2014 July Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 3019 , Total 10533

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Here is the monthly report at insideevs.com.

http://insideevs.com/july-2014-plug-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Monthly-Plugins.png

ytd-bev-share.png

ytd-phev-share.png

Totals-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins-table.png

Since San Fran Bay area dealers are having a hard time keeping the 2015 SL in stock, I'll say sales have been good. I'm guesstimating 3,500 for July. There was probably pent up demand for 2015 with the hot battery.

I just saw an i3 cruising down the road here in Portland. Can't get any more anecdotal than that, but I'm using it to guess that we'll see some good numbers from BMW.

The local dealer here is well stocked with LEAF 2015 S model, so I think the sales numbers will be good.

Was hard pressed to find an SL anywhere. Maybe I am not the only one turned off by the black interior.

I was amazed when shopping for our Leaf in Charlotte NC and RockHill SC, how many dark cars with dark interiors were out on the lots. It was the main reason I did not go with the SL. Dark interior ( or any leather) in the south means sweaty backs and fried thighs. My dealer found our perfect light blue with light grey cloth interior Leaf. While it may have been a 2013 and not a 14 it is wonderful. Even this summer, all I do is hit the climate control 15 min. before end of a day shift and I climb in a cool car. The rest of my teammates are sooo out of luck.

The dealer here - Autonation, Lewsiville - who has done very well selling a lot of Leafs this year, tells me July has been bad primarily because Nissan has decreased the residual on the 2015s (and thereby increasing the lease price). It is now 45% residual compared to 55% for the 2014s. That has effectively increased the monthly lease prices to around $50 for an SV, and his sales has slowed down.

He says he has 35 (2015 models) in his lot, but I could count no more than 20 though.

mkjayakumar said:
It is now 45% residual compared to 55% for the 2014s.
I doubt what he is saying is correct. Is that 2 yrs or 3 yrs ?

The residuals changed in 2013 or so - and have been low. The MF varies a lot and changes the monthly payment.

MrIanB said:
Expecting Leaf sales to kick my Volt sales ass again unfortunately.

Ian. B
Why "unfortunately"? People buy the car that suits them best. Maybe that's a LEAF or one of the compliance BEVs, or maybe it's a Volt/Fusion/C-Max/PiP. It's all good - the more plug-ins out there, the more that will be eventually available on the used market, and thus the more people who will have access to them and get to experience driving on batteries.

GRA said:
MrIanB said:
Expecting Leaf sales to kick my Volt sales ass again unfortunately.

Ian. B
Why "unfortunately"? People buy the car that suits them best. Maybe that's a LEAF or one of the compliance BEVs, or maybe it's a Volt/Fusion/C-Max/PiP. It's all good - the more plug-ins out there, the more that will be eventually available on the used market, and thus the more people who will have access to them and get to experience driving on batteries.

No biggie, I still have my 2011 Leaf that has worked like a champ. I just want both to succeed but GM is atrocious w their marketing campaign that does not seem to bump sales. It's the best car that no one knows about.

Ian B

Another anecdotal point. One of my neighbors bought Leaf. That makes us 3 out of 4 houses with Leafs.

pkulak said:
I just saw an i3 cruising down the road here in Portland. Can't get any more anecdotal than that, but I'm using it to guess that we'll see some good numbers from BMW.
I still have seen 0 i3's in the Bay Area other than when I went to meet two owners/lessees, one of whom is here on MNL.

I wonder if it'll break 500/month in the US as well...

KJD said:
Was hard pressed to find an SL anywhere. Maybe I am not the only one turned off by the black interior.
We moved from the 2011 with gray interior to the 2013 with black interior. It seemed weird at first. But we got used to it within just a few days. Now when I see an older Leaf with the gray, it seems kind of weird.

There are no Leafs that I know of in my neighborhood outside of mine, but there are two Teslas and a FFE...

evnow said:
Another anecdotal point. One of my neighbors bought Leaf. That makes us 3 out of 4 houses with Leafs.

cwerdna said:
pkulak said:
I still have seen 0 i3's in the Bay Area other than when I went to meet two owners/lessees, one of whom is here on MNL.

I wonder if it'll break 500/month in the US as well...
I've yet to see one either, let alone a B-class. OTOH, a couple of days ago during approximately 20 minutes of non-consecutive time doing walking errands, I saw 3 Leafs, 2 Volts, and single examples of the Fusion and C-Max Energi, PiP, 500e, Spark EV and even an FFE (only the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen/recognized one). If I'd been out during the height of the commute I would undoubtedly have seen a Model S or two.

I saw i3 a few days after release - and Model S probably within a week of release.

OTOH, I didn't see another Leaf or Volt for several months (apart from Leaf meets).

Back