Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just updated to v.33.40 on the Kyocera. Did not lose any data in the Log file or in settings. Don't know what Gary is missing (straight line for Gary to make a humorous comment).

Turbo3 said:
garygid said:
This ver 33.40 seems to have lost all the "previous" data.
No problem if that was intentional, but the previous update
retained the "old" data. FYI, Gary
Do you recall if it was just the 96 cell pair data that got cleared or did it include the VIN, SOH,Hx and other saved data?

Using Android 4.4.2 on the new LG G3 smartphone, running
latest (.40) LSPro, the "Menu" button (3 horizontal lines) does
not appear, so there is no way to get to Settings, About, etc.

So, when pressing the Return button to get the Exit or Not, perhaps
you could add Settings, About, etc there?

Are there other Smartphones with this problem?

garygid said:
Using Android 4.4.2 on the new LG G3 smartphone, running
latest (.40) LSPro, the "Menu" button (3 horizontal lines) does
not appear, so there is no way to get to Settings, About, etc.

So, when pressing the Return button to get the Exit or Not, perhaps
you could add Settings, About, etc there?

Are there other Smartphones with this problem?
If your device does not have a dedicated "menu" button then hold down the "recent apps" button (two overlapping boxes).

Thanks, I just found the solution, and tried it.
As you said, the old Menu button function is now hidden behind
the Recent (two rectangle) button, activated by holding
down the Recent button until the Menu function activates.

So, next I will need to try the LG G3 Bluetooth, pairing, and
the in-car use with the ELM-ish OBD dongle.

Thanks, Gary

I was able to collect data from a 2013 Leaf and found that they no longer support reading the 12 volt battery amps. The command returns data but it is normally just zeros.

I was hoping they just used a different command to read the amps but Nissan uses the same command as 2011/2012 Leafs. Don't know if this was a mistake in VCM coding or they just ran out of code space and just dropped it. Seems a strange measurement to drop. Perhaps I should look into dumping the VCM code and start decoding it. That would sure answer a lot of questions about what can and can not be done over the CAN bus.

To support those transplanting the Leaf battery/BMS to another vehicle and reorganizing the cell pairs any cell returning zero volts will be excluded from the graph scaling and the average and minimum cell readings. It will still show up as a missing bar on the voltage graph. Otherwise the auto scaling would prevent you from zooming in as it would try to always show the lowest cell. Now the lowest cell is defined as the lowest voltage greater than zero.

A cell reporting a voltage of 4.5v or greater will also not be included in scaling. It will just go off the top of the graph.

Tester versions uploaded to Playstore.

0.33.41 Leaf Spy Pro
0.32.27 Leaf Spy

Also includes code to write a message to the ERRdata.txt file if the previous data can not be read into the app as was reported by Gary. This might help debug this problem.

Please install and report back here on how they work. See change log for detailed changes.

These are ready to move to Publish once I get some positive reports.

Think they are referencing the traction battery voltage. Both were usually the same, reading ~384. The The 12V battery's Volts and Amps are fine.

Sorry, you where referring to the HV battery voltages on the top line. Yes, there have always been two. That is what the Leaf is giving me so I display both when there is enough room. Depends on screen resolution if two will fit. If not then you only get the first one.

Why two? We need to ask Nissan engineering that question.

garygid said:
One might be the measured pack voltage,
and the other might be the sum of all the cell voltages.
The two voltages come at the end of reading all 96 cell pair voltages (request 0x79b 0x21 0x02, group 2) so it would be possible to add them all up and see if it matched one of the two values returned with the 96 voltages.

Not sure if i have to update some LeafSPy Pro settings to get the SOC % to 100 when battery is fully charged ,
my readings when fully charged
win69w.jpg

I've been playing with the braking screen lately. I'm finding that this isn't quite useful information to me. What I'd really like to see is a measure of braking power rather than force. Right now, if you're going really slow and you hit the brake, you see a lot of red. But in terms of power, it's hardly worth mentioning because of the slow speeds.

Does the CAN bus also provide speed? If we could display the graph as (force X speed), then we have something that shows power.

WDYT?

On the car CAN bus there's a message that already does this: 0x292 byte 6. "Friction braking measured to provide the same braking force as 55 regen motor amps (cc180.23) per tick" as per the canmsg google doc.

garsh said:
I've been playing with the braking screen lately. I'm finding that this isn't quite useful information to me. What I'd really like to see is a measure of braking power rather than force. Right now, if you're going really slow and you hit the brake, you see a lot of red. But in terms of power, it's hardly worth mentioning because of the slow speeds.

Does the CAN bus also provide speed? If we could display the graph as (force X speed), then we have something that shows power.

WDYT?
All the necessary information is, indeed, available to provide this. I worked out the scalars empirically from my own Leaf measurements here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4131&start=380

and implemented a braking display on my own device as shown here:
file.php

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11557&start=658

Each white tic on the right-hand bar graph is 6kW (one regen bubble) and the green shows the kW braking being applied via regen and red shows the kW being applied(wasted) via friction. This gives a nice intuitive feel for your braking efficiency.

JeremyW said:
On the car CAN bus there's a message that already does this: 0x292 byte 6. "Friction braking measured to provide the same braking force as 55 regen motor amps (cc180.23) per tick" as per the canmsg google doc.
This is still just in units of force - not power as garsh is looking for (motor voltage is not constant, but rather, proportional to speed).

azguy: if you have 292 gid's you are doing really well. If your batt temps are consistently over 100f this won't last long...

Is the "hot weather" battery pack I heard rumors of?

Back