My Experiments With Turtle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmydreams

planet4ever said:
mwalsh said:
9+% per bar? Possibly. It seems a bit high to me, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. Especially since I remember now seeing 2 bars represented as 17%. So the least it could be, assuming the two bar limit was only just breached, would be 8.5% per.
It's 8%. I was just quoting what Andy posted from the diagnosis manual: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2265&start=40
See "available charge gauge segments" - OFF timing.

I can tell you what the % is when "Turtle Mode" kicks in:
Screenshot2011-01-13at40424PM.png

I decided to see what would happen before/during a Turtle Mode event. Drove around my neighborhood forever trying to bleed off the last bit of juice. I finally cranked the heat to MAX to burn kW...I got down to 1 bar, about 5 miles range (IIRC) before the range went to 3 dashes and the last bar disappeared. I drove on 3 dashes (no range) for about 2-3 miles before Turtle Mode kicked in. (there are some hills in my neighborhood, so I was getting some regen). Eventually, even the NAV said it couldn't direct me to a charging station because it didn't have any range info to go off of. :lol:

I drove 83 miles on the charge, including 63 miles on the highway at 62mph with the A/C on during the trip home. Overall, not bad.

kolmstead said:
That's great info for two reasons, Jimmy. Gives us a detailed report on the transition to dashes and then turtle, and it also tells me that my 83 mile trip on Saturday to bring my new LEAF home should be easy. I'm going to run 55 mph, heat off, cruise on.

-Karl

I should have posted the legal disclaimer "YMMV!" :twisted:

I think you'll be ok. It'll be close, but doable. You'll probably hit the low battery warning about 5-10 miles from your house...don't panic, though. As long as you leave with a 100% charge, you should be ok. I would use ECO mode 100% during the trip. It won't do anything really on the highway with CC, but it'll increase regen for any stops you make, and every bit will help!

I expect a full report when you get home!! :lol:

Jimmydreams said:
I decided to see what would happen before/during a Turtle Mode event.

And the First Turtle Award goes to Jimmydreams!

Awesome! I intend to do it once too, just to see how the progression goes in the final miles.
I imagine it took away your heater at one point, right? Did it kill it all at once (fan too), or just dial it down?

Jimmydreams, you should post a new thread on this, it will be easier to find. Or I can split this thread ...

Jimmydreams said:
I decided to see what would happen before/during a Turtle Mode event. Drove around my neighborhood forever trying to bleed off the last bit of juice. I finally cranked the heat to MAX to burn kW...I got down to 1 bar, about 5 miles range (IIRC) before the range went to 3 dashes and the last bar disappeared. I drove on 3 dashes (no range) for about 2-3 miles before Turtle Mode kicked in.
So, don't keep us in suspense. What was it like driving in turtle mode? Were you creeping along at 5 MPH? Could you keep going at the speed you were at when it hit? Did you have a tiny bit of acceleration? Was the car frantically beeping at you?

planet4ever said:
So, don't keep us in suspense. What was it like driving in turtle mode? Were you creeping along at 5 MPH? Could you keep going at the speed you were at when it hit? Did you have a tiny bit of acceleration? Was the car frantically beeping at you?

+1...more details needed. Pleeeease!

kolmstead said:
That's great info for two reasons, Jimmy. Gives us a detailed report on the transition to dashes and then turtle, and it also tells me that my 83 mile trip on Saturday to bring my new LEAF home should be easy. I'm going to run 55 mph, heat off, cruise on.

-Karl

Karl, looking forward to your detailed report when you take your baby home! I will have an 84 miles journey when I get my LEAF too (but not until May, it looks like :cry: ) My trip will involve about 75 miles on the freeway and 9 miles on surface roads...I'm pretty confident from all the owner reports and experiments so far that this is doable, just drive a bit conservatively.

planet4ever said:

Sorry, I probably should have gone into more detail. I received the Low Battery warning, then another one that said IIRC "VERY Low battery, shall I direct you to a charging station?", then really nothing until the Turtle Modem engaged. Just a beep and the Turtle symbol and a message (possibly verbal as well?) that said reducing power. I was driving at about 25mph when it kicked in, but didn't really notice anything. The power consumption of the heater (which was cranked up to MAX) didn't seem to diminish much. Sorry, since it was a spontaneous test, I wasn't keeping track of how many miles I was driving between each alarm stage. Plus, I have hills in my neighborhood so regen was a problem. (hahah)

I turned towards my house and floored the "go pedal". The car seemed to max out at about 35mph with about 4-5 acceleration dots showing, but the acceleration was NOTHING like what 4-5 dots would normally be. It was a lot like ECO mode. CARWINGS said I had 2 miles remaining with 0% charge, so I'm sure Turtle mode primarily allows you to safely pull over on the highway, but you're not gonna go much further if you didn't make it to your destination....maybe a mile or two.

I used the charge timer with only the END time set and this morning, the car itself is showing 93miles/103ECO, but CARWINGS is showing this:
Screenshot2011-01-14at85553AM.png

This proves that CARWINGS is a little more optimistic in it's numbers.....I've noticed avg mi/kW numbers in the car being 3.8 and on CARWINGS being 4.3, so it's off by a little bit. Hopefully, they'll tighten up the parameters so they match the car.

Jimmydreams said:
I used the charge timer with only the END time set and this morning, the car itself is showing 93miles/103ECO

Jimmy - I'm somewhat reluctant to ask, since I'm afraid we're not going to love the answer, but do you have TED data for how many real live kWh it took from the wall to take the battery from effective zero to the nominal '24kWh' full state, or perhaps more directly stated, refill it after those 83 miles of driving?

Jimmydreams said:
I used the charge timer with only the END time set and this morning, the car itself is showing 93miles/103ECO, but CARWINGS is showing this:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/Jimmydreams[/quote]

That's weird...I haven't seen a deviation of more than +/- 1 mile between the car and the OP.

Jimmydreams said:
Screenshot2011-01-14at85553AM.png

This proves that CARWINGS is a little more optimistic in it's numbers.....I've noticed avg mi/kW numbers in the car being 3.8 and on CARWINGS being 4.3, so it's off by a little bit. Hopefully, they'll tighten up the parameters so they match the car.

I notice that status screen indicates active charging status - was it in fact still charging when you looked in the car and saw 93? Or is it possible the status display time(stamp) is offset enough from when you looked at the dash that some sort of temperature change affected the range calculation, and a refresh of status exactly when you looked at the dash would have matched? I agree with mwalsh that I've never seen them differ, given that communications are working.

To put it another way - the Owners Portal car status display is, I believe, a "simple" dump of what the car tells it, right then, about the bars and the range (and requires an explicit refresh)...the iPhone app is the same thing, it's not really "Carwings" replete with the usage stats/calculations you refer to, which you fire up separately with the link at the bottom of the owners portal (I think after 3 years if we decide not to pay for Carwings, we'll still have the portal page which simply re-prints what is in the car, just not the collected stats database)

wsbca said:
Jimmydreams said:
I used the charge timer with only the END time set and this morning, the car itself is showing 93miles/103ECO

Jimmy - I'm somewhat reluctant to ask, since I'm afraid we're not going to love the answer, but do you have TED data for how many real live kWh it took from the wall to take the battery from effective zero to the nominal '24kWh' full state, or perhaps more directly stated, refill it after those 83 miles of driving?
+1.

I think ... if you do not pay for CARWINGS (after 3 years), that the car will no longer have "cell-phone" service, so there will be NO communication with the car.

But, that is only my guess.

garygid said:
I think ... if you do not pay for CARWINGS (after 3 years), that the car will no longer have "cell-phone" service, so there will be NO communication with the car.

But, that is only my guess.

I'm fairly confident that the owners portal and iPhone app are not considered "Carwings"..for instance you have to click the link in the portal to "launch carwings" , and other than that link the term is not displayed in the portal, or in the app. I think Carwings is actually a separate company? I could be wrong but I'm hopeful.

wsbca said:
I notice that status screen indicates active charging status - was it in fact still charging when you looked in the car and saw 93? Or is it possible the status display time(stamp) is offset enough from when you looked at the dash that some sort of temperature change affected the range calculation, and a refresh of status exactly when you looked at the dash would have matched? I agree with mwalsh that I've never seen them differ, given that communications are working.

To put it another way - the Owners Portal car status display is, I believe, a "simple" dump of what the car tells it, right then, about the bars and the range (and requires an explicit refresh)...the iPhone app is the same thing, it's not really "Carwings" replete with the usage stats/calculations you refer to, which you fire up separately with the link at the bottom of the owners portal (I think after 3 years if we decide not to pay for Carwings, we'll still have the portal page which simply re-prints what is in the car, just not the collected stats database)

I need to go back to the 117 miles available on CARWINGS vs the 93 miles available showing in the car. I had inadvertently left the climate controls set ON with MAX HEAT. Once I turn that off, the car itself reported 115 miles available. So CARWINGS and the car are indeed the same, assuming climate control isn't activated. :|

wsbca said:
Jimmydreams said:

EDIT EDIT

THE EVSE USED 25.6 kWh to charge from 0% to 100%. That brought my pack from 0% SOC to 100% SOC. Given the stated pack of 24kWh, the extra 1.5kWh are simply losses from charging.

Back