Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Are there enough Nexus 5 users to justify me buying a Nexus 5 for testing? Will this problem be fixed in Lollipop before it is released? I don't see an easy fix for this as it is an interaction with a not yet officially released OS that I would be trying to work around.
The newly-announced Nexus 6 & 9 are going to run Lollipop.
The Nexus 5 and Nexus 4 (and 7 and 10) are all going to receive Lollipop updates.
All of the new Android One devices are going to have Lollipop, but they're only being sold in India so far.
And finally, Motorola's various phones (X, G, and E) should get lollipop soon as well.

The least expensive option appears to be the Moto E at $129 brand new. I see one on ebay for $99.

In checking the Basic4Android site for solutions to this problem I discovered that although I had downloaded the latest version of the B4A package with Lollipop support back in July I never ran the executable to install it.

If we are lucky when I recompile using this latest version the problem might go away.

I will see if I can push out a version 0.33.46 of Leaf Spy Pro for testing later today compiled with the latest B4A version.

garsh said:
Turbo3 said:
Are there enough Nexus 5 users to justify me buying a Nexus 5 for testing? Will this problem be fixed in Lollipop before it is released? I don't see an easy fix for this as it is an interaction with a not yet officially released OS that I would be trying to work around.
The newly-announced Nexus 6 & 9 are going to run Lollipop.
The Nexus 5 and Nexus 4 (and 7 and 10) are all going to receive Lollipop updates.
All of the new Android One devices are going to have Lollipop, but they're only being sold in India so far.
And finally, Motorola's various phones (X, G, and E) should get lollipop soon as well.

The least expensive option appears to be the Moto E at $129 brand new. I see one on ebay for $99.
I have a Nexus 7 but it is still at 4.4.4 KitKat.

Is there an easy way to force an update to a test version of Lollipop?

In that case, can you please add me to the testers group?

My Nexus 5 just downloaded the 5.0 update today & is waiting for me to install it. I want to try it out, but I'd hate to go without Leaf Spy Pro working.

garsh said:
In that case, can you please add me to the testers group?

My Nexus 5 just downloaded the 5.0 update today & is waiting for me to install it. I want to try it out, but I'd hate to go without Leaf Spy Pro working.
Just need you to send my the email address you used to purchase Leaf Spy Pro and I will add you to the testers group (send to [email protected]).

Turbo3 said:
I have a Nexus 7 but it is still at 4.4.4 KitKat.
Is there an easy way to force an update to a test version of Lollipop?
Not that I know of. But I would expect the updates to start rolling out in November.

Turbo3 said:
I will see if I can push out a version 0.33.46 of Leaf Spy Pro for testing later today compiled with the latest B4A version.
Excellent! I'll go ahead & upgrade to Lollipop and give this a try as soon as it's pushed.

I had a slow leak last weekend and using Leaf Spy Pro, told the service guy it was my passenger side front. After he looked for the problem, removing tire and checking it all around he told me he couldn't find the leak and replaced the tire. Then he came back in a told me it was my passenger rear tire and proceeded to remove a screw and patch the tire.

It never dawned on me that the sensors move around when tires are rotated. Is there any way to teach Leaf Spy Pro which tires are where?

philipscoggins said:
It never dawned on me that the sensors move around when tires are rotated. Is there any way to teach Leaf Spy Pro which tires are where?
Yes.
It has the Nissan no tools required approach.
You set the four tires to the specified pressures, put it into the tire registration mode, and then drive it half mile to one mile to get it to register the tire locations.
It works but is tedious and does require driving short distance with some of the tires underinflated.

I did a lot of looking for cheap tools to do it.
Lowest I found was $100 to $150.
More than most want to spend, but might be worth it if you were mounting snow tires every winter.
I'll stick with LEAF Spy approach.

philipscoggins said:
...Sure would be nice if the Nissan dealership did this when they rotated my tires...
Especially if they have the expensive Nissan tool to do it easily :shock:
But seems like that is near $2,000.
So they may not have it.

It is really too bad Nissan doesn't use a better cheap to register system.
The Honeywell tire pressure monitoring rear view mirror I put on my 1994 Taurus SHO can be quickly and easily registered with a magnet that came with the less than $100 retrofit kit.
Nissan could do a lot better.

Latest test versions of Leaf Spy (0.32.34) and Leaf Spy Pro (0.33.46) have just been uploaded to the PlayStore and should be available within 90 minutes for install and testing by people in the test group.

- Compiled using latest version of B4A that supports Lollipop (Android 5.0)
- Supports STNxxxx chipset based OBDII Adapters
- Warns if OBDII adapter does not support necessary commands and lists unsupported AT command.
- Don't write to log file when Leaf is OFF and not charging. This could happen on 2013 and newer Leafs.
- Initial support for Japanese. Report back any translation errors or suggested improvements.
- See built-in change log for additions changes

For any Japanese users who would like to help verify/correct my translations I have a Word document that lists the English words/phrases/sentences used in the app and the Japanese I am using as a replacement. One line per word/phrase/sentence. Format is as used in the app: Symbol name = "Japanese" ' "English" (example usage for short words)

I am sure there are lots of places for improvements and places where I got it totally wrong but the work of grouping all the text together and using variables is done so changing the tables and adding additional languages is very straight forward. Just need good translations

I would like to hear back right away from Lollipop (Android 5.0) users if this version fixes the app crash problem.

ED0oJz.png
hZJjHM.png

Turbo3 said:
I would like to hear back right away from Lollipop (Android 5.0) users if this version fixes the app crash problem.
I was able to start it up without having it crash. Yay!

I'll try it again later today when I'm actually in the car & confirm that it still works.

Hi

I just tried the new test version (0.33.46) and it now works without crashing on my Nexus 5 + Android 5.0 Lollipop. I tried powering up the car and it read the information correctly. I didn't try going for a drive/logging, but it's all looking good so far. The issue "it doesn't exit the application when pressing back and selecting Yes" is also fixed.

Thanks for the quick fix!

Thanks for the quick reports on Lollipop. That is great news.

Looks like I broke part of the enable GPS logic. So I will need to release another version later today when I decide on the correct logic.

Was trying to disable GPS when the Leaf is not moving. Right now if you use the disable GPS when not on external power (the phone) it will just always disable GPS.

Also I want to force one more entry into the log file when the Leaf power switch is turned off. Right now it stops logging when the Leaf is powered off so you never see the off transition in the logs.

I am having trouble seeing the usefulness of the "GPS only if on ext pwr" feature. In this case external power means the android device is powered from a charger plugged into the Leaf's 12 volt power outlet. But the that is almost the same as when the app detects the Power Switch being ON which is already used to control GPS activation.

Some people use the app for long term logging and so add an external battery pack to keep the android device running longer. In this case the "GPS only if on ext pwr" feature is of no use as it would keep GPS on all the time.

The current logic enables GPS only if the "Enable GPS" check box is checked and the app is communicating with a Leaf and the Power Switch is read to be ON. So anytime the Leaf is off or not in range GPS is turned off saving power. This includes during charging since the Leaf is normally off.

Since it does take some time for GPS to lock on to your position a more useful feature would be to keep GPS active whenever the app is trying to or connected to a Leaf. If you find that leaving GPS on under these conditions does not unduly drain your android battery then you can check this option.

So the "GPS only if on ext pwr" option would change to "Always keep GPS active".

I will switch the next test version to this logic and wait for comments.

Just uploaded Leaf Spy v0.32.35 and Leaf Spy Pro v0.33.47 to PlayStore. It includes two changes.

Replaced "GPS only if on ext pwr" option in logging with "Always keep GPS active".

Logging has been changed so it extends a short time after the Leaf has been turned off so the transition state of the Power Switch can be logged. Should make it easier to see trip boundaries in the log data.

I had a request to replace the RPM field on screen 4 with battery amps.

What I decided to do was make it switchable with three choices.

1. GPS data speed/elevation
2. Battery voltage/amps/watts
3. Motor RPM

Here is a simulated choice 2. You tap the field to switch between them.
4KSV92.png

Do you think you could put the "does not support the AT command" message in the settings, or persist the message until hit 'OK'? It disappears too quickly and is near impossible to read. I did manage to catch a screenshot of it.

I'm pretty surprised that it doesn't support "ATZ". I've also notice it report it doesn't support "ATE1" at times. My ELM327 clone (this one at Amazon) seems to work pretty well for Leaf Spy, with the minor annoyance that if I turn on and goto the motor/brake screen, then Leaf Spy will stop reading everything else on the ELM327 until I disconnect and reconnect it.

Screenshot_2014-11-06-19-39-14.png

Back