change/rotation....

Well, the elaborate block created by Karl's link seemed far too much work on a lazy Saturday afternoon. And after I looked things over, the Kansas farm boy engineer (that is only partially a joke -- you learn a lot of basic engineering growing up on a farm), decided that a 5" chunk of 2x4 with a groove cut in it would do the trick. And it did....

But what I think I also surmised is that the lift points for the Leaf are re-inforced. And lifting ANYWHERE else on the rail under the doors could spell disaster, as in something bending. Especially if one were to try and lift the whole side, ie 50% of the total vehicle weight. It might work, if one were to devise a much longer block that would spread the weight over a greater distance, say 18" or so. But I was in a lazy/safe mood...

A basic block for the floor jack and my formerly Nissan Altima scissor jack for the other end and up went two tires....

The additional observation in rotating my tires at 20k -- the front tires were more worn than I expected. and the rear are wearing more on the inside side, ie not evenly. I do not think the Leaf has an option for rear alignment......

Anyone going to the MAEAA meeting this weekend? It's August 10 from 1-3pm at the Johnson County Main Library 9875 W87th St Overland Park, KS.

Also, any one of you drive a white LEAF around the Northland? I saw one driving on Antioch Road about 2 weeks ago.

Karl

MobileEV said:
Also, any one of you drive a white LEAF around the Northland? I saw one driving on Antioch Road about 2 weeks ago.

Karl

Might have been me. I went down Antioch a while back. But there is another white leaf up here as well that some friends of ours have. Mine would have custom plates "PLUGZ N"......

I told Al I wasn't going to be able to be at the meeting tomorrow. It's the same time as the annual Scout troop planning meeting for calendar 2015. And campout next meeting. It seems like I'm always at Scout activities during the meetings.

Tom

***REPORT***

Saw a white LEAF getting a speeding :eek: ticket last weekend (I believe Sunday), going southbound on I29, pulled over just south of 64th Street (I saw a woman driver - was that cdherman's wife?). It's 65 MPH through there...we have a speed demon amongst us! :lol:

Back