2nd LEAF in Colorado?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lektrik said:
I will turn my EVSE into a portable and take it to an RV park so I can have 240 volts, 8 hrs at 120v. would make the trip just too long.

I have a L2 charger at my house in the Tech Center and one at my office in downtown Denver that you can use to go to the event. PM me if you want details. I will try to make the event with my Leaf.

Where is the L2 at your office? A downtown L2 would be quite useful. Is it private or public?

Nate

Well, my order is now placed with Empire Lakewood Nissan! I can't wait but I'm going to have to as I got an email from Nissan saying 3-4 months. Oh well, what's a few more.

dgp-
Registration in El Paso Co. cost me about $670 including filing fee, all counties are slightly different and if you buy out of state you get to pay the Colorado sales tax too.

I am ready to "Request a Quote" to the only dealer showing up in my list "GO Nissan Arapahoe".
Any Ideas whether it is better to buy an SL or get SV and Add Quick Charge Port later?
Because SL is costlier by about $2050, does it get you better Colorado refund?
Any Idea on what a good quote for SL or SV is?

lektrik said:
dgp-
Registration in El Paso Co. cost me about $670 including filing fee, all counties are slightly different and if you buy out of state you get to pay the Colorado sales tax too.
Thanks for the info. I'm aware that I pay the state sales tax at registration since it wouldn't have been collected at the sale. But my county clerk staffer could only give me an estimate as to the registration fee for a new LEAF (and he was pretty close: "$500 to $700").

My last new car was a 1986 (for $8600), so paying new car registration fees for the next few years will be a significant expense I need to budget for. The LEAF is a very, very expensive toy by my usual standards of thrift!

montoo said:
I am ready to "Request a Quote" to the only dealer showing up in my list "GO Nissan Arapahoe".
If you only have one dealer showing up on your list, did you change the miles for the search? IIRC it goes up to 200 miles and that should list a whole lot of dealers.
Probably not. The DOR document that lists IPD for various cars does not have any variations for different trim levels of a given model and year, so my guess is that the answer is "no".
The best I've heard of from a Colorado dealer is MSRP + D & D, with no extraneous "dealer fee" add-ons. In other states you can do a lot better than that.

Has anyone found any Colorado dealers willing to "deal" yet? The owner of my nearest dealer is so adamant about MSRP he is willing to lose a sale rather than go lower. I found this odd since I seriously doubt he is selling his LEAF quota here.

I did find one place that was willing to go a little below MSRP in Longmont. Give them a try. But I already had an order in at Boulder, and that's closer to home, so it wasn't worth the small difference.

What is killing me is the $800/yr reg fee i'll have to pay. sigh. the beater 96 Ford Probe I'm replacing cost me all of $50/yr.

Wish we could talk Colorado into calculating the fee based on the MSRP-tax rebates!

Anyone have anything further on what Colorado will rebate for the 2012 model? Last I saw, they weren't giving any info out yet.

nater said:
Where is the L2 at your office? A downtown L2 would be quite useful. Is it private or public?

It is publically accessible, but the building is charging me personally for the electricity. I think they want the illusion of having a charger available for their LEED certification, but I had to buy the charger and pay for the electricity costs. They are thinking of picking up the electricity in a few months and if they do, I will let folks know where they can get a charge downtown.

I bought mine (orphan) from a dealer in Texas straight MSRP period no extra cost, seemed to be what everyone there I talked to was doing except a couple in Dallas that were over MSRP even on orders, did hear of one dealer around Houston who was below MSRP by $500.

dgpcolorado said:
montoo said:
If you only have one dealer showing up on your list, did you change the miles for the search? IIRC it goes up to 200 miles and that should list a whole lot of dealers.
Probably not. The DOR document that lists IPD for various cars does not have any variations for different trim levels of a given model and year, so my guess is that the answer is "no".
The best I've heard of from a Colorado dealer is MSRP + D & D, with no extraneous "dealer fee" add-ons. In other states you can do a lot better than that.

Has anyone found any Colorado dealers willing to "deal" yet? The owner of my nearest dealer is so adamant about MSRP he is willing to lose a sale rather than go lower. I found this odd since I seriously doubt he is selling his LEAF quota here.

I talked to Arapahoe Nissan and they quoted MSRP + $850 Destination + Dealer's processing Fee. Looks like there aren't many options in colorado. Talked to Nissan Leaf Rep and she suggested transferring my order to Arizona and getting the Leaf sooner. Not sure how out of state purchase would work. I am confused.

The only difference in an out of state purchase is how you handle the sales tax because you have to pay Colorado sales tax even you buy out of state. Credit union that I financed thru handled the sales tax for the dealer, didn't have a problem. I never ran across a restriction of where to pick a dealer, I even requested quotes from Tennessee just to see what the differences would be. It just seems you have to initiate all the contacts yourself and not depend upon Nissan. Kind of wish I waited for the 2012 for the heated seats and battery but I think I am going to be happy enough with the 2011.

I used an San Diego dealer, as people know on this thread, before CO opened for ordering. I paid $730 for shipping it here. Bellco helped me with the taxes, so that I did not have to pay CA taxes and then get them refunded (as the CA dealer first suggested), so I just paid regular CO taxes.

montoo said:
I talked to Arapahoe Nissan and they quoted MSRP + $850 Destination + Dealer's processing Fee. Looks like there aren't many options in colorado. Talked to Nissan Leaf Rep and she suggested transferring my order to Arizona and getting the Leaf sooner. Not sure how out of state purchase would work. I am confused.
In my case I just created a new Nissan account using a family address in Oregon. To use your Colorado account with an out-of-state order (beyond 200 miles), I think you might have to call the phone number and get your chosen dealer added to your account. (If you buy an orphan, none of this matters, but I sure haven't seen any orphans below MSRP.)

Some things to keep in mind if ordering out-of-state:

• You will need to have the car shipped or tow it home, and that can be expensive.

• You must make sure that you don't pay sales tax in the state you are buying the car because it is almost always higher than the 2.9% Colorado sales tax. (That is an advantage of Oregon: no sales tax at all and fairly minor titling fees.)

• If you can close on a deal by December 31st you will get 85% of the IPD ("Incremental Price Difference") as a state tax credit versus 75% beginning January 1st. However, it isn't known for certain what the IPD will be for the 2012 model year Leaf. (If you can't use the federal tax credit, the state tax credit will max out at $6000 and this issue will be moot.) If you lease, you forfeit some of the state tax credit. [At this point it isn't likely that you can order a LEAF and get it before the end of the year but this would apply if you bought an orphan.]

• If you buy from an out-of-state dealer you will not be have a working relationship with your local dealer for service issues. That's less of an issue for those of you along the Front Range because you have so many dealers to chose from. I have just one and it is barely within LEAF range with an interim charge.

I finally ordered my Leaf. I wish it can come before Jan 2012. Is it possible to complete the sale before Jan 2012 to avail of the Federal and State Tax incentives, even if the delivery will be later?

montoo said:
I finally ordered my Leaf. I wish it can come before Jan 2012. Is it possible to complete the sale before Jan 2012 to avail of the Federal and State Tax incentives, even if the delivery will be later?
It seems unlikely that your ordered LEAF will arrive by the end of the year, although there is a chance Nissan will accelerate the delivery schedule a bit.

You might ask your dealer if you can prepay for the car, although I'm not sure that would qualify for the tax credits (that's a question for a tax accountant, don't assume it to be true until you check).

If the answer is negative and you really want the car before the end of the year your only option would seem to be to purchase an orphan from out-of-state.

Back