Battery Replacement Program Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
aaeet7w said:
I was told since I had no bad cells and there were no error codes that Nissan considered the degradation normal and "my" particular 2011 Leaf was not covered under the extended battery warranty.

I currently have 9 bars and my dealer told me that they expect that I will lose my next bar by the middle of summer. They indicated that they plan to replace the battery at that time. Which dealer are you working with? Did you call the Nissan Leaf customer support number and open a case?

JPWhite said:
aaeet7w said:
I was told since I had no bad cells and there were no error codes that Nissan considered the degradation normal and "my" particular 2011 Leaf was not covered under the extended battery warranty.

All 2011/12 LEAF owners should have got a warranty sticker to put in the warranty manual stating there is a capacity warranty for 60,000 miles/5yrs. Did you get such a sticker in the mail? It came with a letter from Nissan.
I never got a letter or sticker from Nissan :? :? :?

myleaf said:
aaeet7w said:

I currently have 9 bars and my dealer told me that they expect that I will lose my next bar by the middle of summer. They indicated that they plan to replace the battery at that time. Which dealer are you working with? Did you call the Nissan Leaf customer support number and open a case?

I took it to Avondale Nissan, but they said that they were receiving their direction from "Nissan" directly. They gave me a number to corporate but it was closed for Good Friday.

derkraut said:
JPWhite said:
aaeet7w said:

All 2011/12 LEAF owners should have got a warranty sticker to put in the warranty manual stating there is a capacity warranty for 60,000 miles/5yrs. Did you get such a sticker in the mail? It came with a letter from Nissan.
I never got a letter or sticker from Nissan :? :? :?
I never received a letter or sticker either.

My Leaf was at 8 bars, so I took it in and... Just got my car back (Good Friday) from the Nissan service department, after testing it for 3 days they had this to say,
"TESTED VEHICLES BATTERY-NO FAILED CELLS. NO TROUBLE CODES SET IN ANY SYSTEM. TEST DROVE VEHICLE-GOT 40 MILES ON SURFACE STREETS. BATTERY CELLS ALL EQUAL-BEFOR OR AFTER BATTERY WAS DISCHARGED TO LAST BAR. AC TRIM WAS AT 74F AND FAN SPEED ON HIGH. AC USE TAKES ALOT AWAY FROM BATTERY AND HIGH FAN SPEEDS. BATTERY IS LOSING ITY CAPACITY-ITS BEEN FOUR YEARS AND ALMOST 50K MILES-NORMAL WEAR ON THE RECHARGEABLE BATTERY."

I asked about the Extended Battery Warranty and was told that it didn't apply to my vehicle because it had some upgrade done to it. "The extended battery warranty only applied to certain 2011 and 2012 Leafs." He wasn't terribly specific about what upgrade my car had that made it ineligible for the warranty.

All 2011/12 LEAF owners should have got a warranty sticker to put in the warranty manual stating there is a capacity warranty for 60,000 miles/5yrs. Did you get such a sticker in the mail? It came with a letter from Nissan.[/quote]
I never got a letter or sticker from Nissan :? :? :?[/quote]
I never received a letter or sticker either.[/quote]

I have received the letter with the sticker.

I have been taking my Leaf to Auto Nation Nissan Tempe and have been very happy with the service.

aaeet7w said:
My Leaf was at 8 bars, so I took it in and...
That's BS right there. Call up the EV hotline and talk to them or go to a different dealer.

I recall receiving a letter, but never got a sticker or anything as far as I can remember.

aaeet7w said:
My Leaf was at 8 bars, so I took it in and... Just got my car back (Good Friday) from the Nissan service department, after testing it for 3 days they had this to say,
"TESTED VEHICLES BATTERY-NO FAILED CELLS. NO TROUBLE CODES SET IN ANY SYSTEM. TEST DROVE VEHICLE-GOT 40 MILES ON SURFACE STREETS. BATTERY CELLS ALL EQUAL-BEFOR OR AFTER BATTERY WAS DISCHARGED TO LAST BAR. AC TRIM WAS AT 74F AND FAN SPEED ON HIGH. AC USE TAKES ALOT AWAY FROM BATTERY AND HIGH FAN SPEEDS. BATTERY IS LOSING ITY CAPACITY-ITS BEEN FOUR YEARS AND ALMOST 50K MILES-NORMAL WEAR ON THE RECHARGEABLE BATTERY."

I asked about the Extended Battery Warranty and was told that it didn't apply to my vehicle because it had some upgrade done to it. "The extended battery warranty only applied to certain 2011 and 2012 Leafs." He wasn't terribly specific about what upgrade my car had that made it ineligible for the warranty.

The announcement in the OP didn't mention those if/ands/buts...
NISSAN ANNOUNCES BATTERY REPLACEMENT PROGRAM FOR LEAF
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (June 20, 2013) – Nissan, the world leader in zero-emission vehicles, today announced plans to offer a battery replacement program for U.S. LEAF customers who wish to replace their original equipment, lithium-ion battery pack.

The program, which will begin during the first half of 2014, will work in tandem with the Nissan standard battery warranty for LEAF – which includes industry-leading five-year, 60,000 mile coverage against battery capacity loss (below approximately 70%) and 8 years/100,000 miles against defects – to provide multiple layers of assurance for electric vehicle owners.
<snip>
All LEAF batteries installed under this program will enjoy coverage similar to the terms of standard battery coverage under the Nissan New Electric Vehicle Limited Warranty and be assured to maintain at least 9 bars capacity, or approximately 70 percent and protection from defects in materials or workmanship for the time they own their LEAF and remain in the battery program. If necessary, Nissan will replace the battery with a new or remanufactured battery to restore capacity at or above a minimum of 9 bars, much like the existing expanded battery capacity warranty.
<snip>

To put it simply, someone is full of crap either at your dealer or at Nissan.

aaeet7w said:

aaeet7w said:
"BATTERY IS LOSING ITY CAPACITY-ITS BEEN FOUR YEARS AND ALMOST 50K MILES-NORMAL WEAR ON THE RECHARGEABLE BATTERY."

The number of years is incorrect .. It has been three years

myleaf said:
aaeet7w said:
"BATTERY IS LOSING ITY CAPACITY-ITS BEEN FOUR YEARS AND ALMOST 50K MILES-NORMAL WEAR ON THE RECHARGEABLE BATTERY."

The number of years is incorrect .. It has been three years

Yeah, I caught that too. I guess four sounded better. But I did call the 1-800 number and the customer affairs representative was very apologetic and said that ALL 2011 and 2012s are covered under the capacity loss warranty. He said that he would pass on the information and gave me a case number and assured me that I would be contacted no later than Thursday. So, I will wait and see...

aaeet7w said:
So, I will wait and see...
If you can wait a bit longer, it may be worth waiting until the supposed "hot" pack becomes available since no-one has gotten a certificate giving them a "hot" pack down the road when their replacement pack inevitably goes belly up, too.

drees said:
aaeet7w said:
If you can wait a bit longer, it may be worth waiting until the supposed "hot" pack becomes available since no-one has gotten a certificate giving them a "hot" pack down the road when their replacement pack inevitably goes belly up, too.

Even better when they offer to replace the battery volunteer to be the first to receive a lizard battery :)

JPWhite said:
drees said:
aaeet7w said:

Even better when they offer to replace the battery volunteer to be the first to receive a lizard battery :)

Well Avondale Nissan contacted me and wants me to take my car back in for some more testing. The service advisor told me the technician may have been mistaken. I don't know what that means. Of course I would beta test a lizard for them, given the opportunity, but with my luck they will probably replace a few cells to get me past the warranty period at 9 bars. For all I know they could alter the software so my car will never get back down to 8 bars. I'm not really okay with having the capacity bars being the criteria for battery replacement. My ChargePoint account says that I use less than 10KWHrs to charge to 100 % when I have 8 miles left on the GOM. I'm pretty sure my capacity is below 70%.

Hey, stop complaining as it sounds like you're on a path to get a new battery sooner or later. Many of us will see 4 bars missing soon after 60k w not to many choices to choose from.

Valdemar said:
Hey, stop complaining as it sounds like you're on a path to get a new battery sooner or later. Many of us will see 4 bars missing soon after 60k w not to many choices to choose from.
Yeah, but unless he gets a lizard battery, any increase in range from the new battery will be short lived. If he gets one soon, he'll probably be down a bar again by this time next year and two by next summer.

drees said:
Yeah, but unless he gets a lizard battery, any increase in range from the new battery will be short lived. If he gets one soon, he'll probably be down a bar again by this time next year and two by next summer.

But we were told we'd get a coupon for the lizard battery anyway, right? And Nissan wouldn't mislead us, would they? ;)

Apparently Nissan has decided that the best approach is to not say anything to anyone... I have not heard one official word from anyone, anywhere since the meeting in Phoenix last August...

mwalsh said:
But we were told we'd get a coupon for the lizard battery anyway, right? And Nissan wouldn't mislead us, would they? ;)

TomT said:
mwalsh said:
Apparently Nissan has decided that the best approach is to not say anything to anyone... I have not heard one official word from anyone, anywhere since the meeting in Phoenix last August...
Considering what you know about Nissan's track record, I can't imagine you're surprised by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back