Charging at work. Yay or Nay?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfsnow

Did anyone successfully convince your employer to let you plug-in your car at work?
Either regular 120V trickle or they were nice enough to install the L2 EVSE.

I was trying to convince my workplace since last year, they were try to kinda brush it off.
Recently, since I "think" my car "maybe" coming soon, so I push and ask more frequent.
Here is a list of reasons or "excuses" they told me so far:
1. "If they let me do it, they have to do it for everyone"
2. "What are the incentive?"
3. "There are liability issues."

I told them they don't need to install anything for me since there is a spot very close to a 120V 20A plug, and I told them I can pay for my usage, or I can pay them a "convenience fee".

Please let us know and share your story, if any one being successful in convincing your employer to let you charge at work.

Nay.... had 120 charging at old location but have relocated to new building on opposite side of town. I needed it on my Zenn don't need it for Leaf so not pushing it although I should in case someone else does

surfsnow said:
Did anyone successfully convince your employer to let you plug-in your car at work?
Here's how my conversation went:

Me: "Hey can I plug the new car I'm getting into one of the power outlets on the building?"
Boss: "How much will it cost me?"
Me: "About 6 kWh at $0.08 per kWh or about $0.50 per day."
Boss: "That's cheaper than most things around here, go for it!"
Me: "Thanks boss, you're awesome!"
Boss: "I know."

Since having that conversation a few months ago, I decided that I don't really need to plug in very often, if at all, so I primarily do so to show people how it works. If it ever became an issue, I would just contribute $15 or so a month into the office pizza fund and that would definitely keep everyone happy.

I work freelance in the film industry so my jobs generally last about 6-9 months at a time. On my most recent job for DreamWorks I made it a part of my deal that they provide me with at least a parking spot with 110V charging. They said it would be no problem, and have tentatively assigned me a spot where some of the electric golf carts charge. We are working on the Universal lot though, and Universal facilities is putting in 220V EVSEs so once those are available DW would likely transition me to those. Of course it's all sort of moot at this point since I will be on another show out of town before my estimated delivery of the LEAF. Oh well, next time!

Even if you aren't freelance, you may have some luck in negotiating EV charging as a part of your contract when you start a job or renew the contract.

My workplace is ^&@$#&% ridiculous, so much politics and bureaucracies sh!t going on.
I talked to facilities, they asked me to ask HR, HR asked me to ask accounting, I was like what on earth I have to get accounting involved for this kind of stuff.... it is just unreal...

I will try maybe 1-2 times and see how the range goes, my daily round trip is around 68 miles from Google Map's estimate. There is a long stretch of uphill, like 3 miles, on my way to work... so... still not sure...
for sure ECO ON and no A/C

My "Plan B" is to park the car at the Nissan dealership like 2.3 miles away, and bike to work. (I have a fold-able bike... hehe :D )
The problem for that is, don't know the charging policy of that dealership.

surfsnow said:
My workplace is ^&@$#&% ridiculous, so much politics and bureaucracies sh!t going on.
I talked to facilities, they asked me to ask HR, HR asked me to ask accounting, I was like what on earth I have to get accounting involved for this kind of stuff.... it is just unreal...
It's time to pull out that old chestnut, "Mom said it was OK". In your case it's, "Facilities and HR approved, so if you can make arrangements to get my EVSE installed, that would be great!"
surfsnow said:
My "Plan B" is to park the car at the Nissan dealership like 2.3 miles away, and bike to work. (I have a fold-able bike... hehe :D )
The problem for that is, don't know the charging policy of that dealership.
The charging policy is one thing, you need to be concerned with the parking policy. You may have plan on moving your car midday.

P.S. bringing people doughnuts can do wonders in both situations.

a big 'yay' - any 110v outlet I can get my hands on (that doesn't trip a breaker) plus they're in the process of getting chargers installed (I'm betting a dozen or so by the time all is said and done) - they've even sent out surveys for who has/is getting cars and are working to structure convenient spaces for employees with EVs.

(Historically, they've also supported EVs and charging for many, many years).

@davewill:
Good idea! I will get them some doughnuts and coffee! hahaha It might work for the dealership, but certainly not for those at work, been there, done that... unfortunately.

For the dealership, this is what I estimated:
Let's say I only have 40% left from home-->Dealership/work, I will leave the car there for 3-4 hrs, and move the car back to work around lunch time. With L2 charging, I should have enough juice to go home.... humm.... :?:

I've noticed that I don't notice any employers listed in these posts.

Well friends and neighbors that's gonna change right here and now.

I work at Sacramento International Airport. I asked the question. I even said a 120V outlet would be fine. Their response was not a no. They said that they will need to develop apolicy so that as others here get EV's, they to can be accomodated. That's reasonable. And I can respect that approach. But, I went a step further. I mentioned to them that in the greater Sacramento area there are quite a few current/future EV owners. Many of whom would love to be able to make their trips to the airport sans gasoline. I am hoping that they will see the multiple benefits of providing QC's out here. Green, P.R., etc. SMUD installed a number of paddle and avcon chargers in the parking garage. They are supposedly working on upgrading or whatever to get J1772 types out here. Things could get pretty cool out here soon. (crosses fingers)

The engineer at my work's building is the guy who has the approval and it just so happens that I have "known" this guy since I started working here 5 years ago. He's the guy that you see all over the building but you never know quite what he does. We don't know each other by name but for no particular reason, over the years I've always been nice to the guy and made small talk about the Lakers/Dodgers, weather, cars, etc... When I inquired at the lobby reception who I should speak to about plugging in she told me to see Victor in the basement office. I go down to the office and discover Victor is my "buddy" the building engineer. I now have one of the few spots in the garage that has an A/C outlet in the wall reserved for me to park and charge as much as I want. Karma, it's not always a bitch.

I'm attempting to get my wife to get a plug in at her work. We would use the modified charger that comes with the LEAF, so we only need 110v or 220v service.

I think I'll put something together that shows how cheap it is, and offer the pizza fund donation.

My CEO has not only offered to install a charger, he is actively encouraging me to order Leaf when my reservation flips to order status.

My work was a bit sluggish to respond. Our garage has tons of 110V, but I wanted permission before using. Finally, they said I could plug in in an "emergency or as-needed basis." I will take the "as-needed" to mean daily top-offs. :D I have a 50 mile round-trip commute, so I am not sure how much I will need to charge, but it might add some peace of mind.

I work at a pretty forward-thinking Seattle life sciences nonprofit, so I was surprised at their lack of enthusiasm. Initially, I had offered to monitor usage and reimburse at the prevailing commercial rate or pay a convenience fee.

The good news though is 1) I get to charge; and 2) EVSE's will be figured into any future parking planning and/or expansion.

My employer is a big Yay!! I only have a 10mi RT, but they are talking about putting in 2 for demonstration purposes. The bosses are as anxious as I am to get my car. As an energy provider it is good for PR.

@ uwskier20:

I work for biotech/life science industry also, at least they kind of let you charge your car.
My employer, straight out no!
:(

my employer, also a non-profit, is considering it and we are interviewing venders.
This, is of course, a large bureaucratic process.
Unclear if they will go ahead. I am encouraging plug-in of 110 volt as fall back and/or supplement, if we get a bunch of EVs.

surfsnow said:
@ uwskier20:

I work for biotech/life science industry also, at least they kind of let you charge your car.
My employer, straight out no!
:(

That's a bummer. I think part of the problem in my case is that they had to run it by facilities engineering, and the engineering guys are culturally different from us scientific staff - clearly less progressive, and probably think I am nuts for buying an EV in the first place (just like my dad, who is an engineer himself and should know better, but lets his politics get in the way :twisted: ).

Luckily, somewhere in the bureaucracy, a cooler head must have prevailed. It took us almost two months though to finally pry an answer from them. I wanted definite permission because this isn't like just plugging in my cell phone for a recharge at my desk. ;)

Yay. We already have wired 120V/240V outlets in the parking lot. We are only waiting for the Leviton 160s to become available. No convincing or arm twisting was needed.

Back