2014 July Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 3019 , Total 10533

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick q? Why does the US have a preponderance for selling a '2015' model in 2014. Is it not a 2014 model if it's sold in 2014? Is it something to do with you guys getting your dates all back-to-front?

On the subject of the listing given, is there any reason Spark EV doesn't sell very well? Looks like a great little package to me, but we don't get any over here.

donald said:
Just a quick q? Why does the US have a preponderance for selling a '2015' model in 2014. Is it not a 2014 model if it's sold in 2014? Is it something to do with you guys getting your dates all back-to-front?
I think it's traditional and stems from aggressive marketing in the past. It was interesting discussing this issue with Nissan, as they do not have model years at all in Japan. So the Japanese manufacturers simply have to create a model year for their cars to support the U.S. market, even if that does not align with their product introductions. I think partially as a result of this, the timing of new model years of the LEAF has been all over the map. IIRC, here were the approximate months of introduction:

MY Month
2011 12/2010
2012 09/2011
2013 03/2013
2014 12/2013
2015 06/2014

It's completely nonsensical. I think in Japan they simply differentiate their cars by version.

donald said:
As Reg said, just some of the strange quirks of the US. Both the car model years and the date formats.
Usually the model year changes very early with a significant new version or change of the product.
Some brand new products arrive as early as April or May of the previous year.
The "2015" change is the heat resistant battery chemistry. Once Nissan made that significant change, the model year had to change.
Not that they talk very much about the change.
LEAF S model does get back some things that shouldn't have been left off of it in the first place.

donald, could you update your location and/or signature to show UK and that you have a Renault Fluence ZE?

Here is some fun statistic.

9 out of 14 months Nissan sold over 2k – from Mar-13 to apr-14. It had never sold > 2k previously.

Now, 2 out of 3 months Leaf has sold > 3k – though previously never sold over 3k.

So, I think 3K is the new 2k. Expect Leaf to sell over 3k regularly from now on.

donald said:

On the subject of the listing given, is there any reason Spark EV doesn't sell very well? Looks like a great little package to me, but we don't get any over here.
The one word answer; battery

DaveinOlyWA said:
adric22 said:
Looks like they topped 3,000 for july.
So like how many?

BMW i3 recorded < 400 again. This after a bunch of last minute deliveries reported in FB. Apparently someone was telling of the guys how there is a push from BMW to deliver as many as possible in July.

There are 5k US i3s produced - apparently. Cars.com shows 900.

I think BMW has a problem with i3 demand. Not that I expect BMW to come out and say that anytime soon ... hope they fix their stupid leasing structure soon.

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
adric22 said:
So like how many?
BMW i3 recorded < 400 again. This after a bunch of last minute deliveries reported in FB. Apparently someone was telling of the guys how there is a push from BMW to deliver as many as possible in July.
There are 5k US i3s produced - apparently. Cars.com shows 900.
I think BMW has a problem with i3 demand. Not that I expect BMW to come out and say that anytime soon ... hope they fix their stupid leasing structure soon.
3,019 is an impressive number for the LEAF. Not as much as I had hoped for, but very good just the same.

As for the i3, this car is just way over priced. The specs on the car are very close to the same as a LEAF and the price of the i3 is about 16,000 more than the 2015 LEAF SL.

Now I know that blue and white emblem on the hood is worth something, but not that much more.

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
adric22 said:
So like how many?

Right! The overall design (interior/exterior - It's ugly - kinda like a Kia Sol) and price, i.e. starts at $45K
and loaded at about $52K. But the media keeps hyping Tesla and BMW as the key 'players' for BEVs,
i.e. like the i8 is a MS competitor and the i3 will over take the low end BEVs.

3019 is ok but not what I was expecting. my predictions have them building to nearly 4,000 a month by the time the 2016 is released and then it will be 5,000+ and escalating fast

DaveinOlyWA said:
3019 is ok but not what I was expecting. my predictions have them building to nearly 4,000 a month by the time the 2016 is released and then it will be 5,000+ and escalating fast
It is going to be interesting how they will handle transition from gen1 to gen2.

If gen2 has more range for the same price - they won't be able to sell any gen1 once the news is out. They'll probably do what they did with S/SV/SL in '13. S got the old 3.3kw charger. May be in Gen2, S will continue to get the 24kWh battery - but SV/SL will get bigger battery. Or all three get the bigger battery option.

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
It is going to be interesting how they will handle transition from gen1 to gen2.

If gen2 has more range for the same price - they won't be able to sell any gen1 once the news is out. They'll probably do what they did with S/SV/SL in '13. S got the old 3.3kw charger. May be in Gen2, S will continue to get the 24kWh battery - but SV/SL will get bigger battery. Or all three get the bigger battery option.

oh they will sell them, just cut the price and someone will buy them. keep in mind, not all areas of the country are well supplied. in some cases, you kinda have to take what you can get unless you are willing to go out of state

KJD said:
As for the i3, this car is just way over priced. The specs on the car are very close to the same as a LEAF and the price of the i3 is about 16,000 more than the 2015 LEAF SL.
Yep. Overpriced and lease prices are still crazy. In terms of interior capacity, it's only a sub-compact 4-seater vs. a midsized 5-seater. It DOES accelerate much faster than a Leaf though but yeah, its range is almost identical. Its optional DC FC port is currently near useless, esp. for those outside CA.

And, if you compare the REx versions to other PHEVs, it's way overpriced too w/very crippled propulsion once you're using the REx if you try to going up prolonged steep grades. The US version has no equivalent of mountain mode on the Volt. And heck, even the Volt is classified as a compact vs. the sub-compact i3.

Back