Carwings / Android App / Leaf Owners Portal

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAWesthaver

A few months ago my Android app stopped working. I found out from this forum that Nissan had a security issue so I patiently waited for my app to start working again (like everyone else).

Now I have the new app but I can't connect to my car. After a long unsatisfying phone call to Nissan's support staff, I've been told that my in-car cell radio has turned itself off for lack of use and that I have to take the car to a dealer to have it turned back on again. OK. Sounds weird but OK...

Now I'm reading that some of ATT's towers are starting to drop 2G support. Could this be why I'm seeing this on my head unit?:

IMG_20160417_191144.jpg

There's an icon in the upper right area of the screen of a car with a radio beam overhead with a slash through it. Am I wrong in interpreting this to mean that I have no cell connectivity?

My car is a 2013 SV on lease. Will Nissan upgrade my system to the new 3G cell radio free of charge since they own the car (not me)?

Any insight would be appreciated. My wife really misses being able to pre-heat/pre-cool the car but I don't want to pay to fix/upgrade a car that I don't own and will be returning at end-of-lease in November.

-Wes

Wes,

I have never seen the no service symbol your dash image shows, but I suspect it is due to lack of ATT 2G service. The telematics unit will turn itself off after 14 days of no use, but it turns back on as soon as the car is turned on. I routinely leave my car parked for extended time and have never needed to do anything more than turn the car on to reactivate the telematics module.

I received an email from Nissan that said they would upgrade the telematics hardware on my 2015 without charge. The email also said they would pay some (or most) of the cost to upgrade older Leafs. You might talk to your dealer if the car is still under the 3-year, 36,000-mile warranty.

Gerry

Back