2014 Rumor for Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DanCar said:
if victory is defined as most selling then I believe Nissan will win because of $20K versus $30K price. If you are talking about profit, then perhaps Tesla. Long term hope Tesla wins with pure EV design solution versus Nissan which is trying to save money by having similar gas car and EV car trade off.
I think we need to look at other possible cars too. BMW is one, Mercedes is another, maybe the Fiat 500 or something bigger will be available... EVs are not a fad, other manufacturers will enter the market with real EVs, not just compliance cars. Competition will heat up.

My lease is up in Q1/2016, I can probably wait a few months if I have to in order to catch the 2017 models. I fully expect to see a 200+ mile EV from a major manufacturer at around $30k (adjusted for inflation) by that time. I wouldn't mind if it was a LEAF-like car since I like mine a lot, but I'm not married to Nissan. So I will look at whatever is available with that range or greater when the time comes.

My wife and I drove a Tesla S a couple of months ago, and she was really impressed. She has made it clear that she would prefer us to not buy another ICE again ever.

OttoH said:
Yes, it will be triple the battery capacity, or close to it. However, I still expect Nissan to do it. Tesla S with the 85kWh battery is selling quite briskly, and I don't see why Nissan can't do something similar. It may not be in a LEAF as we know it today, maybe not a LEAF of any kind, but Tesla has shown that it can be done. The genie is out of the bottle, and Nissan will have to respond. Range is the number one complaint against EVs. It has to be resolved.

I also believe Nissan has the engineering talent to pull it off. And in my case they have until 2016 to get it done :)

That's a whole lot of wishful thinking there. If Nissan could pull off even *twice* its current EPA range in 3 years at the same price point (regardless of mass), that would be nothing less than spectacularly epic in terms of engineering. It's been said before and I'll say it again: there is no Moore's law of battery technology. I wouldn't expect this doubling of battery capacity in anything less than 5 years, and probably longer.

OttoH said:
My next car purchase/lease will be in 2016. I'm fully expecting to see a LEAF with a 200+ EPA miles by then. The LEAF suits me very well, and I don't need a bigger more luxurious car, but the 200+ miles is an absolute requirement. So if I can't find a LEAF with that range, I guess I can live with a Tesla.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7347-UNOFFICIAL-Bluestar-Pricing-and-Options
You are going to be disappointed with the Tesla bluestar in 2016/17. For $37K before government incentives it will have a 30kWh battery and perhaps a 100 mile range at 75mph. You will probably have to pay $47K for the 60kWh battery that will have 200 mile range. If they have a nice lease deal like the Leaf I would buy it, although it is almost double the current price of the Leaf.

Tesla is a disruptive company because they are bypassing the dealer and save money that way.

I am all for more range. right now, I wish mine had an extra 20 miles (but then again, come Summer, I will !) but I think what we will more likely see is maybe 25% increase in range with another price cut. This is really what needs to happen.

but they also have to bolster their EV portfolio. the NV 200 is very much a niche vehicle (and small niche at that) so I would expect to see a mid sized sedan (Altima EV? similar but like the LEAF an "all new" design) with 150 mile real range (to match the RAV) for upper 20's after incentives.

DanCar said:
OttoH said:
My next car purchase/lease will be in 2016. I'm fully expecting to see a LEAF with a 200+ EPA miles by then. The LEAF suits me very well, and I don't need a bigger more luxurious car, but the 200+ miles is an absolute requirement. So if I can't find a LEAF with that range, I guess I can live with a Tesla.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7347-UNOFFICIAL-Bluestar-Pricing-and-Options
You are going to be disappointed with the Tesla bluestar in 2016/17. For $37K before government incentives it will have a 30kWh battery and perhaps a 100 mile range at 75mph. You will probably have to pay $47K for the 60kWh battery that will have 200 mile range. If they have a nice lease deal like the Leaf I would buy it, although it is almost double the current price of the Leaf.

Tesla is a disruptive company because they are bypassing the dealer and save money that way.

that would be a real performance break thru. a LEAF with a 30 KWH battery would project to "roughly" 105 miles but at the standard 65. problem is that extra 10 mph will KILL the range. I would guess it would drop to 85 at best

DanCar said:
OttoH said:

those price points and longer ranges will go a long way to getting more of the masses to consider an EV.
One reason that I leased a LEAF for 2 years was to have an EV now and the flexibility to get a much better vehicle in this quickly world

dm33 said:
Any chances of a TMS in the 2014 model year? That seems to be the Leafs weakest point.

Not only No for 2014, but No for 2015 and beyond. However, I was told by a Nissan exec to expect a major battery chemistry/mileage change (at least 150) for the 2015 MY.

DanCar said:
I think the 2014 leaf is going to look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_LE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advantages for Nissan:
1. Looks better
2. Has room for 10% more batteries.
3. Drag coefficient lowered from .29 to .25. How much more freeway miles is that?

Does it makes sense to have a Nissan version of the infiniti? :)

Not gonna happen. The LE has been put on hold indefinitely.

LEAFfan said:
Not only No for 2014, but No for 2015 and beyond. However, I was told by a Nissan exec to expect a major battery chemistry/mileage change (at least 150) for the 2015 MY.
If it came from a Nissan exec, then those are likely Nissan miles. Multiply by about 0.7 to get normal/cold weather range.

Still good news!

RegGuheert said:
LEAFfan said:
If it came from a Nissan exec, then those are likely Nissan miles. Multiply by about 0.7 to get normal/cold weather range.
Still good news!
That does not sound like good news to me. Nissan needs to have a battery upgrade for all those lease customers as they hit that 36 month lease end.

LEAFfan said:
I'm assuming those packs will be backward compatible with the earlier Leafs? :twisted:

2015 (or MY15) looks right. This is what the Infiniti boss also implied when he said it doesn't make sense to bring out the LE now since a new chemistry is expected in 12 to 18 months.

It would be an interesting choice in '17 (post tax credit) :

$18k Leaf with 150 miles range vs
$30k Tesla with 200 miles range

Interesting thing is what this does to PHEVs. I wonder whether they will disappear or will they be available only in heavier vehicles. I don't think there will be much of a market for vehicles like the current Volt.

Nubo said:
I just want a convertible. :lol:

Smart ED is one of the few electric convertable options today.
ev-red-cab.jpg

evnow said:
2015 (or MY15) looks right. This is what the Infiniti boss also implied when he said it doesn't make sense to bring out the LE now since a new chemistry is expected in 12 to 18 months.

It would be an interesting choice in '17 (post tax credit) :

$18k Leaf with 150 miles range vs
$30k Tesla with 200 miles range

Interesting thing is what this does to PHEVs. I wonder whether they will disappear or will they be available only in heavier vehicles. I don't think there will be much of a market for vehicles like the current Volt.
Agreed. I've been assuming I'll get the Tesla gen III, but is Nissan can do a Leaf replacement with double the range or better under 20k, it would be a tough call. I would lean towards the Nissan.

I'm hoping something shows up by the end of my current 2yr lease. I've read I can extend up to a year after that so 2016 for me at the latest or I'll have to get another interim car.

I've read I can extend up to a year after that
Where did you read this? I would have done 36 mo on my Leaf but 24 was the best price by far. If I could extend at current payment I almost certainly would.

evnow said:
... It would be an interesting choice in '17 (post tax credit) :
$18k Leaf with 150 miles range vs $30k Tesla with 200 miles range
Won't be an interesting choice for most people. The $18k option is much more affordable. Although that would be a huge price drop for Nissan Leaf $28k to $18k.
Agree PHEV is on the decline because more expensive than BEV only for light vehicles.

Back