Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlv said:
Do you think you could put the "does not support the AT command" message in the settings, or persist the message until hit 'OK'? It disappears too quickly and is near impossible to read. I did manage to catch a screenshot of it.

I'm pretty surprised that it doesn't support "ATZ". I've also notice it report it doesn't support "ATE1" at times. My ELM327 clone (this one at Amazon) seems to work pretty well for Leaf Spy, with the minor annoyance that if I turn on and goto the motor/brake screen, then Leaf Spy will stop reading everything else on the ELM327 until I disconnect and reconnect it.
I will need to adjust the logic on that as it should really just ignore rejection of those standard commands. That is probably happening because the app and ELM are out of sync because of your use of the braking function.

Because if the lockup problems it caused, I just don't have the brake & motor screens enabled anymore. I get the "ATZ" or "ATE1" not supported almost every time I turn on the car.

jlv said:
Because if the lockup problems it caused, I just don't have the brake & motor screens enabled anymore. I get the "ATZ" or "ATE1" not supported almost every time I turn on the car.
An ELM trace would pinpoint the problem. But ATZ and ATE1 are not unsupported. The fact that the message goes away so fast tells me the retry worked. If the command was really unsupported the message would stay active for 10-15 seconds and fail every retry.

The next release fixes giving this false unsupported message but it would still be helpful to see the ELM trace to see why the ELM is initially rejecting the command or the app thinks it is.

New and hopefully the last test versions of Leaf Spy have just been uploaded.

0.28.18 Leaf Spy Lite
0.32.37 Leaf Spy
0.33.49 Leaf Spy Pro

Includes a fix to always load the "State" file which holds the OBDII selection. This fixes a problem if you upgraded from an old version that did not use the "State" file to a new one that did use it but never went to the settings menu and made a change.

For Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro added displaying the HV Battery voltage/current/power on screen 4. It is one of three options for the field that displayed the RPM/GPS data. Just tap to cycle through choices.

The Cell Loss calculation now reports "All Cells OK" if no weak cells are found. For cells that fail the test they are now listed as "weak" instead of "Bad" which is a more accurate description of their condition.

The unsupported AT command test only reports if the special AT commands need for the Leaf are not supported. If a standard AT command fails it is just retried without giving the unsupported message.

Released all new versions of Leaf Spy (previously only available to testers)

0.29.19 Leaf Spy Lite
0.33.38 Leaf Spy
0.34.51 Leaf Spy Pro

Next up for testing will be a version of Pro with a Motor Power graph function that does not have the hang problem seen on some devices. Sample rate will be slowing but it will not have any issues.

Real time calculation of energy efficiency (distance/Kwh) based on odometer reading changes and Wh used counter. It will be based on total energy used not just the motor. Perhaps with several time intervals (last 10 seconds, minute, current trip). Most likely location will be as another option for the user selectable information field on screen 4 that currently can display HV Battery V/A/Pwr, RPM or GPS speed/elevation.

Would you entertain designing a custom screen for the program to the users specifications for a price?

would also love a WIDGET. something low key 1x1 transparent with a simply number display user selectable to show say range (based on our selection of m/kw or kw remaining etc.. something like that)

nerys said:
would also love a WIDGET. something low key 1x1 transparent with a simple number display user selectable to show say range (based on our selection of m/kWh or kWh remaining etc.. something like that)
Pretty good idea.
It is kWh as shown corrected and as was explained at length in another thread.

nerys said:
Would you entertain designing a custom screen for the program to the users specifications for a price?

would also love a WIDGET. something low key 1x1 transparent with a simply number display user selectable to show say range (based on our selection of m/kw or kw remaining etc.. something like that)
I would need to know more details about the custom screen. Is it something others might be interested in having?

If you don't want to put the details here you can email them to me using address on the About screen.

Hey Turbo3, any chance of making this change to the braking screen:
garsh said:
I've been playing with the braking screen lately. I'm finding that this isn't quite useful information to me. What I'd really like to see is a measure of braking power rather than force. Right now, if you're going really slow and you hit the brake, you see a lot of red. But in terms of power, it's hardly worth mentioning because of the slow speeds.

Does the CAN bus also provide speed? If we could display the graph as (force X speed), then we have something that shows power.

WDYT?

Basically i want to design a graphically prettier screen. My tablet covers the crap aystem in the car so it "is" the centerpiece of the car and as it stands (please dont take this wrong) it is pretty ugly :)

I want to design a graphically pretty screen to fit in with the car better especially if this stn atuff allowa better responce time.

Also what data CAN you get over the can bus? Can you intercept temp fan and volume settings? Auch that when i touch those buttons in the car you can have that info pop up momentarily like it does on the stock system.

Just how much can you passivly read over the network?

Maybe i can help? Are the components images i can do in photoshop or are they vector gizmos?

No idea how much others might be interested. I would think many would but i likely think that because i want it :)

No problem discussing publicly

garsh said:
Hey Turbo3, any chance of making this change to the braking screen:
garsh said:
I've been playing with the braking screen lately. I'm finding that this isn't quite useful information to me. What I'd really like to see is a measure of braking power rather than force. Right now, if you're going really slow and you hit the brake, you see a lot of red. But in terms of power, it's hardly worth mentioning because of the slow speeds.

Does the CAN bus also provide speed? If we could display the graph as (force X speed), then we have something that shows power.

WDYT?
Sounds like you should be looking at the Motor Power screen which displays the regen power. Just tap the brake screen to switch to it. The more negative the power the more regen.

As I said above I will be coming out with a more reliable motor power screen in a future release.

nerys said:
Basically i want to design a graphically prettier screen. My tablet covers the crap aystem in the car so it "is" the centerpiece of the car and as it stands (please dont take this wrong) it is pretty ugly :)

I want to design a graphically pretty screen to fit in with the car better especially if this stn atuff allowa better responce time.

Also what data CAN you get over the can bus? Can you intercept temp fan and volume settings? Auch that when i touch those buttons in the car you can have that info pop up momentarily like it does on the stock system.

Just how much can you passivly read over the network?

Maybe i can help? Are the components images i can do in photoshop or are they vector gizmos?

No idea how much others might be interested. I would think many would but i likely think that because i want it :)

No problem discussing publicly
There are basic elements like the pull-down, check box, buttons and text that can be placed at relative locations. There are also line drawing functions.

If you want to sketch something up I could see how much work it would be.

There are two ways to get data from the Leaf. Either passively or actively. Leaf Spy uses active for almost everything. The brake and motor screens are passive but the basic ELM is not good in that mode (normally too much data, STN chipset is better at filtering so can better limit the messages monitored).

You can only be in one mode at a time. So if you want to listen for something you can't do anything else which is very limiting. Also switching into and out of passive can be tricky depending on what you are monitoring due to the high data rate. Even the STN chipset has trouble if you try to look at too many high speed messages. The solution would be to off load the filtering to the CAN adapter. But I know and have only one of these. You can have it not only filter but also limit the amount of filtered data. So instead of getting every message you can get every 10th message to slow down the rate. The highest speed messages come 100 per second so it does not take monitoring very many to overload the available bandwidth.

Active has its issues as the more things you actively look for the longer the cycle time to look at everything.

The Torque app uses the active method to collect data.

I am always looking for better ways to present the data so let me see what you come up with. Screen 4 originally came from a layout designed by FalconFour.

Turbo3 said:
Sounds like you should be looking at the Motor Power screen which displays the regen power. Just tap the brake screen to switch to it. The more negative the power the more regen.
It's missing two things that the braking screen provides:
  • A recent history
  • The hydraulic braking power (well, it provides force, but I'd like to see power)

Since I updated to 0.34.51, Leaf Spy Pro is dying ("stopped responding") immediately upon connecting to the ELM. I just enabled debug and "trace elm"; I'll try to collect that data.

jlv said:
Since I updated to 0.34.51, Leaf Spy Pro is dying ("stopped responding") immediately upon connecting to the ELM. I just enabled debug and "trace elm"; I'll try to collect that data.
Very odd... Once I started it with debug, it no longer crashed. It's now working fine.

I am adding in a Trip meter to the next version. It will save a csv file with one entry per trip (as defined by power button off->on->off and Leaf moving after transition to ON. Screen 4 now has a timer on the top line showing duration of trip and the selectable info area can show distance driven and energy efficiency.

Trip Log file has date, time, duration, odometer, distance, energy used, starting/ending Gids, SOH, AHr, and Hx.

Looking for suggestions for anything else that should be in the trip log file.

It is important that after you turn off the Leaf you wait for the "Saved" message to appear to the right of the duration timer to insure Leaf Spy has detect the power switch is off and saved the data. Should just take a few seconds.

PhqnHJ.png

Turbo3 said:
I am adding in a Trip meter to the next version. It will save a csv file with one entry per trip (as defined by power button off->on->off and Leaf moving after transition to ON. Screen 4 now has a timer on the top line showing duration of trip and the selectable info area can show distance driven and energy efficiency.
For this to work will LEAF Spy Pro have to be running before you power the LEAF to Ready?
I currently usually start the app after the LEAF is in Ready.
But I like the trip file approach and will switch to starting the app first if that is required.

TimLee said:
Turbo3 said:
For this to work will LEAF Spy Pro have to be running before you power the LEAF to Ready?
I currently usually start the app after the LEAF is in Ready.
But I like the trip file approach and will switch to starting the app first if that is required.
I just took a closer look at how I coded it and a start of trip is detected by motor movement alone. Leaf Spy does not look for the OFF to ON transition only that the Leaf has started to move.

So you don't have to have Leaf Spy running before you start the Leaf. You can even start the app after the Leaf is moving. But in that case you will miss the true start of the trip.

However, the ON to OFF transition must be detected which is why I included the message "Saved" to let you know Leaf Spy has detected the end and saved the data.

Can someone with a Samsung S5 confirm that Leaf Spy Pro 0.34.51 works OK on it?

Note the S5 has no separate Settings key and you must hold down the Recent Apps key for that function.

There is a reviewer giving a 1 because they say it does not work on the Samsung S5.

If it does fail what exactly happens.

Back