My Experiments With Turtle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
What happens when its 1AM and the dealer is closed, and the charging spots are ICED?.. I bet they will waive that 50 mile rule then.
Or simply expect you to leave your LEAF there until morning. But seriously, a LEAF is most likely to be within 50 miles of home, anyway. I think we would all choose to be taken home, unless we think the car is broken.

what is this thing about "installed the Leaf's tow hook."?
i dont recall seeing that in my trunk.

I see it in the manual...
parking brake can not be released, see “Parking brake mechanical release” later in this section.
VEHICLE RECOVERY (freeing stuck vehicle)
Pulling a stuck vehicle
Do not use the tie down hook for towing or vehicle recovery.
Front:
1. Using a suitable tool wrapped with a cloth, remove the hook cover from the bumper.
2. Securely install the recovery hook as illu- strated. (The hook is stored in the left side of the cargo area.)
Make sure that the hook is properly secured in its original position after use.

TEG said:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/09/field-trial-killing-the-nissan-leafs-battery.html

One thing I find confusing is, he starts with 16 mi on the Guess-o-meter, and 2 bars. His total distance travelled from that point was only 21.6 mi. I thought there was supposed to be a lot of capacity hidden under the last bar?

lincomatic said:
One thing I find confusing is, he starts with 16 mi on the Guess-o-meter, and 2 bars. His total distance travelled from that point was only 21.6 mi. I thought there was supposed to be a lot of capacity hidden under the last bar?
If you figure a typical average of about +/- 8 miles per bar, 2 bars would give you 16 miles, just like the the guess-o-meter indicated. 21.6 - 16 = 5.6 miles extra miles. 5.6 seems like a good amount of distance when you're "empty". I've gotten about 8 extra, but it does depend on terrain and how you drive. I'd be crawling when I get to the point there's no bars left.

thankyouOB said:
what is this thing about "installed the Leaf's tow hook."?
i dont recall seeing that in my trunk.
Mine is in the space behind a panel on the left side of the trunk with the other tools.

GeekEV said:
I'd be crawling when I get to the point there's no bars left.

I'm really surprised this isn't enforced by the car... I would expect during those last 5 miles below the last bar that the available power gets progressively lower to assure a minimum battery voltage but that isn't the case. You shouldn't be allowed to pull 80kW from the pack when you're 4 miles beyond the last "bar" and the cells are resting at 3.1-3.2V. Considering how obnoxiously over protective it is on the high side limiting regen over 80% so that cells never exceed 4.1V for even a second... It just seems oddly asymmetrical.

Back