Put a driver's side 2013 sun visor in my 2011 Leaf...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eclecticflower said:
That looks really nice. I wish the extension were wider, since it doesn't cover much window for me to go to the trouble & expense, but I applaud you gentlemen for your efforts. Even sitting tall in the seat (I'm 5'4"), I'd probably still see the sun peeking beneath or to the left of that extension during my morning/evening commutes.

I'm also only 5'4", and it's just the right height!

Used my visor in anger for the first time yesterday afternoon. 5:15pm, as I made the turn north for the last mile of my commute, the sun was positioned just perfectly for the visor extension to work like a charm. I've also found it very useful as a wind deflector when the window is cracked open.

mwalsh said:
KillaWhat...were you able to finish up as suggested?

Not yet.
Hoping someone would try shaving the 2 mil off mounting tabs and it would fit.
I've been back working on the "Brusa Charger under the hood project".
Major movement there.
I'll post when I get back to this one.

Thought I'd let ya'll know that my lock-nut "fix" (as documented in my OP) is still holding after month or so. I don't swing it back-and-forth or hang from it like a monkey, but it's looking like a keeper.

So I'm finally getting around to finishing this mod.
Reviving an old thread because of procrastination.

To refresh, our simple "putting the 2013 sun visor into the 2012 visor mount" didn't go as smoothly as some of us might have liked.
There is a problem because of a design difference involving a taper in the 2012 post that is not present in the 2013 mount, so the post didn't "snap" into the mount as we had hoped.

1S.jpg

My plan was to grind the post down so that it was about 1mm shy of the top of the mount to allow for tension, and then jam a 6m sheet metal screw into the hole of the post, add a couple washers, tighten it up, and Bob's your uncle.
The hole is deep enough that I believed I could get plenty of purchase with the screw to apply enough force to maintain the tension.

What I discovered however, as I started to "carefully" grind down the post, was that there is a metal "sleeve" in there that you can see in this picture.

2S-1.jpg

As with just about everything I have done to this car; Time for an on-the-fly change of plans, hopefully for the better.

I went ahead and finished grinding things to the configuration I originally intended, seen in this picture:

3S.jpg

I then threaded the sleeve to accept an 10-32 - 3/4" Cheese Head machine screw.
Was going to go with a 5M, but but was a bit too big.

4S-1.jpg

I added 2 #12 SS Flat washers to give the movement something to bear(ing) on instead of the plastic, and finished with a split washer, not to keep the screw from backing out, but as a surrogate spring to keep some tension in the system.
Once I was happy with it, I put some Blue thread locker on the screw and a bit if grease between the washers.

5S-1.jpg

6S.jpg

It seems to work well, and it hopefully looks like this was my plan all along.

7.jpg

Once I got it all figured out, the actual time to DO the mod was minimal.

I hope this helps somebody out there.
I'm going to do the other side as well, just because the quality of the visor is so much better, and I didn't lease. :)

While I am happy with the finished result, If I had it to do over again, I would seriously consider keeping the '13 visor intact, and instead modding the attachment to make it fit as someone else described above.

KillaWhat said:
While I am happy with the finished result, If I had it to do over again, I would seriously consider keeping the '13 visor intact, and instead modding the attachment to make it fit as someone else described above.

Nice job. Sorry for all the extra pain you had to go through. Yes, I would do it the way I did it.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13537&start=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see you splurged and got the screw finishing cap too. Did you order it from the same place as you got your visor? I neglected to buy one, thinking they had to be the same as the old (yeah, right!). But will probably wait now until I get the passenger side visor.

Finally found a passenger side sunvisor at a price I could live with. Yes, fine, I'm fibbing in my SIG when I say "2013 sun visors", it should really say "2013 driver's side sun visor with every intention of fitting the passenger side one eventually". But in my defense I can't get all that in my (already 255 character) SIG, so there. :p

Anyway, while I've purchased the passenger side visor from this vendor (and a bonus for me is that it's the illuminated version), they also have the driver's side one available, for just $35 including shipping (EDIT: SALE PRICE, WITH JUST 4 HOURS TO GO AS OF 9:30AM PACIFIC ON 2/20/15). Condition of both looked to be pretty good, and the driver's side also appears to come with the screw cover, which is a $10 part in itself (though things like this often get chewed up during careless removal in junkyards, so I wouldn't count on it being pristine and maybe you'll still need a brand new one to be happy):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351301522023?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: If you do happen to need the screw covers, it's the same part for both sides and the part number is 964203SG0A.

Edit 2: If you want both visors, there are two vendors on eBay right now with them priced at what I think is about right. The one vendor they are $75 the pair shipped and the other they are $49 each shipped (via two separate auctions). $50 bucks each for me would definitely be the top side for used (they are $73 each plus shipping new from the discount online vendors) and since this second vendor would be charging me CA sales tax too...that was a deal killer:

Pair:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131293140484?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

L&R
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231357012338?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331343150556?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Passenger side sun visor finally finished up. Notice that I did get around to buying the screw covers I was missing and that I got the vanity lamp hooked up too.

What I had to do to get 12V for the vanity lamp is remove the map/door lamp assembly and then put a two conductor wire up through the hole for the sun visor, persuading it towards the hole left by the now missing lamp assembly - you have to fish it up heading it towards the rear of the car first, and can't go directly towards the front center of the car or you'll be inside the windshield header post. But there must be a good sized hole or something in the back of that post adjacent to the sun visor mount and you can get out that way. Then, when you've got a fairly good length of wire between the roof and the headliner (let's call it going towards 6 on the clock), you twist it so it whips around to the 9 o'clock position, where you should be able to grab it. You can then get your power from the grey plug feeding the lamp assembly - yellow wire for 12V, black wire for ground.

Someone said that the 12V feed for those lamps only stays active for so long once the car has been turned off, and that appears to be true, but it's a more than sufficient amount of time for whomever is in the passenger seat trying to fix themselves up to do so.

BTW, here is a site that shows how to the change the bulb in the vanity mirror lamp, should you go this route and ever need to:

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Nissan-Armada-Vanity-Mirror-Light-Bulb-Replacement-Guide/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

photo%20112.JPG

Back