So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
We all have been driving for decades in an ICE without suddenly slowing down with foot of the pedal.

An ICE car only marginally slows down, and EV slows down dramatically. If you can get the EV to slow down no more than ICE would that be alright to you? My son said he does not enjoy driving the Leaf mainly because he has to be constantly on the pedal to keep it going at a specific speed.
Those of us who've been driving sticks for decades are quite used to having variable, driver-selectable regen, from next to none to Whoa, Nellie! Many of the LEAF's competitors are offering this using paddle controls, and this seems to me the best way to go. Personally, I want something like the following regen options:

1. Virtually none (essentially like coasting in an O/D top gear). All regen on the brake pedal.
2. Slight (essentially like coasting in 4th gear, around a 1:1 ratio). Most regen on the brake pedal.
3. Moderate (3rd gear). Most regen on the accelerator pedal.
4. Strong (2nd or even 1st gear, to retard speed for steep descents). All regen on the accelerator pedal, brakes are friction only.

One of these choices should satisfy many people, and those of us who like to switch depending on circumstances are covered.

mkjayakumar said:
We all have been driving for decades in an ICE without suddenly slowing down with foot of the pedal.

An ICE car only marginally slows down, and EV slows down dramatically. If you can get the EV to slow down no more than ICE would that be alright to you? My son said he does not enjoy driving the Leaf mainly because he has to be constantly on the pedal to keep it going at a specific speed.
Not true at all. My ICE car slows more when backing off the gas than the LEAF does in regen. It is one reason I wish I had the B mode of newer LEAFs. Even ICE cars with automatic transmission use engine compression and downshifting when backing off the gas. It is in no way comparable to the neutral/coast suggested for the LEAF accelerator pedal. I would consider that a safety hazard.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
You're not missing much. B is the same as your Eco regen, with the acceleration of D.
That's not how it was initially described. If that's the case, it is disappointing. Having to use friction brakes to descend hills is a poor design. Nissan needs allow increased regen in the LEAF; I don't buy the idea that it would harm the battery since they already allow QC.

dgpcolorado said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
You're not missing much. B is the same as your Eco regen, with the acceleration of D.
That's not how it was initially described. If that's the case, it is disappointing. Having to use friction brakes to descend hills is a poor design. Nissan needs allow increased regen in the LEAF; I don't buy the idea that it would harm the battery since they already allow QC.

How was it initially described?

I've never had a software update on the '12, so it's regen is the same as when I first leased it, and it's regen is just as strong descending hills as the '15, no brakes needed. The '15 gives more regen sooner, nearer to 100%, than the '12.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
The assumption was that B mode was supposed to give additional regen versus Eco regen on the older models. If it isn't so, so be it. No, I've never seen, much less driven, a 2013 or newer LEAF.
I've never had a software update on the '12, so it's regen is the same as when I first leased it, and it's regen is just as strong descending hills as the '15, no brakes needed. The '15 gives more regen sooner, nearer to 100%, than the '12.
The LEAF regen has always been much too weak to keep my speed safe descending steep hills, up to 14% grade (I use second gear in my ICE car and it works fine). The difference post-P3227-update is that at cool battery temperatures (<13ºC) the regen is drastically reduced. At cold battery temperatures (<5ºC, IIRC) it is pretty much gone, regardless of SOC. [At very cold battery temperatures (~-10ºC) regen was greatly reduced or absent even before the software update.]

It does appear that newer LEAFs have more regen at high SOC levels, compared to the 2011/2012 models, which is useful. But is it too much to ask for 30-40 kW regen on the accelerator pedal at less than 80% SOC at 25 mph?

dgpcolorado said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
The assumption was that B mode was supposed to give additional regen versus Eco regen on the older models. If it isn't so, so be it. No, I've never seen, much less driven, a 2013 or newer LEAF.
The LEAF regen has always been much too weak to keep my speed safe descending steep hills, up to 14% grade (I use second gear in my ICE car and it works fine). The difference post-P3227-update is that at cool battery temperatures (<13ºC) the regen is drastically reduced. At cold battery temperatures (<5ºC, IIRC) it is pretty much gone, regardless of SOC. [At very cold battery temperatures (~-10ºC) regen was greatly reduced or absent even before the software update.]

It does appear that newer LEAFs have more regen at high SOC levels, compared to the 2011/2012 models, which is useful. But is it too much to ask for 30-40 kW regen on the accelerator pedal at less than 80% SOC at 25 mph?

regen is lesser in the 2013 (dont have B mode) I frequently will start with 4 regen circles available and be down to only 2 at the bottom of the hill all while "coasting" in drive. Pretty sure my 2011 did not do that at least before the update

billg said:
Slow1 said:
So now the question that comes to my mind - is this data a calculation anomaly or really an improvement. IF you adopt this practice and go from 4.5M/kwh to 5.6M/Kwh that is about a 24% increase. Keep it up for a full charge to known point (empty or whatever) and see if your range has increased by the same - i.e. if you get 50 miles going from 100% down to 50% @4.5M/kwh, I'd expect with this style (5.6M/kwh) to get 62 miles all other things being equal (which they never are...)... Have you observed this?
Haven't observed it yet. The only time I've taken the car to VLB was the second week I had it, and I went 104 miles with 7% SOC remaining. I wasn't closely monitoring the mi/kWh meter then, and hadn't reset it since delivery, but it was around 4.5 (+/- .2).

Right now, I have driven 46 miles @ 5.6 mi/kWh, SOC shows 57%, and the GOM shows 65 miles remaining. I will continue to drive on this charge, coasting in N where possible, and see how it holds up. It will likely take me the rest of the weekend, and there is a weather change which will affect the numbers positively. A "cold" front came through Dallas this morning, and it's unlikely I will be using the AC (or heat) for the remainder of the charge.

I wasn't able to finish my "coasting at every opportunity" test because someone came over to test drive my LEAF, and she drove it like she stole it, even though I was in the back seat! They did end up leasing one the next week, so I don't mind the sacrifice. :lol:

However, back on the original topic, I did make a 228 mile round trip to visit my brother and took fairly detailed notes on the various legs, which are summarized here. My conclusions (ignoring elevation change of net 23 feet) are that wind speed and direction affected my range the most, driving speed second, and A/C usage very little. YMMV.

Starting SOC : 100% or 80% - 100% always if possible
Range (till battery low) : Not sure never measured realiable
Range (till turtle) : Not sure never happened yet (only have L1 charging for now so I don't run it that low if I can help it)
Efficiency : miles/Kwh (from the dash, not carwings) 4.9 and rising
Driving : describe hwy/city/mixed/speeds here - mixed mode see below
Climate : Temperatures, use of climate control - god weather no need for climate control yet

I perform 2 kinds of driving. one job is pizza delivery so lots of low speed stop and go.

my first job is a 54 mile hike from pa to south jersey. but its relatively low speed average. small amounts of stop and go for the first 15 miles then pretty much steady state 50mph the rest of the time till arrival at destination (PSL is 50) I stay 2 days at this job so I drive to work plug in drive home plug in. I will have 220v at all 3 locations as soon as funding permits.

I have had the car 14 days and have put 1250 miles on it in that time. a bit low but I only have L1 charging right now so I can't really put many more miles per day on it without running into a charge rate wall. that will change once I get L2 charging.

I estimate the car has saved me roughly $285 over those 14 days in mileage.

my monthly payment is $341 the increased insurance premium is $89 so my monthly cost for the car is basically $430 a month. the car is free. as long as I get 3 years on that battery it is a free car.

I don't even count the power to charge it as a cost since 60% of it comes from work (both jobs) who do not charge me for it and the rest my solar panels take care of :) though purely for numbers sake I estimate it will consume about $800 a year in electricity (versus the $8700 a year I was spending in gasoline)

Heck if I get 3 years out of the battery this car will be cheaper still than my geo metro! (if I drive the metro exclusively it would consume $42,000 in gasoline in 10 years) the leaf with financing and a predicted 2 battery replacements is $36,000 over 10 years.

37,000 miles later and down one bar. I originally got about 75miles at 55 to 60 mph. I have a daily commute on flat freeway of 22 miles each way. Speed limit is 55 and usually drive 58 mph. I charge at home and not at work. I always charge to 100%. I always drive in power mode. Regen or Eco on the freeway is non existent so its no use to use it. Makes no difference in distance or amount used. Now that it is winter again I am unable to go to work and back unless I charge at work. Before it got cold I was averaging 54 to 58 miles. If I put on the heat even a little I loose my ability to make it home again. Now that its in the mid 50's here I can't even go 45 miles on a charge at 55 mph. This is unacceptable. I do not drive my car hard and I have never fast charged my vehicle even once. I originally figured that a 100 mile range car could still get me to work and back for more than 3 years.

I am going to do a full documented video of a daily drive with the heat on and at 55mph I will stop when the guess o meter is saying Ive gone half the pack. Then I will submit it to Nissan. I can't see my pack lasting the 8 years of the warranty without replacement at this rate. So once winter is over there will be no way even in warm weather to drive to work and back without charging. We have no place to charge at this time at work.

I love the car, hate the range and battery life.

Pete :)

PS. Im in Northern California just a bit up from Sacramento. Not cold and not hot.

There is no 8 year warranty unless the battery is defective. Loss of range is not considered a defect unless you lose 4 bars in 5 years or 60,000 miles. Whichever comes first.

electricvw said:
Now that its in the mid 50's here I can't even go 45 miles on a charge at 55 mph.
That loss of range seems to be quite a bit more than expected for 55 mph and 50F with only 1 bar down.

What's your efficiency?

After 45 miles at 55 mph you should have at least 10 miles of range left and possibly up to 15 miles of range left with 20% capacity loss.

When people on the Prius forum suddenly have a huge drop in MPG, it is usually little things. Sometimes one tire has super low pressure but the dealer reset the warning at too low a pressure so the TPMS light didn't come on. Sometimes they hit a curb a while back and threw off the alignment. Just a small difference in how the wheels point, can make a big difference in efficiency. With such a huge drop in range, I would almost expect it to be something simple than a total failure.

2k1Toaster said:
Just a small difference in how the wheels point, can make a big difference in efficiency. With such a huge drop in range, I would almost expect it to be something simple than a total failure.
My thoughts exactly - I'm guessing alignment, tire pressure and perhaps the tires themselves are not LRR.

yep, its a lot of little things. My work reimburses me mileage for work and that INCLUDES driving from my house to the office. So its a trip made over 100 times in the LEAFs I've driven and other than the change in seasons, the efficiency should be relatively the same during similar times of day and weather conditions right?

well, no. Traffic ALWAYS creates a variance but have a hard time believing its more than 10% (based on miles/kwh meter) on a day to day tracking of this trip. So is the sample size large enough? (22.7 miles one way) I already know that coming home is good for an average of .2 miles/kwh better performance including SEVERAL trips at 5.0 miles/kwh!

So even with temperatures (which affect tire pressures), road conditions, and route being similar there is still large variations. Now, coming home its useless to track efficiency due to traffic but my trips to the office generally happen before traffic is an issue but the variance remains. Not having cruise control means a large variance based on my inability to maintain a constant speed but then again, I settle into driving habits I consider to be rather consistent and that includes shifting to neutral during 3 distinct points on the commute (FYI; there is nearly an 8 mph difference between coasting speed from Summer to Winter!) but all this lends to my personal belief that I can drive more efficiently on my own than cruise control can do for me.

Now don't get me wrong. On the average I am seeing a .2 miles/kwh variance on most of the trips but still see a random 4.8 or 4.9 (average is 4.3-4.4) without any real explanation that I can see.

I hesitate to say this but I have done over 100 miles on a drive that was 90% freeway and basically made it because the return trip was done during heavy traffic and I was able to coast in neutral down the very gentle slope that runs from Federal Way to Tacoma so I kinda consider that to be cheating but then again, it does not mean I didn't do it, right?

Final note; We recently hit a cold snap when my tires went from 44 PSI to 39-40 PSI. now there were several factors but there is a point I shift to neutral on a hill going North and my normal goal in Summer is to hit the point at roughly 55 mph. I normally hit about 67 mph at the bottom. Well this time, I hit 59 MPH so not even close. I readjusted my tire pressures to 44 PSI and did the same thing the next day when temps were actually a few degrees colder (22 to 20º) and hit 62 MPH at the bottom. obviously different days means different everything so how much was attributable to tire pressures?

FYI; Another day (warmer at 26º) I hit the point at 62 MPH and ended about 64 MPH at the bottom. I think I am zeroing in on the "coastal break point" :lol:

drees said:
electricvw said:
Now that its in the mid 50's here I can't even go 45 miles on a charge at 55 mph.
That loss of range seems to be quite a bit more than expected for 55 mph and 50F with only 1 bar down.

What's your efficiency?

After 45 miles at 55 mph you should have at least 10 miles of range left and possibly up to 15 miles of range left with 20% capacity loss.

I agree that I should be having 10 miles left and even up to 15 even in the cold weather. My efficiency has always been 4.2 miles per KwH. I keep track of my tires inflation and there is no sign of misalignment. My drive is exactly the same road every day. I drive alone and the speed is on average 57 mph. I don't hypermile either. I just drive my car.

The loss of capacity can't be marked with the loss of bars. Its marked with the average you drive. If they figure capacity loss the way they figured how far you can go. Advertised 100 miles then the 30% capacity loss is going to be much more than that.

My range to work is 45 miles round trip. Flat and at 57mph. My tires are filled properly and no alignment issues. Maybe my exhaust is plugged. My efficient is still at 4.2 miles per KwH average. I can't even do the round trip anymore with the heat off. Im still showing only one bar down. My normal distance was around 75 miles when I first got the car. So with a 30% loss that would be 52.5 miles I should be able to drive. Nope. Sorry but it does not compute. It does still perform properly and no, eco mode is just bull. It does not increase your distance.

I don't creep along nor do I hot rod. I just drive. My other co-worker is no longer able to make her drive either after 3 years and 38,000 miles.

What is the value if you have to spend $5k every three years to replace the battery pack. I'd save more if I purchased a use VW TDI and just drive that all the time.

The cost to drive the leaf in our area is just over $5k if you drive the vehicle for 150,000 miles. If I can't even make it to 40,000 miles and then have to spend another $5k to replace the pack I'd say the car is not a value nor is it saving you any money. In fact it's going to cost you more.

The battery must be able to handle much more than what its giving and it must be cheaper to replace other wise the value is junk and the resale value is no better.

I know that driving a regular car can cost you a whopping $4k in fuel for 35,000 miles but if the gas is slightly better than the electric there truly is no incentive. Cleaning the air is great but there must also be a great incentive to do so.

Im all for electric cars and I love them. But this range issue is just going to have to be fixed for others to really jump on board. I have stopped recommending buying an electric car except for those that never venture out side of theirs towns.

Each person must plan on the use, distances and life of the pack even in the worst of conditions and plan ahead 4 years. If the car does not meet those expectations during that 4 years then the car is not worth buying.

My expectations were for at minimum of 5 years. That is what I expected after crunching the numbers and planning ahead. I did now however plan on the large cold weather hit for winter driving nor did I expect the initial distances to be far below the original 100mile range advertised. I did expect at least 80 miles my first year or two. I got 75, pretty much tops.

Also plan on all your calculations at 80% charge level and not the 100% charge level.

The Leaf and all other electric cars need to be calculated well into the future to see if it will still live up to your expectations.

Im getting ready to sell my Leaf to a local person and hope I get what I still owe on the vehicle. I did pay down the principal on the vehicle when I got my rebates.

Nissan will be getting my video. My range loss according to my calculations is far below 30%.

electricvw said:
I agree that I should be having 10 miles left and even up to 15 even in the cold weather. My efficiency has always been 4.2 miles per KwH. I keep track of my tires inflation and there is no sign of misalignment. My drive is exactly the same road every day. I drive alone and the speed is on average 57 mph. I don't hypermile either. I just drive my car.
So is your average for the 45 miles 57 mph, or is that your maximum cruising speed? Is the 4.2 mi/kWh in cold, mild or warm weather? Do you reset the meter daily to get that value? What are your cold tire inflation values? When you say you can only go 45 miles, how many bars and how many miles on the GOM are indicated? Do you have Leaf Spy or similar and can report SOC% and/or GIDs? Are you in D or ECO and what temp do you have the heat on?

Looking forward to seeing your video which will answer some of these questions. BTW - you really need to drive more than half the pack - you need to drive down to the first low battery warning or better - the second low battery warning to really know how much more range you have. You'll really know how much range you have if you can actually hit turtle.

drees said:
electricvw said:
So is your average for the 45 miles 57 mph, or is that your maximum cruising speed? Is the 4.2 mi/kWh in cold, mild or warm weather? Do you reset the meter daily to get that value? What are your cold tire inflation values? When you say you can only go 45 miles, how many bars and how many miles on the GOM are indicated? Do you have Leaf Spy or similar and can report SOC% and/or GIDs? Are you in D or ECO and what temp do you have the heat on?

Looking forward to seeing your video which will answer some of these questions. BTW - you really need to drive more than half the pack - you need to drive down to the first low battery warning or better - the second low battery warning to really know how much more range you have. You'll really know how much range you have if you can actually hit turtle.

The worst I got was 3.8 but on average I get 4.1 to 4.2 if I let the average go for a month or two. I let the car do the averaging because Im just not going to write down every little detail every day for every drive I take. I put the cruise control on and cruise at 57mph. I when I use the heat it depends upon how cold it is. I usually have it set for like 78 F. I have never noticed any difference in usable distance if I had the heat at 82 or 72. The car sucks power in heat and not so much with the air on. As for the tires I check them often and keep them at the factory spec.

I understand that wind and temps do make a difference but not much. But from what I have been reading my car should be doing better than it has been doing. Its not rocket science to drive my car and to care for a pretty much carefree car. It just goes. It has never been or had any issues. The car is wonderful. The Battery Life and Range Suck. That is my only issue.

I look forward to doing the video. Still figuring out my route for the test so I can do this without getting stuck and with being able to get well into the turtle mode. Yes, I have taken my car to where I'm told to find a charge station. Where live it would not be a good idea to get into turtle mode. Any little glitch or detour would leave me stranded. I planned this so I would not get stranded. I had one time I was told I need to detour and that left me sitting until I was allowed to go through without taking the detour. And that was when the range was good. The detour would have been a 20 mile detour. Impossible to do without charging.

If you have an electric you need a contingency plan in the case of detours on your normal route. It does happen.

No I don't have a Leaf Spy its for Android. Would it work on the Galaxy 5S? If so I can use my Wife's phone for the

Back