Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Let us know when you figure which unit is the best. At $10 I dont care at $70 I want to get the right one!

This will mean closer to realtime data right? like the clarion screen?

Cool! I will try this with my MX unit on the way down to San Jose on Monday and let you know how it works.

How are you detecting that it is the ST chipset? For reference I think ATZ on my MX unit reports ELM327 v1.3a and STI reports STN1151 v4.0.2

kevinleaf said:
Cool! I will try this with my MX unit on the way down to San Jose on Monday and let you know how it works.

How are you detecting that it is the ST chipset? For reference I think ATZ on my MX unit reports ELM327 v1.3a and STI reports STN1151 v4.0.2
Don't know if I will have it ready for testing in time for you to install before you come by tomorrow.

Still debugging the Brake monitor code.

Turbo3 said:
kevinleaf said:

Don't know if I will have it ready for testing in time for you to install before you come by tomorrow.

Still debugging the Brake monitor code.
Turbo3,
I have an MX unit so I look forward to testing your new version. I have never been able to use the brake/motor screens without lockup of my Kyocera Event and the cheap ELM units I bought when the MX would not work. I want to say thank you again for developing and continuing to improve Leaf Spy.

Gerry

Finally bought Leaf Spy Pro....but when I go to the screen (screen 5) where it shows brake power and other stuff, the program kills my ELM327 BT adapter looking like it's asking for '167 00' in the 'connected' status bar at the bottom right....I can go back to other screens, but they never update.....eventually I get an ioException popup and the program is essentially dead...I can swap screens, but nothing udpates, even if I close and re-open the program. I have to either turn off the car (and let the ELM go unpowered), or unplug/replug the ELM.....

What now?

not 100% sure about YOUR issue but I also get this io exception now and then and its not your elm or your car or your tablet but your bluetooth stack.

turning bluetooth off and then back on fixes it for me (happens once or twice a week have not tracked down the specific set of actions that cause it.)

assuming your problem is similar to mine of course.

pthack said:
Finally bought Leaf Spy Pro....but when I go to the screen (screen 5) where it shows brake power and other stuff, the program kills my ELM327 BT adapter looking like it's asking for '167 00' in the 'connected' status bar at the bottom right....I can go back to other screens, but they never update.....eventually I get an ioException popup and the program is essentially dead...I can swap screens, but nothing udpates, even if I close and re-open the program. I have to either turn off the car (and let the ELM go unpowered), or unplug/replug the ELM.....

What now?
When you enabled the braking/motor power screen you should have gotten a message that this is an experimental feature and might lock up the app. So if it does you should disable that screen.

Try again when I release the next version of Leaf Spy Pro. The next version will also support a more advanced version of the OBDII adapter that is based on the ST chip set. The testing I am doing with an ST based OBDII adapter has shown good performance on the braking/motor power screen (i.e. no hangs).

Turbo3 said:
pthack said:

What now?
When you enabled the braking/motor power screen you should have gotten a message that this is an experimental feature and might lock up the app. So if it does you should disable that screen.

Try again when I release the next version of Leaf Spy Pro. The next version will also support a more advanced version of the OBDII adapter that is based on the ST chip set. The testing I am doing with an ST based OBDII adapter has shown good performance on the braking/motor power screen (i.e. no hangs).

I never 'enabled' any new screens, just booted it up, let it pair to the elm327 (why it needs to re-pair everytime, when leafspylite just 'works', is beyond me...), and started to look at screens.....

Still don't know why the power monitoring screen doesn tell you what units it uses.....says it shows motor power and regen, but I never see anything for regen (and don't know where it would report it anyway), and doesn't use unit that seem to make sense (we THINK of using power in KWh...as in, when I hit floor the pedal, the motor can use up to 90kw of power....), but I have only seen the numerical value of 2000 on the gauge? haven't found any help pages that explain any of this....

Leaf Spy Lite just seems to work....Pro seems to add complexity where it wasn't needed (or is it just me?)....not sure what do do with all the BT options...'enable/disable BT when starting'/'automatically pair'/etc...when leaf spy lite just worked.....maybe there's a manual I haven't read yet....

and what's with all the IoExceptions.....doesn't seem to be reliable...is there a log file I need to send someone? It's an android app, why doesn't it give me the option to send the error file back to the developer when it traps itself (since it seem to keep running anyway...)...

and what is a 'connected 167 00' status anyway, and why can't it recover itself?

Still haven't found the place to disable this extra screen that supposedly I can disable?

Can someone tell me where I find the manual for this on my phone?

pthack said:
Turbo3 said:
pthack said:

What now?

I never 'enabled' any new screens, just booted it up, let it pair to the elm327 (why it needs to re-pair everytime, when leafspylite just 'works', is beyond me...), and started to look at screens.....

Still don't know why the power monitoring screen doesn tell you what units it uses.....says it shows motor power and regen, but I never see anything for regen (and don't know where it would report it anyway), and doesn't use unit that seem to make sense (we THINK of using power in KWh...as in, when I hit floor the pedal, the motor can use up to 90kw of power....), but I have only seen the numerical value of 2000 on the gauge? haven't found any help pages that explain any of this....

Leaf Spy Lite just seems to work....Pro seems to add complexity where it wasn't needed (or is it just me?)....not sure what do do with all the BT options...'enable/disable BT when starting'/'automatically pair'/etc...when leaf spy lite just worked.....maybe there's a manual I haven't read yet....

and what's with all the IoExceptions.....doesn't seem to be reliable...is there a log file I need to send someone? It's an android app, why doesn't it give me the option to send the error file back to the developer when it traps itself (since it seem to keep running anyway...)...

and what is a 'connected 167 00' status anyway, and why can't it recover itself?

Still haven't found the place to disable this extra screen that supposedly I can disable?

Can someone tell me where I find the manual for this on my phone?
First, what version of Leaf Spy Pro are you running? From what you have talked about you seem to be running an old version.

Here is a screenshot of the bottom of the Settings menu where you should go to un-check the "Enable Brake & Motor Screens" since it does not seem to work on your phone. If you don't have this check box then you have an old version of the app and should update to latest version.
skl97s.png

If you are running the latest version of the app the screen should have looked like this one which has a y-axis in kWs. Regen would be when line goes below zero.
lTTnrl.png

Hi

I'm a new user of Leaf Spy Pro (I bought it last night). I can get it to work on my Nexus 7, but not on my Nexus 5 (it "crashes" as soon as it starts up and I choose the Bluetooth ODBII device). I can get the Torque app + ODBII to work on my Nexus 5 without a problem, but neither Leaf Spy Lite or Leaf Spy Pro work. I've tried rebooting phone, re-pairing ODBII device, turning bluetooth on/off, but nothing works. I've sent in a report via the Android error reporting feature.

I wonder if the problem is related to the Android L (5.0) developer preview that I've installed on my Nexus 5. Most programs work correctly, but I've found a couple that don't. Has anyone else tried Leaf Spy with Android L?

CheesyM said:
Hi

I'm a new user of Leaf Spy Pro (I bought it last night). I can get it to work on my Nexus 7, but not on my Nexus 5 (it "crashes" as soon as it starts up and I choose the Bluetooth ODBII device). I can get the Torque app + ODBII to work on my Nexus 5 without a problem, but neither Leaf Spy Lite or Leaf Spy Pro work. I've tried rebooting phone, re-pairing ODBII device, turning bluetooth on/off, but nothing works. I've sent in a report via the Android error reporting feature.

I wonder if the problem is related to the Android L (5.0) developer preview that I've installed on my Nexus 5. Most programs work correctly, but I've found a couple that don't. Has anyone else tried Leaf Spy with Android L?
Here is the trace data I was sent but it is very short and does not go back far enough to indicate which line of Leaf Spy Pro code was being executed.

The traces are usually much longer. Can you send another couple of traces to see if they provide any more information?

Code:
ava.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.Object java.lang.ref.WeakReference.get()' on a null object reference
at anywheresoftware.b4a.Msgbox$DialogResponse.onClick(Msgbox.java:118)
at com.android.internal.app.AlertController$AlertParams$3.onItemClick(AlertController.java:1050)
at android.widget.AdapterView.performItemClick(AdapterView.java:303)
at android.widget.AbsListView.performItemClick(AbsListView.java:1140)
at android.widget.AbsListView$PerformClick.run(AbsListView.java:3022)
at android.widget.AbsListView$3.run(AbsListView.java:3804)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:738)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:135)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5070)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:372)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:836)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:631)

I tried a couple more times (and sent the reports through), but the stack trace looks the same.

I noticed it crashes as soon as I select any bluetooth device from the dialog (even devices that I'm not connected to / in range of). Similarly, if I press back to close the "Choose device" dialog, it goes into the application, but then when I use "Select ODBII" from the menu, I get the same behaviour (crashes as soon as I select a device).

Let me know if there is any other way I can help.

CheesyM said:
I tried a couple more times (and sent the reports through), but the stack trace looks the same.

I noticed it crashes as soon as I select any bluetooth device from the dialog (even devices that I'm not connected to / in range of). Similarly, if I press back to close the "Choose device" dialog, it goes into the application, but then when I use "Select ODBII" from the menu, I get the same behaviour (crashes as soon as I select a device).

Let me know if there is any other way I can help.
Yes, they look the same. Can you post a screenshot just before you select and it crashes?

Is there an error screen after it crashes with any other information then program has stopped?

You can also try turning on "Trace ELM" at bottom of Settings menu. Then exit and restart app and recreate the crash. Send me the TRC_yymmddhhmm.txt file in the debug folder.

After selecting the Bluetooth device you should have gotten a screen like this to let you enter the Pairing Code.
Xeyi3M.png

It looks like this beforehand:
Pre-Select.png

and after the crash:
Post-Select.png

To be honest, I doubt it even gets as far as communicating with the ELM327, since it crashes immediately, regardless of which device I choose from the list. But I will try the trace later. On my Nexus 7, I got the pairing code as you show (and I've logged data successfully on a journey).

Correct, the failure is before talking to the ELM. It is when the app tries to display the Pairing Code entry screen. Something is returning a null string that causes java to crash. If I knew what line of code I could just put a Catch/Try around it and handle the error myself.

I might need to get my hands on a Nexus 5 to track this one down.

Are you in the testers group for Leaf Spy? I could try putting a Catch/Try around the Pairing Code section of code. That would just cause it to be skipped if it got this failure.

Turbo3 said:
Are you in the testers group for Leaf Spy? I could try putting a Catch/Try around the Pairing Code section of code. That would just cause it to be skipped if it got this failure.

No, I'm not - but happy to help if I can (I'm fairly technical).

CheesyM said:
Turbo3 said:

No, I'm not - but happy to help if I can (I'm fairly technical).
Send me the email address you used to purchase Leaf Spy to [email protected] and I will add you to the testers group.

In the next test version I will add Try/Catches around all the calls in the Pairing dialog and log which one is causing the problem.

I think the key here is the version of Android. He is using L which I believe is slated to be named Lollipop and 5.0
There might be some big bluetooth difference in there.

kevinleaf said:
I think the key here is the version of Android. He is using L which I believe is slated to be named Lollipop and 5.0
There might be some big bluetooth difference in there.
Actually the problem has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

It seems to be caused by calling one popup after another.

The current released version has two popups one for the OBDII selection and a second to enter the pairing code. Here it fails when you try to bring up the paring code popup.

For the latest test version there are three popups one for the Bluetooth/WiFi/Emulate/Offline selection, a second based on the first (Paired BT list if you select BT) and if you select Bluetooth a third for the pairing code. Here it fails on the second popup.

The failure is always a null pointer. So this has nothing to do with Bluetooth.

So far all failures happen on the Nexus 5 running Lollipop. If you go back to KitKat on the Nexus 5 it works OK (as reported by one of my testers).

A fix might require limiting any selection to just one Popup which will take some time to implement.

Are there enough Nexus 5 users to justify me buying a Nexus 5 for testing? Will this problem be fixed in Lollipop before it is released? I don't see an easy fix for this as it is an interaction with a not yet officially released OS that I would be trying to work around.

I have a few other items to implement before I would have time to jump into a rewrite of the Adapter selection code. So a fix will not be in the next test release or general release (unless some bright idea pops into my head).

Back