2014 Rumor for Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanCar

I think the 2014 leaf is going to look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_LE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advantages for Nissan:
1. Looks better
2. Has room for 10% more batteries.
3. Drag coefficient lowered from .29 to .25. How much more freeway miles is that?

Does it makes sense to have a Nissan version of the infiniti? :)

DanCar said:
I think the 2014 leaf is going to look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_LE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It definitely won't. They don't want their $28k car to look like their $40k car.

I would be shocked if you could tell the 2013 and 2014 Leafs apart and if there was anything more than slight adjustments for 2015/2016 Leafs.

I think by 2015 or 2016, we will see a change in the battery. Possibly a chemistry change that is more tolerant of heat, and possibly a longer-range option, say a 28 or 30 kWh battery for an extra 2-3 thousand bucks.

leafedbehind said:
I think by 2015 or 2016, we will see a change in the battery. Possibly a chemistry change that is more tolerant of heat, and possibly a longer-range option, say a 28 or 30 kWh battery for an extra 2-3 thousand bucks.
My next car purchase/lease will be in 2016. I'm fully expecting to see a LEAF with a 200+ EPA miles by then. The LEAF suits me very well, and I don't need a bigger more luxurious car, but the 200+ miles is an absolute requirement. So if I can't find a LEAF with that range, I guess I can live with a Tesla.

OttoH said:
My next car purchase/lease will be in 2016. I'm fully expecting to see a LEAF with a 200+ EPA miles by then. The LEAF suits me very well, and I don't need a bigger more luxurious car, but the 200+ miles is an absolute requirement. So if I can't find a LEAF with that range, I guess I can live with a Tesla.
I'd be astonished if the 2016 LEAF had anything close to 200 miles range. The size of the battery needed would make for a much larger and heavier car; it isn't anything they could cram into the current LEAF. And that bigger, heavier, car would have lower mileage efficiency so an even larger battery would be needed to compensate for it.

Think about it: 200 miles is about triple the current 70 mile range. Triple the current 24 kWh would be 72 kWh. To make up for the extra weight and car size (increased frontal area drag) a battery of perhaps of 80 kWh might be needed. How much would that cost?

If 200 miles really is your requirement, a Tesla would be the way to go. Nissan isn't likely to build such a car anytime soon because it isn't remotely a mass market price point.

dgpcolorado said:
I'd be astonished if the 2016 LEAF had anything close to 200 miles range. The size of the battery needed would make for a much larger and heavier car; it isn't anything they could cram into the current LEAF. And that bigger, heavier, car would have lower mileage efficiency so an even larger battery would be needed to compensate for it.

Think about it: 200 miles is about triple the current 70 mile range. Triple the current 24 kWh would be 72 kWh. To make up for the extra weight and car size (increased frontal area drag) a battery of perhaps of 80 kWh might be needed. How much would that cost?

If 200 miles really is your requirement, a Tesla would be the way to go. Nissan isn't likely to build such a car anytime soon because it isn't remotely a mass market price point.
Yes, it will be triple the battery capacity, or close to it. However, I still expect Nissan to do it. Tesla S with the 85kWh battery is selling quite briskly, and I don't see why Nissan can't do something similar. It may not be in a LEAF as we know it today, maybe not a LEAF of any kind, but Tesla has shown that it can be done. The genie is out of the bottle, and Nissan will have to respond. Range is the number one complaint against EVs. It has to be resolved.

I also believe Nissan has the engineering talent to pull it off. And in my case they have until 2016 to get it done :)

Don't expect a LEAF to have 3X capacity expect an infinity or other branded Nissan product. My next LEAF will hopefully be a new Tesla compact model.

I've had my Leaf for only a week. I love it. I miss the luxuries of my previous cars. If this Infiniti comes to market, it will likely be my next car.

EVDRIVER said:
Don't expect a LEAF to have 3X capacity expect an infinity or other branded Nissan product. My next LEAF will hopefully be a new Tesla compact model.
Late 2016 for that one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_BlueStar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
DanCar said:
It definitely won't. They don't want their $28k car to look like their $40k car.
Are you aware that other Infiniti's are rebranded Nissans and look alike?

The Gen1 LEAF is planned for a six year production cycle. Nissan has stated this several times so unless they change plans, there will be no repackaging of major components (like battery) before the 2017 model. If they can get more energy dense cells into the same space or an additional trunk battery then who knows what capacity could get up to.

I for one sort of like this as there will be a greater likelihood of parts compatibility across six model years of LEAF.

TRONZ said:
The Gen1 LEAF is planned for a six year production cycle. Nissan has stated this several times so unless they change plans, there will be no repackaging of major components (like battery) before the 2017 model. If they can get more energy dense cells into the same space or an additional trunk battery then who knows what capacity could get up to.

I for one sort of like this as there will be a greater likelihood of parts compatibility across six model years of LEAF.

I agree with everything you said...and still hope we see a higher capacity battery "retrofit" option (same form/fit) for 2017 and beyond!

DanCar said:
EVDRIVER said:
Late 2016 for that one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_BlueStar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My leaf should last that long, and I'll be making the same purchase.

Interesting that the Gen2 LEAF and Tesla Bluestar will likely come to market within 12 months of each other. I expect this to be an all out war for the hearts, minds and dollars of EV shoppers.

Personally, I believe the victor would be the Tesla.

TRONZ said:
Interesting that the Gen2 LEAF and Tesla Bluestar will likely come to market within 12 months of each other. I expect this to be an all out war for the hearts, minds and dollars of EV shoppers.

TRONZ said:
They won't be much in the same market. The leaf after government incentives is below $20k. The bluestar before government incentives is $40K and $30K after. So bluestar is 50% more expensive.

TomT said:
Personally, I believe the victor would be the Tesla.
if victory is defined as most selling then I believe Nissan will win because of $20K versus $30K price. If you are talking about profit, then perhaps Tesla. Long term hope Tesla wins with pure EV design solution versus Nissan which is trying to save money by having similar gas car and EV car trade off.

Back