2023 nissan leaf S new owner So many Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msav

Just got a 2023 Nissan leaf yesterday. I also have a 2021 Chevy Bolt

I am trying to get the Nissan EV connect app setup on my phone. I enter all the new registration info then it goes into some "We are unable to process your request due to discontinuation of att 2g and 3g.

WTF. this makes no sense. do I need to return this car. Not having an app is a deal killer for this vehicle.

Am I using an old app or something. I googled and searched this forum and could not find any info about the app or this issue.

Only see this issue for gen 1. Can anyone direct me to the app I should be using with a 2023 Leaf?

The dealership who sold you the car failed you. They didn't inform you that the S trim Leafs don't have the necessary telematic hardware for remote access. (It also lacks the heat pump.) If you need or really want that access, and you can return the car, I suggest you do so. You need an SV or SL trim Leaf.

And, for '23, due to simplification/reduction of trim levels, there is no SL nor SL Plus for US '23.

See specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2023-nissan-leaf-press-kit?selectedTabId=#release-4eda35dfd61f8a41b0b1418dcc2d3f44. There's only S and SV Plus for '23. One can search there for NissanConnect® EV and telematics.

If the dealer doesn't include/provide a return policy, it might be impossible. I have yet to hear of a US state where there is a mandated return or cooling off period on new cars: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=15822.

msav said:
Just got a 2023 Nissan leaf yesterday. I also have a 2021 Chevy Bolt

I am trying to get the Nissan EV connect app setup on my phone. I enter all the new registration info then it goes into some "We are unable to process your request due to discontinuation of att 2g and 3g.

WTF. this makes no sense. do I need to return this car. Not having an app is a deal killer for this vehicle.

Am I using an old app or something. I googled and searched this forum and could not find any info about the app or this issue.

Only see this issue for gen 1. Can anyone direct me to the app I should be using with a 2023 Leaf?
Don't know what state you are in, but most give you 48 or 72 hours to return for a full refund. Don't quote me on state law as I don't know if it will apply to your situation or not.
Also can confirm, you can check here also, but the S trim does NOT include the EV Connect services.
https://www.nissanusa.com/interactivebrochures/electric-hybrid-cars/leaf/leaf-trims/index.html

knightmb said:
Don't know what state you are in, but most give you 48 or 72 hours to return for a full refund. Don't quote me on state law as I don't know if it will apply to your situation or not.
Have never heard of this. What US states have a mandate that allows a customer to return a new vehicle for a full refund within 48 or 72 hours?

Can you name some states that do and reputable sources of the laws, esp. state govt pages and one that doesn't require the purchase of an additional contract or option?

I've asked this at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=15822 and https://priuschat.com/threads/which-states-have-a-cooling-off-return-period-on-new-cars.103928/ and didn't even got an answer of one state, let alone most. I may be wrong and am willing to be proven as such...

Since you are in TN, I found these:
https://chattanoogalaw.org/pages/info-vehicle
Can I return the car?

You might be used to returning certain things if you change your mind later, but that is unfortunately not the way things are done with cars. People suffering from buyer’s remorse often wonder if they are allowed to unwind the deal and take the car back. The answer is usually no, though there are some rare occasions where it might be possible.

Tennessee law is clear that there is no cooling-off period for car purchases. This three-day cooling-off rule is a federal law that is meant to protect consumers from high-pressure sales that occur door-to-door. It does not apply to cars.Once you sign the sales contract you own the car and any return will only take place under two circumstances: 1) the contract contains a clause that allows for such a return or 2) the dealer chooses to allow it. While dealers may decide it’s best to keep the customer happy, realize that the law is on their side, and they do not have to agree to a potentially costly unwinding absent fraud or other extraordinary circumstances.
https://www.tn.gov/commerce/news/2023/3/6/keep-scammers-out-of-the-driver-s-seat-when-buying-a-vehicle-with-a-tax-refund-.html and https://www.tn.gov/commerce/news/2016/4/27/tennessee-motor-vehicle-commission-offers-car-buying-tips.html
Unlike other transaction types, no right of rescission (or a “Cooling-off Period”) exists for vehicle sales transactions. When you drive the car off the lot, it is yours. Buyer beware! Take the time to have it inspected and read all paperwork closely before signing.
OP can look at https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/unwinding-the-deal-what-are-your-rights.html.

I may just live with it. It is the other halfs car. I would not have bought this car. for the price paid I could have bought another bolt with all of those features and more.

the dealer has a policy of a 10 day return. even though the law states no cooling off period.

I will discuss it with her. I watched many reviews of the s leaf, none of them mentioned that there was not any remote access to the vehicle.

the more and more I learn about this vehicle the more I wish I did not settle on it.

There are no bolts available in my area they are all presold. She needed a vehicle as the 10 year old trade in was costing about $3000 in repairs about every 3 months. only did one repair, and drew the line at another 3 grand to repair a few months later.

cwerdna said:
knightmb said:
Have never heard of this. What US states have a mandate that allows a customer to return a new vehicle for a full refund within 48 or 72 hours?
It was probably the federal law, but since you already did the research, it seems it doesn't apply to cars (anymore, not sure?). Back in the 1990s (last century now I guess :lol: ), I helped a friend get a full refund on a car they bought new that was missing a key feature on the window sticker. Not sure if it was dealer shenanigans or just a mistake at the factory, but I had looked up (dial-up Internet days) some TN laws for returning a vehicle purchase within 48 hours. The dealership manager agreed to take the vehicle back (I think it was a Toyota Camry) for a full refund and my friend shopped elsewhere for another vehicle that had everything she wanted.
So maybe I was wrong then and the dealership believed me or maybe laws have changed since last century, not sure. :?

From earlier digging, it seems like a possible way out is if there were fraud or misrepresentation.

But yeah, dealers can choose to provide refund/return policies but I've yet to a hear of a single US state w/it being mandated on new car purchases.

Re: Bolts, if you want one, you may have to expand your search area. Every now and then on Bolt FB groups I see announcements from dealers and a few random people that some dealer has one or a few in stock at MSRP.

after discussing with the other half, we have decided to keep the leaf. We discovered that we can keep the Air conditioning on indefinitely (until the battery runs out) and lock the car doors so that we can keep the dog in the car in the summer.

That is one of the main issues i had with not being able to remote turn on the vehicle.

We tested it for an hour at the house. battery dropped 3% after 1.5 hours running the AC.

I personally would not be receptive to keeping the car if it was for me. But then again I have a bolt and I am used to having these features.

I can totally see why the bolts are out of stock. With the base model bolt and all of the features and the lack of features in the leaf S and the leaf S being $2000.00 more than the bolt. It is not even competitive in price.

That is what I get when the other half has her mind set on something and I do not have time to do proper research. I researched my bolt for over a month before I pulled the trigger and ended up knowing more about it that the salesperson.

msav said:
after discussing with the other half, we have decided to keep the leaf. We discovered that we can keep the Air conditioning on indefinitely (until the battery runs out) and lock the car doors so that we can keep the dog in the car in the summer.

That is one of the main issues i had with not being able to remote turn on the vehicle.

We tested it for an hour at the house. battery dropped 3% after 1.5 hours running the AC.

I personally would not be receptive to keeping the car if it was for me. But then again I have a bolt and I am used to having these features.
As a fellow Leaf owner, I hate to see another victim of the "dealership" values of "tell them anything so they buy it". While the features of the S trim might be perfect for someone else, you wanted the remote capabilities and they do exist, but you got bamboozled by the dealership instead. Also, since you mentioned it, on a technical note. The Leaf will remain "on" until the battery is completely drained, so depending on the load, it could be hours or days. I know from personal experience using the Leaf as an emergency power source, it will easily stay on for days without any issues. ;)
I can totally see why the bolts are out of stock. With the base model bolt and all of the features and the lack of features in the leaf S and the leaf S being $2000.00 more than the bolt. It is not even competitive in price.
Yes it is a good deal because no more Bolts are being made after this year, Chevy has dropped them. While I may not be a Bolt owner, I do feel that less choices in the EV market is not a great thing right now. :(
That is what I get when the other half has her mind set on something and I do not have time to do proper research. I researched my bolt for over a month before I pulled the trigger and ended up knowing more about it that the salesperson.
To be fair, the other half had good intentions and the dealership exploited that. No need to pass blame around between you and the other half. Back in 2014, my parents almost made the same mistake when they were Leaf shopping. They only wanted make sure the Leaf they purchased had the QC port. The dealership almost had them sign on a 2014 (with no QC) before I rushed over to the dealership and stopped them literally minutes before they signed. The dealership was trying to unload those 2014 before the 2015 stock came in and told them it had QC. It only took me one minute to open that charge port and see "nope, no QC port" and rushed into that dealership to stop them. :lol: They eventually got a 2015 (with QC and some other bonus features the 2014 did not have) at another dealership. :cool:

Bolt is being brought back on the ultium battery platform sometime after the current model is discontinued after this year.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-suv-next-generation-production-news/

To be honest. I fully expected the leaf to be comparable to the Bolt. I did not even give it a thought that it would not have Remote capability. This was my fault. And it does not really matter what I wanted. I only wanted it cause the bolt has it standard, and felt for the price paid it should include it. I knew it had a smaller battery and I made sure before I even went there that it had at least a fast charge option, and that it would charge on my chargepoint L2 charger.

I could take it back, but after discussing with the other half she wants to keep it. After all she is paying the car payment.

msav said:
Bolt is being brought back on the ultium battery platform sometime after the current model is discontinued after this year.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-suv-next-generation-production-news/
All this time, my Bolt owner friends were crying how unfair it was. I had read the news articles about the the discontinued Bolt after this year but I had no idea that it was for a new generation of Bolts. :lol:
I'm actually glad and will be interesting what the new generation of Bolts look like, what specs they have, etc. :mrgreen:
To be honest. I fully expected the leaf to be comparable to the Bolt. I did not even give it a thought that it would not have Remote capability. This was my fault. And it does not really matter what I wanted. I only wanted it cause the bolt has it standard, and felt for the price paid it should include it. I knew it had a smaller battery and I made sure before I even went there that it had at least a fast charge option, and that it would charge on my chargepoint L2 charger.

I could take it back, but after discussing with the other half she wants to keep it. After all she is paying the car payment.
I've used both the Leaf and Bolt (I rent one while getting my Leaf repaired after an accident years back) and I feel each has it's unique quirks and strengths. This being a Leaf forum though, we all would show some bias to compare them, so I'll just leave it at that I respect the Bolt and the community that supports it.

Having said that, when it comes to the Leaf. Having the remote capability is nice but you might, as I did, realize you don't use them as much as you thought you would. Remote climate control for example. I liked being to able to Cool/Heat the Leaf before getting in but then if I forgot or don't use this feature, the AC/Heat system is so powerful it only takes literal seconds to make the cabin become comfortable again temperature wise. Basically, I quit using the feature as it was kind of saved maybe for only extreme circumstances if I remembered to do it. Being able to check the charge level of the Leaf, it is useful if charging at a QC station while getting a bite to eat or just sitting on the couch and wondering "do I need to plug in and charge before I leave" but after a while, again, my memory works well enough to know what it was last and wondering how far along for charging can be answered by just looking at the Leaf while charging since it has a simple 3 light charge status. My wife, she never uses the remote capabilities of her Leaf. I have no idea why because that was a deal breaker for her when she purchased years ago and after she got it, never uses it. Doesn't even know what her app login is. :lol:
I'm sure your other half or yourself might feel different and really need those remote capabilities for sanity reasons, so I understand that completely.

I am curious though, did you buy a brand new Leaf at full (negotiated of course) price from the dealer or was it a used Leaf? If you did buy new, was the dealer helpful in trying to give you a discount to negate the missing $7,500 rebate on new EVs?

Here is what the new Bolts will look like

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/next-chevy-bolt-ev-rendered-with-evolutionary-design-220251.html

I too used to use the remote features on my bolt. To be honest I stopped using it for the same reasons you mentioned.

The other half would probably be the same way if she did ever use it. so In hindsight it is a moot point. But I hate paying more for less.

The dealer did not do much for making up for the loss of the rebate. I think they marked them down $1500. but that was all.

But we were in a pinch with her last car not being drivable and requiring a large repair bill. They did give us $3000 trade in for it but I feel with the excellent interior condition it was in we should have got more. The leaf was a new 2023

Well, what you do have is maximum warranty then. This is a great forum to ask questions like "should it be doing this, is this suppose to work like this" and nitpick everything because warranty will fix it. AC not shooting snow out the vents when you switch it on, make the dealership do everything, might just need the refrigerant topped off. Heat should be super hot and fast during cold times, if the front wheels make any "popping" noises when you start or stop, they probably need the splines lubed (which was a service bulletin a while back, not sure if that affects the new 2023 models). A lot of things or stuff is non-essential yes to just driving from A to B, but you don't want to find out after 36K miles that something "annoying" could have been fixed for free. Another one I remember reading about was sometimes, the heating elements on the back to defrost the rear window might have an issue with the "bottom" trace not connected. Again, easy fix for dealership when it's free and just an annoyance for the driver, but heck, be picky about that stuff, it's brand spanking new. :lol:
Yes, the boring part, read the manual, most don't want to because it's a vehicle, you drive it, but the owners manual answers a lot of "repeat questions" we see on this forum from new owners. ;)

Back