Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jhm614 said:
Is the Kyocera Event still the recommended low cost, non-contract device to run Leaf Spy Pro?

I believe so, I got mine for $30 at BestBuy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/virgin-...2325&skuId=7209064&st=kyocera event&cp=1&lp=1

I also got Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII ; $8:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAOOQJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and RioRand OBD-II OBD2 ; $8:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZN0JKG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then some stickable cable tie downs I got from Menards(3/8"); $4: of which I can't find in their catalogue to list but they work much better than the ones recommended at Amazon(which don't stick well). I gave it a bad review and the seller had it removed.

These are all working great together! No complications or difficulties. And I was able to follow the guide to move the wire from Pin 16 to Pin 8 so that the ODBII scanner would power off along with the accessories when the car is off to avoid draining the accessory battery.
http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Leaf_Battery_Application ; $15;

Good Luck!

Edited to note correction. Thanks to garygid for catching backward numbers.

I am seeking some advice from the more technical posters here. Like I suspect many early lessees who are not overly disappointed I am looking to purchase a replacement while the generous rebates are in effect. Being in the Midwest I do not have the luxury of several dealers carrying dozens of Leafs in stock but there are some larger dealers who have a few within a reasonable drive in the gas car (I will have to have it transported regardless of where I buy). What I am looking for is the best combination of metrics from the Leaf Spy app to make sure I choose one with a healthy battery. I know that with cars on the lot that have not been charged and driven repeatedly this is somewhat of an art rather than a science but I want to give it to the best shot I can. My initial feeling is to look at a combination of the Hx reading and the difference between SOC and GID percentage. It may be a wrong assumption but to me the latter measure would be a good indication of loss of capacity. Any more knowledgeable insight gratefully received.

EvansvilleLeaf said:
I am seeking some advice from the more technical posters here. Like I suspect many early lessees who are not overly disappointed I am looking to purchase a replacement while the generous rebates are in effect. Being in the Midwest I do not have the luxury of several dealers carrying dozens of Leafs in stock but there are some larger dealers who have a few within a reasonable drive in the gas car (I will have to have it transported regardless of where I buy). What I am looking for is the best combination of metrics from the Leaf Spy app to make sure I choose one with a healthy battery. I know that with cars on the lot that have not been charged and driven repeatedly this is somewhat of an art rather than a science but I want to give it to the best shot I can. My initial feeling is to look at a combination of the Hx reading and the difference between SOC and GID percentage. It may be a wrong assumption but to me the latter measure would be a good indication of loss of capacity. Any more knowledgeable insight gratefully received.
Hx and SOH%. Or Hx and AHr (same thing, different scalar - AHr is proportional to SOH).

azguy said:
LeafSpyPro numbers from my 2015 S leaf after charging battery 100% , notice SOC is only 96% .
LEAF Spy Pro SOC is from the lithium battery controller.
Only goes to 95% to 96% at the 4.12 mV highest cell voltage that Nissan allows.
A cell could be charged to 4.2 or 4.3 which would be 100%, but for battery longevity LEAF does not charge that high.
See more detail previously from GregH at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789&hilit=battery+app&start=450#p358888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Turbo3 said:
I have been offline for a while as I finally purchased a MacBook Pro several weeks ago to learn iOS. This new release of Leaf Spy Pro is actually being done on the MacBook Pro since I have it setup to dual boot Windows 7 which is fully supported by Apple. My plan for the iOS version is to use a much more powerful OBDII adapter (which I have a few for testing) that will remove all the restrictions of the ELM327. The ELM327 is a toy compared to this adapter. But of course it is more expensive. I am trying to get some type of bulk order to get the price down to a more reasonable level. This adapter has a real sleep mode down in the low ma or even ua range. I have gotten to the point where I have modified Apple's EADemo program and made it display data (Gids in raw frame format) from our Leaf to my wife's iTouch. I can send commands to the OBDII adapter and have it filter any message frame(s) and display the frame data. The Leaf Spy icon is already translated to Apple's format for all their devices. But I have taken a break from that to get this long delayed Android version update out.

So how is the iOS version coming along?

Don T

bowthom said:
Turbo3 said:
I have been offline for a while as I finally purchased a MacBook Pro several weeks ago to learn iOS. This new release of Leaf Spy Pro is actually being done on the MacBook Pro since I have it setup to dual boot Windows 7 which is fully supported by Apple. My plan for the iOS version is to use a much more powerful OBDII adapter (which I have a few for testing) that will remove all the restrictions of the ELM327. The ELM327 is a toy compared to this adapter. But of course it is more expensive. I am trying to get some type of bulk order to get the price down to a more reasonable level. This adapter has a real sleep mode down in the low ma or even ua range. I have gotten to the point where I have modified Apple's EADemo program and made it display data (Gids in raw frame format) from our Leaf to my wife's iTouch. I can send commands to the OBDII adapter and have it filter any message frame(s) and display the frame data. The Leaf Spy icon is already translated to Apple's format for all their devices. But I have taken a break from that to get this long delayed Android version update out.

Don T

I bought a $30 android phone (no contract) and just got the mini ELM327 bluetooth. They paired up and all is working well so I purchased Leaf Spy Pro and it too works great. Thanks you guys, a very handy device which also works on all the other cars too once I downloaded the software. Kewl........ :)

Can anyone explain to me about what Leaf Spy is doing / testing to check for a "Bad Cell"? I just got a bad cell warning this afternoon.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--G

gmikol said:
Can anyone explain to me about what Leaf Spy is doing / testing to check for a "Bad Cell"? I just got a bad cell warning this afternoon.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--G
Can you post a screenshot of the message?

Nissan has a procedure for determining a bad cell(s) and that is what has been implemented into Leaf Spy.

First the lowest cell must be less than 3.713 volts. Then a lower target is calculated based on the max cell voltage minus the average cell voltage times 1.5. This computed value is subtracted from the average and is the target (or judgement value in Nissan terms). Any cell less than or equal to this judgement value should get replaced.

Before going to the dealer I would like to verify the calculations. For that I need the maximum cell voltage, average cell voltage and the minimum cell voltage. This is all done with the Leaf parked.

For Leaf Spy testers I have released a new version (0.32.28). Please install and report back here any problems.

This version has a new layer that handles only the character to frame conversion which should allow better support for some devices.

WiFi support has been added for anyone with a WiFi OBDii adapter. This is still in testing.

For 2013 and newer Leafs where the BMS module goes to sleep during charging the code has been changed to detect and skip trying to read from the BMS. Unfortunately this is where the SOC, shunt, cell pair voltages and battery temperature reading come from so they will not get updated while charging unless you turn on the Leaf.

I wonder if Nissan made this change to try to block Leaf Spy from reading battery information while charging.

Check built-in history file for all the changes.

bowthom said:
Turbo3 said:

Don T
Work on the iOS version got suspended while I worked on supporting the Leaf Hackaton and has been on hold due to other activities/events these last few months.

I hope to get back to it shortly. I now have an iPhone to test with as well as my wife's iTouch. I have a bunch of the iOS compatible OBDii adapters plus one adapter that works with both iOS and Android devices.

Turbo3 said:
I wonder if Nissan made this change to try to block Leaf Spy from reading battery information while charging.
I think it's more likely that they're trying to eliminate parasitic loads on the 12v battery. Too many people are having their 12v batteries go dead unnecessarily.

garsh said:
Turbo3 said:
I think it's more likely that they're trying to eliminate parasitic loads on the 12v battery. Too many people are having their 12v batteries go dead unnecessarily.
I only said the BMS was not responding to requests. That does not mean the BMS is not active during charging monitoring each cells voltage and reporting normal status on the CAN bus.

When the Leaf is off, Leaf Spy is the only thing making requests while charging so the only thing affected by this change. Power usage is the same either way.

That's very strange... why bother? Why only during charging?? Wonder if there's another message used by the consult to wake up the BMS while charging. When during charging does it stop? Right away??

Back