2nd LEAF in Colorado?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seeker

I just came back from a trip from National City, CA (San Diego), to finalize my LEAF purchase. It was loaded up Monday evening, and should arrive at home (Thornton, CO) tomorrow.

I was an original Tier 1 registrar that could just not wait any longer, and did not want to chance missing out on the CO tax intensive of almost $4k.

I was convinced that I'm the first one in Colorado with a LEAF, but just saw the post with the guy in Vail that got one in July. Buying a car cross state line is *HARD*, and it took a lot of endurance to go though with it. I still need to organize my charging station, and will just use the 'trickle' charge until that is settled.

Edit: I found out I'm the 4th LEAF in Colorado.

seeker said:
I just came back from a trip from National City, CA (San Diego), to finalize my LEAF purchase. It was loaded up Monday evening, and should arrive at home (Thornton, CO) tomorrow.

I was an original Tier 1 registrar that could just not wait any longer, and did not want to chance missing out on the CO tax intensive of almost $4k.

I was convinced that I'm the first one in Colorado with a LEAF, but just saw the post with the guy in Vail that got one in July. Buying a car cross state line is *HARD*, and it took a lot of endurance to go though with it. I still need to organize my charging station, and will just use the 'trickle' charge until that is settled.
It will be a great day when Nissan does not force those of us who are geographically challenged to jump through these hoops to buy a LEAF. I guess I could look for a orphan in Tennessee now, but I decided the west coast was more effort than I wanted to make, at this point. However, I may really be tempted when orphans start appearing in nearby Maryland, which will likely be about the same time I'll be allowed to place my order. By the time orphans appear next door in New Jersey (almost a no brainer), I'll have ordered my car and will be within a month or two of delivery. I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel (likely April or May delivery), no incentives are running out for me, so I may just sit tight and follow Nissan's schedule, crazy as it may be.

Nissan's reservation process is likely way too much hassle for the average car buyer, even when they are already in an area where the LEAF is available; they're used to being able to walk in and buy a car off the lot the same day. Congratulations for having the persistance to jump through all the hoops Nissan put in front of you and enjoy your LEAF.

Actually I did not buy an orphan LEAF, I actually used my real reservation: and it worked! I'm still pinching myself, but all you have to do to be able to order *right now* if you already have registered before May 2011 is to *change your address* in your Nissan profile to *any* address in a supported area, and select a dealer you like to work with: done. You can normally order your LEAF, you will just have to deal with the out of state processing, which *is* a great pain, but if you have a good dealer he will work with you...

I have had my Leaf in Englewood, CO since August. Sorry, you are third.

I hope you got the cold weather package.

seeker said:
Actually I did not buy an orphan LEAF, I actually used my real reservation: and it worked! I'm still pinching myself, but all you have to do to be able to order *right now* if you already have registered before May 2011 is to *change your address* in your Nissan profile to *any* address in a supported area, and select a dealer you like to work with: done. You can normally order your LEAF, you will just have to deal with the out of state processing, which *is* a great pain, but if you have a good dealer he will work with you...
Someone has said that reservations are "hard locked" to the state of the billing address of the credit card used to make the reservation. Their assertion was that the profile address didn't matter, and that once the registration was made, the state was locked in and it didn't matter even if the bank updated your billing address... Was your credit card billing address from a tier 1 state at the time you made the reservation? If, OTOH, you've indeed found some previously unknown loophole in the Nissan reservation system, PM me immediately with details of how you did it so I too can order my LEAF right away. You should probably prepare yourself for what amateur radio operators call a pile-up. :)

reeler said:
I have had my Leaf in Englewood, CO since August. Sorry, you are third.

I hope you got the cold weather package.

Congratulations, did you get yours as 'orphan'? I did not get the cold weather package, I got a 2011, black; and we have to do a meetup for sure. I'm working on getting temp plates right now...

tps said:
Someone has said that reservations are "hard locked" to the state of the billing address of the credit card used to make the reservation. Their assertion was that the profile address didn't matter, and that once the registration was made, the state was locked in and it didn't matter even if the bank updated your billing address... Was your credit card billing address from a tier 1 state at the time you made the reservation? If, OTOH, you've indeed found some previously unknown loophole in the Nissan reservation system, PM me immediately with details of how you did it so I too can order my LEAF right away. You should probably prepare yourself for what amateur radio operators call a pile-up. :)

Reservations are *not* locked to the billing address state for sure. I called Nissan and asked them flat out: what do I need to do to order a car, they replied with: 'you need a tier 1 address', I said: 'any address will do?', they said: 'yes, any address, and select a tier 1 dealer as well'. So I did, and within 24 hours I got a call from the dealer that I can order my LEAF. That was in May. Then you will need to work with your bank and the out-of-state dealer to see if you need to travel there to complete the sale or not, and you need to organize your own transportation, etc...

I just re-registered using my parents' address in Oregon; in Tier 1 states anyone can register and then order right away, no waiting.

I'll make it a family visit when I pick up the car. Since no Western Slope Nissan dealers will be "Leaf Certified", so far as I am aware, I would have to tow it home over the mountains even if I bought one from a Denver dealer a year from now.

The downside of importing a Leaf from out of state is that it means a long tow for service. At least you Front Range folks should have dealers nearby for service issues by this time next year.

For now, I am shopping for a used tow dolly. I'm going to need it!

Nissan's "Drive Electric Tour" comes to Broomfield September 23-25. I'm signed up for 10 AM on the 23rd. It will be the first time I've ever seen a Leaf.

seeker said:
Congratulations, did you get yours as 'orphan'? I did not get the cold weather package, I got a 2011, black; and we have to do a meetup for sure. I'm working on getting temp plates right now...

I was living part-time in San Diego and ordered with my address there. I have a Blue 2011.

dgpcolorado, who did you use as electrician? I still have to do my EVSE installation. I'm not 100% sure which EVSE I'm going to use.

BTW, I don't know about you other guys in CO, but I have been in contact with Doty, John B. from the DOR about the CO tax rebate, and we have new numbers:
The incremental price difference (IPD) for the Nissan leaf is $12,250
, which is higher then they originally posted, so the tax credit should be turning out to be:
$12,250.00(IPD) - $7,500(FTC) = 4,750

$4,750 x 0.85 = $4,038

Your tax credit is $4,038.00

Just FYI

seeker said:
dgpcolorado, who did you use as electrician? I still have to do my EVSE installation. I'm not 100% sure which EVSE I'm going to use.
I thought about calling electricians but I followed the suggestion of DaveinOlyWA and installed an L6-20 outlet and refurb utility meter as a DIY project (for use with Phil's EVSE upgrade, probably sitting on my doorstep as I type, since UPS delivery was today). My cost for materials, including cost and shipping for the meter, was about $110. [I had considered using the electrician that does solar installations in my area but never got as far as a quote.]

Dave's original:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/blog.php?u=291&b=92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My installation (I don't have the outlet cover on yet):
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6923/l620outletandmeter0282c.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The meter is at eye level. I can't test the meter yet (don't have a load with that plug) but the outlet works fine: 120V from each hot to ground and 240V from hot to hot, just like in the books.

[Edit 9-16-11: the EVSE Upgrade arrived yesterday and works fine with my outlet: ready light on, no error codes. The idle draw of about 1 watt even caused the meter wheel to turn a bit when I checked after five minutes or so.]

I had the advantage that my electrical panel was conveniently located inside my garage, so all it took was a double pole 20A breaker, two feet of conduit, wire, and fittings. I plan to route the cord along the ceiling with bicycle hooks or something similar, so I can keep it off the floor and out of the way. That was simpler than trying to install a long conduit to get it close to the front end of where I plan to park the Leaf. I used 10 AWG wire so I could upgrade to a 30A EVSE someday, but it was a nuisance to work with. If I had to do it over I'd just go with 12 AWG wire. And, no, I had never done anything like this before and was very, very careful that my electric panel was off before I started playing around with it.

If you PM me with an e-mail address, I can send you more pictures of the setup. Someone elsewhere was dismayed at the "EVSE upgrade" homebrew installations; he thought they were unsafe around children. Something to consider if one has kids or grandkids around. One doesn't want them unplugging a 240 V plug and a locking outlet cover would probably be in order...

dgpcolorado said:
...Someone elsewhere was dismayed at the "EVSE upgrade" homebrew installations; he thought they were unsafe around children. Something to consider if one has kids or grandkids around. One doesn't want them unplugging a 240 V plug and a locking outlet cover would probably be in order...
What homebrew instructions? Are they talking about evseupgrade.com? I wouldn't really classify that as homebrew, you end up with a tested, sealed unit modded by a professional. Your install looks no less safe than the professional install done for my Blink...in fact, the locking receptacle and plug might even be a little bit safer than the non-locking NEMA 6-50 the Blink uses.

Seeker, you may be even further down the list than you thought. Picked up blue SL in Texas, Aug 19. It's now home in Elbert. I just wish there was a charge station within range so I could go somewhere. It makes work and back OK, sometimes to the Springs is OK but thats about it. I think a meet up in CO. would be great if there is some place we can all get to. Maybe you guys know more about charge station locations than I do. EVSE - think I am going to go with the Schneider from HD, price is pretty good and it looks good, self install will be easy.

Blue SL no cold weather either

lektrik said:
Seeker, you may be even further down the list than you thought. Picked up blue SL in Texas, Aug 19. It's now home in Elbert. I just wish there was a charge station within range so I could go somewhere. It makes work and back OK, sometimes to the Springs is OK but thats about it. I think a meet up in CO. would be great if there is some place we can all get to. Maybe you guys know more about charge station locations than I do. EVSE - think I am going to go with the Schneider from HD, price is pretty good and it looks good, self install will be easy.

Blue SL no cold weather either

Congrats, I guess I'm 4th then :)... Can you give me an electrician or the model number and where you bought your EVSE? I drove it the first time yesterday, but I only got about 65mi out of it, with only 4mi left at the end. How far can I go once it hits 0mi? I was driving a bit of highway, so I guess I have to expect way less than 100mi, but 65mi was a bit low...

Look Home Depot website for EV charging station #85212, it's the Schneider # EV2430WS, price $729, we regularly get $50 off coupons from HD in the mail so it made it reasonable. You have to catch the site when it doesn't say out of stock to order but they are telling me they should have them within a couple of weeks and the free shipping saves a little. I will mount about 2 ft from panel in garage using an old circuit for a welder so hookup is going to be very easy. My range experience was about like yours on first charge, you have to learn to coast and regen and brake less than an ICE, driving less than 60 helps. I've learned I don't really like ECO mode but now am getting about 85 miles per charge and getting home with 2 to 4 bars, averaging about 7miles per bar. Leaf doesn't like climbing hills, we drop about 1200 ft going to work and have to climb it back in the afternoon so it makes the mileage readout really vary. If you showed 4 mi. left how may bars? Worse day we have had was yesterday, got home with 7 mi. left and 1 bar but left home in the morning at 36 degrees and raining. I still suffer from range anxiety so haven't been to 0mi. yet.

davewill said:
dgpcolorado said:
...Someone elsewhere was dismayed at the "EVSE upgrade" homebrew installations; he thought they were unsafe around children. Something to consider if one has kids or grandkids around. One doesn't want them unplugging a 240 V plug and a locking outlet cover would probably be in order...
What homebrew instructions? Are they talking about evseupgrade.com? I wouldn't really classify that as homebrew, you end up with a tested, sealed unit modded by a professional. Your install looks no less safe than the professional install done for my Blink...in fact, the locking receptacle and plug might even be a little bit safer than the non-locking NEMA 6-50 the Blink uses.
I think they were talking about the exposed plug for EVSE Upgrade (or any portable EVSE, I suppose). A unit hardwired to the wall would likely be safer around kids. I don't have kids so it never crossed my mind.

For anyone who is concerned, Home Depot has a "Red Dot Universal Metal Weatherproof Outlet Cover", UPC 042269004689, that can be used outdoors and is lockable. The outlet would need to be mounted vertically, as opposed to my horizontal installation.

seeker said:
BTW, I don't know about you other guys in CO, but I have been in contact with Doty, John B. from the DOR about the CO tax rebate, and we have new numbers:
The incremental price difference (IPD) for the Nissan leaf is $12,250
, which is higher then they originally posted, so the tax credit should be turning out to be:
$12,250.00(IPD) - $7,500(FTC) = 4,750

$4,750 x 0.85 = $4,038

Your tax credit is $4,038.00

Just FYI
Is that for a 2011 Leaf? Any idea if the higher price for a 2012 model would increase the credit?

Back