Charge Port Protector

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUXMAN

I got my new (2nd) leaf 2 weeks ago and part of the deal was the dealer threw in the Charge Port Protector. They are gonna put it on Wednesday morning for me. It is not much in way of protection from rock chips. I wish it was a clear bra like tesla offers. Anyway, my question is...

Has anyone had the Charge Port Protector installed and what do you think of it?

Thanks

Had to Google it - Never heard of it.

3 Years and no scratches in that area.

Have to be pretty palsied to miss that badly.

Did find another older thread on it though.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My own vehicle usage is hard on frontal paint surfaces and typically use clear bra to keep the chipping to a minimum. I looked at protective film on this area under the charge port and decided against it. I didn't see much risk from the charging cords and normally this flexible bumper cover material absorb & deflects the energy of rock hits with little damage. Protecting the hard/metal surfaces are where your dollars should be focused. The kit I installed went on the actual charge door, hood, leading front edge of the fenders, and backsides of the mirrors.

Thanks for the direct to the other thread.
I have never dropped the plug in 2 years on first leaf and neither has my kid, so I am not worried about that. I was hoping to get the Nissan protection package, but that is factory only. I looked into some of the clear bras from local shops but not sure about the quality of material, how long it will last, and future effects on the paint tho.

LUXMAN said:
Thanks for the direct to the other thread.
I have never dropped the plug in 2 years on first leaf and neither has my kid, so I am not worried about that. I was hoping to get the Nissan protection package, but that is factory only. I looked into some of the clear bras from local shops but not sure about the quality of material, how long it will last, and future effects on the paint tho.
I have done a few jobs over the years and prefer the 3M film products. I also know from having hail damage repaired on another car, the replacement charge by the body shop for clear bra on only the hood was $600, the entire kit was maybe $120 on-line. That film had been on the car for 5 years and easily peeled off with some heat from a steamer. At 5 years & 110K miles was starting to look a little funky from sand etching.

Most installs are not that difficult for a DYI unless applying a full face wrap or a highly curved hood. The kits are pre-cut and are floated on wet over either water with a drop of dishwash detergent or over a water & alcohol mix. The tricky part is the film needs to be stretch into place (like saran wrap over a bowl). It helps a lot to have a hot garage area (~80*F+) that is not in direct sunlight, which aids in stretching the film and tooling the water/bubbles out without it drying out too quickly. This last kit installed on the LEAF appeared slightly thicker/heavier and more difficult to stretch but might also have been the air temp slightly too cold the day it was installed. The kit comes with instructions and all the spray bottles & tools needed.

Interesting idea, but not having done it before, I don't think I want to experiment with that.

The part came in at Nissan and they put it on yesterday. The charge port protector actually cover quite a bit of area. It will protect against some chips. Better than nothing I guess.

Back