So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aug/2013
Gold 6896 4.4 miles/kWh

Sep/2013
Gold 6783 4.4 miles/kWh

Oct/2013
Gold 6419 4.3 miles/kWh

Nov/2013
Platinum 3739 4.4 miles/kWh

Dec/2013
Platinum 2210 4.5 miles/kWh

Jan/2014
Platinum 2309 4.5 miles/kWh

Feb/2014
Platinum 2152 4.6 miles/kWh

OrientExpress said:
but conditions were not plus you have traffic to deal with unless you are on a closed course.

I ran these tests at 5 am on a Saturday, so traffic was not an issue.

ok but you do realize that unless you can mitigate all factors, your statement carries very little weight right?

you do realize that I do agree with your conclusions but not your methodology. a single test has a huge error factor. do it 10 times

On Sunday May 4, 2014 I made a total of 97.1 miles on a single charge before stopping at Walgreens for an urgent charge. When the "estimated" range went from 9 miles to "---" I still needed 3 more miles to get to the closest EVSE. I was afraid I might get stucked but we both made it. I just needed a quick boost to get home, 8 miles away and wanted to be sure that I would get there.

BTW the driving was combined motorway and local roads and not city driving.

2013 Leaf SV.

Falco said:
On Sunday May 4, 2014 I made a total of 97.1 miles on a single charge before stopping at Walgreens for an urgent charge. When the "estimated" range went from 9 miles to "---" I still needed 3 more miles to get to the closest EVSE. I was afraid I might get stucked but we both made it. I just needed a quick boost to get home, 8 miles away and wanted to be sure that I would get there.

BTW the driving was combined motorway and local roads and not city driving.

2013 Leaf SV.
Too bad you didn't keep going. You probably could have made the 100 mile Club if you'd slowed down. I've made more than 10 mile from "---" to turtle in my 2011 (may be different in the 2013s and 2014s). http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7022&hilit=100+mile+club

Reddy said:
I've made more than 10 mile from "---" to turtle in my 2011 (may be different in the 2013s and 2014s). http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7022&hilit=100+mile+club

It is different...VERY different. They stopped with the "hidden reserve" nonsense in the 2013 model. Now when you're at --- you're back at where it was for the 2011 (and maybe some 2012?) pre-P1273 cars, with very little in the way of range left. And certainly not anything like 10 miles.

I agree. Gid meter tells me that '---' comes at the same value of 24 Gids. So you pretty much have the same range left.

Interestingly the LBW is also at 49 Gids and my 2011 would be at around 9 miles whereas the 2014 shows 16 miles. So I am concerned that folks who do not use Gid meters might get a sense of perception that 2014s have more range below LBW than 2011, which is not true.

I was getting about 85 miles per charge before. Now that I have done the latest software update. I now get 70 miles per charge. What gives with the new update? I like being able to have more options for charging at other public stations. But now Im not sure this car will work for me with the reduced range.

I forgot to reset the trip meter today when I recharged, but I got about 70mi out of it before the battery warning came on. So far, this has been my worst trip. I was in a bit of a time crunch today, so I was cruising down the freeway at 71MPH. My mi/kWh took a huge hit, from 5.6 to 4.9. Worried that I might not make it home, I dropped down to 52MPH, and eventually got back to 5.0.

Needless to say, the faster you drive, the worse your range.

Otherwise, my GOM indicates ~99mi, which seems reasonably accurate normally. I drive about 50 mi between charges, and it usually says somewhere around 60mi left. Yes, that's 110 total, not 100, assuming the GOM is accurate at that point.

There's no reason to think your mi/kWh gauge is accurate, then, is there? 5.6 mi/kWh translates to 120 mile range. Is that what you usually get?

4.9 mi/kWh is brilliant at 70mph, but still, suspiciously, works out at over 100 mile range.

I presume we're talking from full. So that looks like it is around the 4mi/kWh mark to me. That's still better that you should expect. Nothing to grumble at there.

Starting SOC : 100%
Efficiency : 4.7 m/kwh for the 1,600 miles that I have driven so far, As the car taught me how it likes to be driven it rose from 4.4 to 4.7 but has now stopped increasing
Driving : mix, live in mountains, have a steep drive up to my house at the end of trips so I try to end trips with plenty of charge. Dash says average speed is 28 mph
Climate : 70's and 80's during day and 40's at night, more likely to have windows down than use system, that will change this winter
I have not really pressed the range too hard yet, I rarely drive more than 80 miles in a day and have only seen the low warning once am lucky to live in an area with good distribution of plugs and not many ECs
2013 Leaf S with QC

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have been able to keep 5 m/kWh at 55 mph in flat terrain and 40psi,, but no chance at 70

speed is only one component in an extensive list of contributing factors that affect range... as for me? my experience pretty much reflects yours. I do 4.8-4.9 @ 55 mph

Put on 73 miles today, at least 50 of them on the highway at 65mph. LBW came on as I turned onto my road. One bar, flashing 6 when I got home. Could've made 80 miles easily. If I wasn't on the highway, could probably join the 100 mile club. Range is so much better in summer. And this car is 19 months old, 17,000 miles. All capacity bars still, but probably pack is down 10% at least.

Starting SOC : 100%
Range (till battery low) : 91 miles ( Usually shows 100-103 miles every morning )
Range (till turtle) : Did not test
Efficiency : 4.7miles/Kwh
Driving : I am doing about 60 city / 40 highway. Highway speeds at 55 miles /hour. Mostly stop and go traffic in the evening, morning is pretty much steady. Mostly driving in ECO mode on, when I want to feel the rush or some stupid driver trying to squeeze past me at 55 miles / hour.
Climate : Varies from 65-85. I use climate control over 78-80 as it becomes too warm and have a baby in the car. have driven 480 miles in 8 days.

I get a hit of about 5 miles with AC on and about 3 miles with cruise on. I genrally switch off the cruise.
I have another Diesel X5 as my family car, which has better electronics, but since I got this car, has started to sound much more loud :). Am thinking of doing a 500 mile trip on a weekend ( DC - NY ) and see if the car can handle it. Have lots of Fast chargers on the way, just need to convince the wifey.

Did a 300km round trip last weekend. Drove up on Friday and hit the new QC station at Nissan HQ near Toronto and gained 30 percent back in 12 minutes (we have no other QC in Ontario). Did the rest of the drive and by my calculation I figured I could get back fine without the QC. Way back was 149km with 135 on the highway. Hit rain that was heavy at times so speeds were anywhere from 90-100km/h. Did a 10km stretch on the highway at 40-80km/h (congested traffic). Did the running around in the city dropping people off and when I pulled into the driveway had 10 percent battery and showing 15km on the GOM. The LBW had sounded but not the UBLW. The car is a 2014 that has almost 9000km on it and is about 6 months old. It was fully loaded with camping stuff and 3 adults and 2 kids. I was pretty happy with the range on a trip where I expected to have to hit the QC to complete it both ways.

Yesterday drove to lowest charge on 2013. Drive was 89.3 miles. Morning commute was 60-63 mph (speedometer reading) with a couple slowdowns due to traffic. Was a late day so night commute was between 65-73 MPH (done on purpose due to the hour and wanting to see if LEAF could do it) with last 20 miles all at 70+ MPH. made it home with .7 Kwh.

its funny because up till now, I thought I would hit turtle when 1.3 Kwh was remaining and that did not happen so have to think there is something amiss here when a new pack has 22.7 kwh available. add the 1.3 for turtle and that is the whole 24 kwh pack...

ya, something not right and I suspect Nissan instrumentation to be the culprit

After 18 months in Los Angeles, only 3.3 mpk. For awhile we were at 3.4, but never better. The same conditions as when I first started checking: lots of hills and red lights, almost no freeway, slow and go always. Mostly my wife's miles: she commutes about 20 miles RT - she'll leave with 80+ on the milesometer, return with 40, and almost all the usage is on the way home, long gradual uphill in heavy street traffic in a city where timed signals and left-turn signals are, like, "whut is dat?" Today I went to Arcadia and back on the 2, 134 and 210 - about 35 miles RT; going with the traffic all the way, so 55-75mph, mostly 65 or so. Interesting to watch the miles move - start out with 84, by the time I've gone the long uphill on the 2 and hit the 134 it's down to 50, by the time I get to Arcadia it's back up to 80. Nice. The return drops it back down to 40-something. Drive from Silver Lake to Santa Monica and back periodically with no problem.

But every month the nice Leaf voice announces that our energy efficiency is bronze. I think that will be the best we can do in LA traffic and road conditions. Never let it drop below mid-20s without charging - and now it's fast because we got that 240 charger conversion that works terrific - 20+ miles per hour of charge. And no, I pay no attention to what the battery says - just go by the miles. Never a problem. Love the car.

DaveinOlyWA said:
its funny because up till now, I thought I would hit turtle when 1.3 Kwh was remaining and that did not happen so have to think there is something amiss here when a new pack has 22.7 kwh available. add the 1.3 for turtle and that is the whole 24 kwh pack...

ya, something not right and I suspect Nissan instrumentation to be the culprit

New battery, 70F degrees:

24.0kWh total – 100% SOC
22.48kWh stored- 93.7% SOC (21.3kWh usable)
4.0kWh stored - Low Battery Warning (50 GID * 80 wattHours ... about 3.1kWh usable)
2.0kWh stored - Very Low Battery Warning (25 GID * 80 wattHours... about 1.4kWh usable)
0.5 kWh unusable- 2.0% SOC (actually triggered by lowered cell-pair voltage, not stored energy)

Back