Put a driver's side 2013 sun visor in my 2011 Leaf...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanton

...and it wasn't as easy as it looked! I pre-ordered the 2013 visor so it was at the dealer when I went for my software recall/upgrade yesterday (took about a week to show up). What should have taken 2 minutes took me over an hour because the plastic mounts were DIFFERENT; of course, I couldn't tell that until I removed the current one and noticed the BACK side of the plastic mount (the part that goes into the roof) was different! Why do they have to change such a simple thing? Anyway, I swapped the plastic pieces on the 2013/2011 visors so I could insert/screw the 2013 visor back into my 2011 Leaf. Yes, the plastic is "chewed up" because it was a b*tch to get them off (I'm no mechanic, so if you can figure out a better way to remove them and keep the pivot tighter, more power to you).

Bottom line: I got the extender I wanted, looks like it was always part of the car and--best of all--I already used it this morning on the way to work (I always have sun coming in my driver's window going BOTH to/from work)!

Attachments

• LeafVisor.jpg
    LeafVisor.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 344
  • VisorFix.jpg
    VisorFix.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 243
OK, OK: I'll take a pic of the (discarded) plastic part and post tonight. I really didn't think anyone would want to see something that's already in a 2013 Leaf, but I suppose my (surprise) extra work is worth a warning to others. I'm still pumped over getting my software update, but I'm going to post those before+after (LeafDD) pics in another thread in a couple of days.

Just remember that experience has shown that whatever gain you may appear to have has proven to be only temporary...

Stanton said:
OK, OK: I'll take a pic of the (discarded) plastic part and post tonight. I really didn't think anyone would want to see something that's already in a 2013 Leaf, but I suppose my (surprise) extra work is worth a warning to others. I'm still pumped over getting my software update, but I'm going to post those before+after (LeafDD) pics in another thread in a couple of days.

Stanton said:

If it was important enough to you to go to the trouble to change it, I'd like to see and hear more :)

And since you had to do some unexpected work to change it, you can save us a bunch of trouble if we choose try to duplicate your mod.

I am also interested in this mod. Let us know how much it cost and what you had to do prefer pictures.
Thanks,
Manny

Gotta say, one of the things that I enjoy most about my '13 over the '12 we had is that the frickin' visors are actually useful when driving north or south. The extension also works great when the sun is right over your rearview mirror. It's the little things...

drmanny3 said:
I am also interested in this mod. Let us know how much it cost and what you had to do prefer pictures.
Thanks,
Manny

I updated my original post; the visor was about $100 at the dealer (there's really no way to get an after-market or discounted part on something so new).

Stanton said:
The upside down "T" part of the plastic is NOT present on the 2011 mount, and won't fit into the 2011 hole.
If that is the only difference between the two mounts, would it work to remove the upside down "T" part of the plastic from the 2013 sun visor mount? Either with a sharp utility knife, a dremel tool, or an oscillating saw.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
Stanton said:
The upside down "T" part of the plastic is NOT present on the 2011 mount, and won't fit into the 2011 hole.
If that is the only difference between the two mounts, would it work to remove the upside down "T" part of the plastic from the 2013 sun visor mount? Either with a sharp utility knife, a dremel tool, or an oscillating saw.
Cheers, Wayne

Probably not (there's a lot of extraneous plastic), which reminds me: the 2 screw holes are just enough off (like millimeters) that the "new" mount doesn't line up with the "old" screw holes anyway.

Edit: I suppose you could drill/expand one of the holes on the "new" mount, but I'm still not convinced you can remove enough plastic (without gutting the "new" mount) to make it fit through the "old" post hole.

I'm guessing the mount could be popped off with a sharp blow from a rubber mallet and a tool of some kind where you could "contain" the stalk on the visor. Probably something like a length of tubing with a channel cut down the side. I'd have to get the parts in hand to feel out the situation properly, but that's the way I'd probably go.

Oh, and the visor part number would be nice too, if you have it.

Edit: Never mind...part numbers nere:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11674&p=276120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
I'm guessing the mount could be popped off with a sharp blow from a rubber mallet and a tool of some kind where you could "contain" the stalk on the visor. Probably something like a length of tubing with a channel cut down the side. I'd have to get the parts in hand to feel out the situation properly, but that's the way I'd probably go.

Based on my limited experience, I think you would destroy the plastic prongs (that you need to grab onto the post) with said blow. At least my sore hands think so...

Curiosity got the better of me. Image one is hole in the roof and image two is the visor mounts compared (annoyingly different).

Looking at the way the visor clips in, it would probably be necessary to find a non-destructive way to slightly spread those tangs first, before trying to push the mount off the stalk. Hmm....

I'm thinking modification of the newer mount might be the way to go. Or some combination of the mount and the roof hole. I'm going to go off and ponder.

Attachments

• LeafVisor_comp.jpg
    LeafVisor_comp.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Img_7523.jpg
    Img_7523.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 87
OK, I got a plan for new visor/old mount. But the old visor and new mount both have to "buy the big one". No going back from this idea:

Cut the old visor from the old mount by cutting that nub off the top of the stalk...the one that holds those tangs tightly in place. The old mount should then just fall off. Then cut the new mount off the new visor by cutting through it with a small saw or rotary tool (Dremel is your friend). You might even be able to just cut those tangs off. Then you can take your undamaged old mount and your undamaged new visor's stalk and join the two together. A light tap on the old mount should drive it home. In theory. ;)

Edit: ^ I would use a small socket the same diameter as those tangs as a spacer between mount and tapping implement.

Found the 2013 left visor online for $79?

http://www.nissanpartsdiscounts.com/oem-part/nissan/leaf-parts/2013/sv/electric/body-hardware/interior-trim/sunvisor-left/96401-3sg7a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A couple questions.
I'm sorry if I'm being dense.
Are we saying that if we cut off the retaining part of the stalk on the OLD visor, leaving the mount undamaged, then cut off the NEW MOUNT, leaving the NEW stalk undamaged, that you think we could then force the NEW stalk into the OLD mount and it would perform correctly?

If that works, then that seems to be the way to go.

I'll have to take your word for it.
If somebody does this, could you confirm this works.

Also, great work on the part number and the link to the discount.

Stanton; bet you had no idea what you were going to start when you did this.

If this works, you are going to make a real contribution here. Thanks

I HATE my 12' visor.

Oh, and does the visor "hold it in place from rotating clip" (actual part name no doubt) line up with the 13' visor?
(i believe it Part #8 on the diagram)

KillaWhat said:
A couple questions.
I'm sorry if I'm being dense.
Are we saying that if we cut off the retaining part of the stalk on the OLD visor, leaving the mount undamaged, then cut off the NEW MOUNT, leaving the NEW stalk undamaged, that you think we could then force the NEW stalk into the OLD mount and it would perform correctly?

If that works, then that seems to be the way to go.

I'll have to take your word for it.
If somebody does this, could you confirm this works.

Yes, your understanding is correct. That retaining nub-thing at the end of the stalk gets cut off. Then you cut off the new mount leaving the new stalk undamaged.

I'll lay odds forcing the new stalk onto the old mount would work. Though I'm thinking now that using a vice to push into place might work better than a mallet blow.

Back