LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flash...capacity loss happens...

Whoo, I'm first!

Lost the first capacity bar this morning. 26 months, 27,000 miles. That's actually right on time with Stoaty's degradation predictions. More details if/when I have time to submit.

Time for a campout. We're off to ride the Katy Trail from New Franklin to Rocheport and no, I'm not taking the Leaf.

Tom

I've been bumping into lots of LEAFers up north lately. A couple weeks ago, I bumped into Dave at the DMV, yesterday I met Karl at Great Clips, and today I chatted with Kathy while we both charged at the Gladstone Price Chopper on Barry Road.

On a different note, I was in Maui about a month ago, and they have loads of LEAF's there. I probably saw one every 5 minutes or so just driving around. Strangely, there weren't any level 2 chargers to be found, but there were loads of level 3 (FAST DC) chargers all over the place.

IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0340.jpg

ksnogas2112 said:

Whoo, I'm first!

Lost the first capacity bar this morning. 26 months, 27,000 miles. That's actually right on time with Stoaty's degradation predictions. More details if/when I have time to submit.

Time for a campout. We're off to ride the Katy Trail from New Franklin to Rocheport and no, I'm not taking the Leaf.

Tom

I'm at about 22,000 miles. I've had two annual battery reports done (as required by the warranty) and both times received five stars in all categories. Tom, I'm curious, what did your battery reports show?

ericvoll said:
I've been bumping into lots of LEAFers up north lately. A couple weeks ago, I bumped into Dave at the DMV, yesterday I met Karl at Great Clips, and today I chatted with Kathy while we both charged at the Gladstone Price Chopper on Barry Road.
Good to meet you Eric, and I'm glad there are more plug-in cars around. We have two EVSEs at work and with my arrival and another Volt, we are now having to coordinate charging.

Hope to meet more of you at the National Drive Electric events.

When do we meet to do LEAF Spy readings and change cabin filters?

eclecticflower said:
***REPORT***

Saw a white LEAF getting a speeding :eek: ticket last weekend (I believe Sunday), going southbound on I29, pulled over just south of 64th Street (I saw a woman driver - was that cdherman's wife?). It's 65 MPH through there...we have a speed demon amongst us! :lol:
Nope was not my wife. We tend to keep in under 65 generally. My approach is 65 in a 65, 62 in a 55, 52 in a 45, 47 in 40, etc....

I used to be a real left lane driver, always trying for max.

I recently used the Prius for an extended day of trips and snagged myself a ticket with the Prius. Was not paying attention -- deserved the ticket.

I will say, after discussing with my insurance agent, I found out they have essentially zero tolerance. One violation, stays on my record for 3 years and will result in an extra $200 per billing period, $400 per year for 3 years. So I am going to have a lawyer get the ticket "modified". Its a real scam -- the lawyer "asks" the Judge to modify the ticket and Kansas City "agrees" to the modification, if you agree to double the fines. That costs with all the fees and doubled fines something like $450....

I *could* try to do a different insurance, but since I have two young drivers on the account and *they* have not yet banged up anything and the insurance has been very competitive, I decided to stay.....

ericvoll said:
ksnogas2112 said:

Whoo, I'm first!

Tom

I'm at about 22,000 miles. I've had two annual battery reports done (as required by the warranty) and both times received five stars in all categories. Tom, I'm curious, what did your battery reports show?

5 stars, those reports are worthless

MobileEV said:
ksnogas2112 said:
5 stars, those reports are worthless

Agreed. You learn more with LEAF Spy. I'll be happy to read anyone's LEAF OBD port with LEAF Spy if and when we meet.

Karl

I'm looking forward to meeting, Karl. Are you signed up to be present at any of the National Drive Electric events? I'm signed up for Saturday, 9/13 (https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I'd be interested in seeing how my battery is holding up...and a cabin filter change! Fall is coming, great time for a meet!

Kathy

eclecticflower said:
I'm looking forward to meeting, Karl. Are you signed up to be present at any of the National Drive Electric events? I'm signed up for Saturday, 9/13 (https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I'd be interested in seeing how my battery is holding up...and a cabin filter change! Fall is coming, great time for a meet!

Kathy
Yes, I will be there at Union Station. I can bring the filters, but I don't know if we will have a chance to swap them that day. OBD dongle and my phone with LEAF Spy will be with me, which is capable of screen dumps that can be emailed.

Karl

MobileEV said:
eclecticflower said:

Kathy
Yes, I will be there at Union Station. I can bring the filters, but I don't know if we will have a chance to swap them that day. OBD dongle and my phone with LEAF Spy will be with me, which is capable of screen dumps that can be emailed.

Karl

What time does the event run from? I will try and come. I have to work that day, but I work at TMC which is just up the hill. I should check the link I suspect. I really would like to LeafSpy my Leaf as well. 22k miles, about 28 months since manufacture date. I think it sat 100% charged at the dealer for several hot months in 2012.... But I have all 12 bars for now....

Karl, are you perhaps interested in a "Quick240" unit? I built two of them back in 2013 and certainly used no more than one at a time. I would let you have one for a long term promise of Leafspy service!!!!

cdherman said:
What time does the event run from?
Noon - 5 PM at Union Station.
cdherman said:
Karl, are you perhaps interested in a "Quick240" unit? I built two of them back in 2013 and certainly used no more than one at a time. I would let you have one for a long term promise of Leafspy service!!!!
I have both a Clipper Creek unit at home, an EVSEUpgrade.com upgraded Nissan charger with 14-30 plug, and the basic Nissan charger, but I guess one can never have too many EVSEs. :)

But I'll extend LEAF Spy readings to anyone who asks and happens to be at the same time and place as my LEAF and I. I keep the dongle in the glovebox and it talks to my phone. It's quick and easy. I'll do screen dumps and email them to you. You will need to learn how to read them from the Wiki:

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll about halfway down to see the screens and their interpretations.

Karl

Today I spoke with an IKEA rep and found out there will not be an EV charger at the Merriam store, despite having chargers in many other IKEA stores and the state's largest solar array.

I encourage everyone to contact IKEA management about this oversight as soon as possible while they are still in opening PR mode.

Speedydelivery said:
Today I spoke with an IKEA rep and found out there will not be an EV charger at the Merriam store, despite having chargers in many other IKEA stores and the state's largest solar array.

I encourage everyone to contact IKEA management about this oversight as soon as possible while they are still in opening PR mode.
I posted on their https://www.facebook.com/IKEAUSA page and got the same answer. Bummer.

MobileEV said:
Speedydelivery said:

I posted on their https://www.facebook.com/IKEAUSA page and got the same answer. Bummer.

Excellent, now I have an excuse NOT to visit there. I learned to loathe the IKEA stores while I was in Budapest. All it took was one trip. The wife loves it there and now I can snobbishly refuse on EV grounds and don't have to go. Whoo hoo!

cdherman said:
What time does the event run from? I will try and come. I have to work that day, but I work at TMC which is just up the hill. I should check the link I suspect. I really would like to LeafSpy my Leaf as well. 22k miles, about 28 months since manufacture date. I think it sat 100% charged at the dealer for several hot months in 2012.... But I have all 12 bars for now....

You'll want to register your car at that link. I received an email regarding the ability to do one of 2 shifts or stay all day, plus there are instructions forthcoming about gaining entry. Hope to see you there.

For those of you who have lived through a KC winter with your LEAF, is it worth getting winter tires for daily commuting when the snow hits? My street has a significant hill up to my driveway and I'm wondering if I'll be backsliding and/or parking my car at the bottom of the hill.

Tire Rack seems to have some decent packages with wheels and tires.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Karl

MobileEV said:
For those of you who have lived through a KC winter with your LEAF, is it worth getting winter tires for daily commuting when the snow hits? My street has a significant hill up to my driveway and I'm wondering if I'll be backsliding and/or parking my car at the bottom of the hill.

Karl

Your winter driving needs in KC can be HIGHLY variable. Some years, a bicycle would be fine. Last year, I was picking up colleagues with my back up (Ford Expedition 4x4) with regularity. Their subdivisions were not adequately plowed. You live on the MO side. Missouri is south of the Mason-Dixon line. Its policy makers and management think its a "southern state". That means a lot of snow management is best described as "wait till spring -- it will melt".... Kansas has a different view, interestingly.....

Your need for a winter driving solution also depends on your need to go to work. I am a physician, if that is not already known. And I work in a hospital that functions 24x7x365. So I need to go to work. But if you can call in late on snow days, or skip them altogether, then you have a lesser need.

But winter driving in a Leaf has a bunch of other challenges too. Under 10 degrees (yes, that happens here) and your range starts to plummet. Heat (actually not an issue, if you have heated seats and steering) and defroster (this is the issue!), can be over come with driving gloves and ear muffs. But the battery just dies when its really cold.... Muffs and gloves and you then have to crack the windows and, basta, your windows are clear. But the battery just craps out when its zero F. Of course a really short commute and/or charging station at work will mitigate those issues.

My honest appraisal: If you have a mission critical job, find a back-up vehicle that is at least an ICE, and either 4x4 or fitted with winter tires. If you can call in once in a while and no one will make a big deal, then your Leaf might be fine. In fact, even with the stock tires. Snow lasts only hours here, before they finally push it to the side on the freeways. But if you live in a part of town (realizing that you may not yet know this) where the streets are bad for days, you have other considerations... The long hill you describe would worry me. Seems we will be making a personal acquaintance next Saturday. You might want to have me, perhaps Kathy too, take our cars to your hill and tell you how our years of Missouri experience make us feel about that hill in winter. Ask your neighbors too -- if they roll their eye about people getting stuck on the street, then you have a problem....

As for that driveway.... Invest in snow-melt and a shovel!!!!

cdherman said:
MobileEV said:

Karl

Your winter driving needs in KC can be HIGHLY variable. Some years, a bicycle would be fine. Last year, I was picking up colleagues with my back up (Ford Expedition 4x4) with regularity. Their subdivisions were not adequately plowed. You live on the MO side. Missouri is south of the Mason-Dixon line. Its policy makers and management think its a "southern state". That means a lot of snow management is best described as "wait till spring -- it will melt".... Kansas has a different view, interestingly.....

Your need for a winter driving solution also depends on your need to go to work. I am a physician, if that is not already known. And I work in a hospital that functions 24x7x365. So I need to go to work. But if you can call in late on snow days, or skip them altogether, then you have a lesser need.

But winter driving in a Leaf has a bunch of other challenges too. Under 10 degrees (yes, that happens here) and your range starts to plummet. Heat (actually not an issue, if you have heated seats and steering) and defroster (this is the issue!), can be over come with driving gloves and ear muffs. But the battery just dies when its really cold.... Muffs and gloves and you then have to crack the windows and, basta, your windows are clear. But the battery just craps out when its zero F. Of course a really short commute and/or charging station at work will mitigate those issues.

My honest appraisal: If you have a mission critical job, find a back-up vehicle that is at least an ICE, and either 4x4 or fitted with winter tires. If you can call in once in a while and no one will make a big deal, then your Leaf might be fine. In fact, even with the stock tires. Snow lasts only hours here, before they finally push it to the side on the freeways. But if you live in a part of town (realizing that you may not yet know this) where the streets are bad for days, you have other considerations... The long hill you describe would worry me. Seems we will be making a personal acquaintance next Saturday. You might want to have me, perhaps Kathy too, take our cars to your hill and tell you how our years of Missouri experience make us feel about that hill in winter. Ask your neighbors too -- if they roll their eye about people getting stuck on the street, then you have a problem....

As for that driveway.... Invest in snow-melt and a shovel!!!!

Well, that's one way to look at it! Myself, I work at the hospital, too. Have not had a need for snow tires and have always gotten by with all season radials, no problem. These being front wheel drive cars, I think they handle pretty good in the snow. The one storm we had last year that dumped 14" was just not drivable regardless of tires...too deep, too much snow, too fast. Stay home under those conditions. I have a general idea about where you live and can stop by after the Saturday NDE event, if need be. You'll be driving mostly I435, which is pretty well-maintained. The hill may do you in regardless of tires, depending on how bad. Will have to see it. Two years in LEAF, no snow tires, I'm good. Don't be scared about the battery, it takes a hit from the heater so you'll learn to preheat and conserve, but it won't actually be dead! :). See you next weekend!

Thanks for the advice on tires and snow. I work at a production facility, so while I can do some telecommuting, unless it's severe weather, I need to be going to work. I wasn't worried about the battery. I have a 12 mile commute one way and can charge at work (and home, of course). But I was worried about traction. Yes, the commute can be mostly I-435 although right now I go back roads (Brighton mostly) to keep my miles/KWH up.

So I guess I'll hold off on the tire purchase and see how it does.

Thanks again and see you Saturday at the NDEW event.

Karl

MobileEV said:
Thanks for the advice on tires and snow. I work at a production facility, so while I can do some telecommuting, unless it's severe weather, I need to be going to work. I wasn't worried about the battery. I have a 12 mile commute one way and can charge at work (and home, of course). But I was worried about traction. Yes, the commute can be mostly I-435 although right now I go back roads (Brighton mostly) to keep my miles/KWH up.

So I guess I'll hold off on the tire purchase and see how it does.

Thanks again and see you Saturday at the NDEW event.

Karl

Karl, one thing I've found is the tire wear on the Ecopia (ecrappia) tires is such that last year's snow was more of a struggle than the year before and I'm actually somewhat terrified about this winter since I'm almost to the cord. So here I am freely admitting I need new tires just need to try to squeeze until next summer when I can afford them. Fortunately the office moved a mile from the house so I might just be walking in the bad weather.

Tom

Back