2014 Rumor for Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
Sorry, but it is simply an unfounded rumor...

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I've read I can extend up to a year after that
Where did you read this? I would have done 36 mo on my Leaf but 24 was the best price by far. If I could extend at current payment I almost certainly would.
I googled online for Nissan leases and they said its pretty normal to be approved for a 6 month extension of your lease with same payment terms and that sometimes nissan will extend an additional 6 months. That's what I based the statement on. I assume most folks on this forum are not through their lease yet so I don't know how many would have tried to extend. I would think it makes sense financially to allow a lease extension. Folks continue to pay for an older car. If you could get the same lease terms for a brand new car, why extend your old lease.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7384544_extend-lease-nissan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanCar said:
Won't be an interesting choice for most people. The $18k option is much more affordable. Although that would be a huge price drop for Nissan Leaf $28k to $18k.
Agree PHEV is on the decline because more expensive than BEV only for light vehicles.
I'm talking about after tax credit - so from 22k to 18k in 4 years.

TomT said:

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Where did you read this? I would have done 36 mo on my Leaf but 24 was the best price by far. If I could extend at current payment I almost certainly would.

Maybe someone was thinking of extended warranties? Those can be purchased post-sale.

DanCar said:
evnow said:
... It would be an interesting choice in '17 (post tax credit) :
$18k Leaf with 150 miles range vs $30k Tesla with 200 miles range
Interesting thing is what this does to PHEVs. I wonder whether they will disappear or will they be available only in heavier vehicles. I don't think there will be much of a market for vehicles like the current Volt.
Won't be an interesting choice for most people. The $18k option is much more affordable. Although that would be a huge price drop for Nissan Leaf $28k to $18k.
Agree PHEV is on the decline because more expensive than BEV only for light vehicles.

He did say "post tax credit". Isn't today's Leaf $18,800 in CA post credits?

I don't think that would be much competition for most people. If all $12k buys you is 50 miles' range, it's a no brainer. The wild card in this equation is fast charging - Tesla has a well thought out plan to cover the nation by the end of 2015. Nissan, while its intentions are good, has nowhere near the organization/coordination of Tesla.

Of course, there are the intangibles. Tesla is shaping up to be an American equivalent of BMW in terms of drive quality. There certainly is a market for $35k BMWs even in the presence of $12k Nissans.

I cannot see the future (my crystal ball just gives me a blank stare) but here's what I will do in March 2015 when my (2013 SV lease) expires:
1. [NO IMPROVEMENT IN LEAF BATTERY CHEMISTRY] I'll turn in my Leaf and lease or buy an EV with double my current range at the best price;
2. [2X IMPROVEMENT IN LEAF BATTERY] I'll lease up.
I don't really need the extra range for basic transportation, but I'd love to be able to take a "day trip" now and then. Doubling of the current range would easily accomplish this. It's a luxury I'd pay for.

TomT said:

EatsShootsandLeafs said:

My salesman told me when I leased the Leaf that Nissan would allow me to extend the lease for up to one year buy just continuing to make my current lease payment. I've been meaning to call Nissan Motor Acceptance to verify that.

Quote: My salesman told me when I leased the Leaf that Nissan would allow me to extend the lease for up to one year buy just continuing to make my current lease payment. I've been meaning to call Nissan Motor Acceptance to verify that.

[/quote]You believe what an auto salesman tells you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DanCar said:
kikbuti said:
I've had my Leaf for only a week. I love it. I miss the luxuries of my previous cars. If this Infiniti comes to market, it will likely be my next car.
Which luxuries?
Memory power seat &tilt & telescopic steering wheel. Navigation voice navigation that accepts verbal address or street name, auto up/down power windows for all windows, leather seating in various colors, a hard drive music box, steering wheel mounted controls for ALL audio and navigation functions, more roomy and luxurious interior accommodations.

Fans under the front grill that generate power from the wind on the freeway and extra generators on the back wheels that create more range while driving at high speed as well as 300lbs of solar panels on the roof. Carpet that is sprayed on in two coats not just one, and something that resembles a navigation system not a kid's toy. Last option, a sub $40K Tesla that is smaller than a Model S that I will run out and buy immediately!

Jim said:
My salesman told me when I leased the Leaf that Nissan would allow me to extend the lease for up to one year buy just continuing to make my current lease payment. I've been meaning to call Nissan Motor Acceptance to verify that.

i was a car salesman and i can GUARANTEE you that 99.9 % of carsalesmen would not have that information. it is completely the decision of the leasing company and the payments may or may not be the same as what you have now depending on the terms of the lease. for me? my payments are 162 a month due to a high downpayment. i doubt i would be able to continue that.

on the 2015 infiniti; i am more than a bit disappointed in hearing about the delay especially when it was told to us that the car was "99% set" so not sure what infiniti is saying about the car being "too much on their plate" with other issues being addressed. the price mentioned was also "99%" set and was amazing and really would have boosted infiniti sales which is exactly the issue they were working on to begin with so all this is completely confusing and counter to what was said in January.

EVDRIVER said:
Fans under the fornt grill that generate power from the wind on the freeway and extra generators on the back wheels that create more range while driving at high speed

Seriously? We're still playing this game? Sorry, Nissan is not on the verge of inventing the perpetual motion machine.

(Fans under the grill will create more drag, which will use more energy to overcome than they will generate. Same with generators on the back wheels.)

DaveinOlyWA said:
on the 2015 infiniti; i am more than a bit disappointed in hearing about the delay especially when it was told to us that the car was "99% set" so not sure what infiniti is saying about the car being "too much on their plate" with other issues being addressed. the price mentioned was also "99%" set and was amazing and really would have boosted infiniti sales which is exactly the issue they were working on to begin with so all this is completely confusing and counter to what was said in January.
I think the brand would have taken a hit for two reasons if they released the car early.
1. 75 mile range for premium product compared to Tesla
2. 18 months down the road a much better product arrives.
As a brand manager your highest priority is protecting the brand. Its obvious to me that the Infiniti boss did the right thing.

DanCar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I think the brand would have taken a hit for two reasons if they released the car early.
As a brand manager your highest priority is protecting the brand. Its obvious to me that the Infiniti boss did the right thing.

if #1 were true you would be right

DanCar said:
Exactly. If the Infiniti EV had the same size pack as the LEAF it was dead on arrival and they were smart enough to figure that out.

Build an Infiniti EV with an EPA rating of 150 miles and price it well below the Tesla base model and Infiniti would have a winner.

GetOffYourGas said:
EVDRIVER said:
Fans under the fornt grill that generate power from the wind on the freeway and extra generators on the back wheels that create more range while driving at high speed

Seriously? We're still playing this game? Sorry, Nissan is not on the verge of inventing the perpetual motion machine.

(Fans under the grill will create more drag, which will use more energy to overcome than they will generate. Same with generators on the back wheels.)

You must not be familiar with EVDRIVER's posts. lol.

turbo2ltr said:
GetOffYourGas said:
EVDRIVER said:

hehehe...ya. now if EVDRIVER were to "emote" a bit while posting a "con" the meaning might be more clear :)

turbo2ltr said:
GetOffYourGas said:
EVDRIVER said:

Guilty as charged. It's not the first time I've misread someone's posts, nor will it be the last. I don't have enough hours in my day to read even half the things written on this forum. You guys with 2000+ posts ... I don't know how you do it. And I sometimes wonder if some of you could use other hobbies ;)

Back