Charging at work. Yay or Nay?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay here too. Fortunately there was a 208v outlet near the rear entrance in our building (and parking close to that) and they punched an outlet through the wall and put a locking cover on it. So I have to use my own portable EVSE, but thanks to Phil (see the EVSE forum) I am able to charge at close to L2.
-Corwin

Our facilities guy just let me know they have cut a Purchase Order for two Level 2 charges in our parking garage. That means they should be installed within 30 days. There were 3 old EV charging stations left over from the 1990's that are being updated. That helped me convince our company to upgrade to the newer version.

I also had permission for using the 110v outlets in the garage to trickle charge, but the fact there are three spaces reserved for EV's is pretty sweet.

My employer said yay. I calculated how much it would cost me to trickle charge for eight hours a day, every working day of the year and offered to pre-pay my employer that amount. When he heard the explanation and how much it would be, he just chuckled, thanked me for the offer and said I could charge all I wanted and not to worry about the money. He's asked me about the car about once a week now since that conversation last year.

He was the supervisor but I lobbied the corporate office as well. They have this program to encourage alternative modes of transporation so if you ride the bus, walk, ride a bike or motorcycle, or carpool at least 4 days a week and submit the proper form once a month, you get $75.00, each month! Well, I petitioned them to add EV's to the list and after a few months of sending the HR manager information and reminders, and getting the board's approval, they added EV's to the list!

Now I just need the car!

Red SL + QC, Res. 4/20/10, Ord. 9/13/10, L2 not yet, Del. wk. of 4/22/11

Hello,
Not sure, PCC is on the list of Ecotality sites and I was told once that we will be getting at least one L2 per campus. This is a gov operation just like Ecotality so it may be a while. My commute is only 20 miles round trip so I would only need it to extend range over lunch or to preheat in the dead of winter.

Yay, for me.

It helps working for the Air Quality Management District. We have a transit subsidy written into our contract, so we get transit passes, assistance with carpools, and even a subsidy if you ride a bike. The clause guaranteeing electric vehicle commuters a parking space and access to a charging dock has been waiting over a decade for someone to utilize this benefit. I am the first.

Yay!

One of the reasons we got into EV's in the first place is my wife and I both work for SoCal Edison. They had free Avcon chargers when we had our Think City (2002-04, RIP) and how have four J-1772's at the HQ where we work, plus another eight at the Irwindale facility where I go a few times a month for meetings. These are all ChargePoint stations, listed on ChargePoint's site, and available to the public. I've been sharing the four HQ chargers with three Volts for the past 2 weeks.

My understanding is that SCE will soon set a fee for these, but they are free for now :) If/when the fee exceeds my off-peak rate at home, I'll move most of my charging to the garage as our commute doesn't require a daily recharge.

Well, 'they' were actively researching it, and finally came to this conclusion recently:

"We are not installing any stations even if incentives are made available to do so"

"Various logistical and management concern has been raised about the installation of these stations so at this time we are not moving forward with any installations"

Yes, word from the very folks who are heading up the green program...so much for the company's green initiative. Meanwhile, every other company in the area (Nintendo, Microsoft, etc.) are putting them in.

Oh and all that 120VAC in the parking garage? Its off limits.

rainnw said:
Well, 'they' were actively researching it, and finally came to this conclusion recently:

"We are not installing any stations even if incentives are made available to do so"

"Various logistical and management concern has been raised about the installation of these stations so at this time we are not moving forward with any installations"

Yes, word from the very folks who are heading up the green program...so much for the company's green initiative. Meanwhile, every other company in the area (Nintendo, Microsoft, etc.) are putting them in.

Oh and all that 120VAC in the parking garage? Its off limits.

Politely tell them to stop polluting your air. You know, because they are the folks heading up the green program. If they refuse, ask them why.

Rouse the rabble!

I finally got my employer to supply charging facilities for my EV!!!!

IMAG0133-1.jpg

:D :D :D

davewill said:
I finally got my employer to supply charging facilities for my EV!!!!

IMAG0133-1.jpg

:D :D :D
Looks a lot like my original office EVSE, however they put it in my cubicle... Luckily I had a "pre-Better Place" swapping station and was able to leave the vehicle secured in its parking spot.

Yay. We have a LEED "certified" building with 30 hybrid/commute green spaces and 4 EV spaces reserved for the ChargePoint L2 EVSEs and the Telsa EVSE.
But I checked with the building engineer and he gave me the green light to use the 120 vt receptacles as well :D

So far I've just been using the Leaf L1 EVSE plugged in the 120 volt sockets without any issues for supplemental power for errands as needed during the day. (pad lock on the handle button--garage has cameras and is locked at night)

I've left the car plugged in overnight to get a full charge during the work week (I generally take the train 3-4 times a week-and the office pays for the train pass :mrgreen: )

gasmiser1 said:
I've left the car plugged in overnight to get a full charge during the work week (I generally take the train 3-4 times a week-and the office pays for the train pass :mrgreen: )
That's a really good idea! At my previous job I probably would have done something very similar with the availability of public transit.

I've been bugging my employer for 2 years, because I was driving a home-built EV. But now I have a leaf. Still, no power outlet. One of the managers seemed warm to the idea a year ago because he said they were trying to improve the company's "green image" but so far, everytime I bring it up he blows me off.

Ironically, I work for a company that manufactures those tall high-voltage electrical transmission towers. More EVs on the road means more electricity usages, which means more sales for my company. But for some reason the EV charging station is low on the priority list.

Fortunately, I only work 5 miles from home, so I don't really need it. But it would be great to show off to our customers when they come visit our facilities. (our customers are electric companies) so they would see the leaf plugged in right in front of the building.

Yay! Federal employee @ a large GSA-managed building. Building manager said they will be installing 20-30 EV charging stations :mrgreen: as part of their extensive federally-mandated greening of existing facilities. Total number of employees at the building = 2500. Number of LEAFs currently available in my state = 0.

Via ARRA funding, our 40 year old building is getting new energy efficient windows, beefed up insulation, new lighting and the largest geothermal HVAC retrofit in the midwest.

No data on type of charging station or location. Parking space can get to be a bit of a premium at times but I normally commute via public transit.

Pipemajor said:
Yay! Federal employee @ a large GSA-managed building. Building manager said they will be installing 20-30 EV charging stations :mrgreen: as part of their extensive federally-mandated greening of existing facilities. Total number of employees at the building = 2500. Number of LEAFs currently available in my state = 0.

Via ARRA funding, our 40 year old building is getting new energy efficient windows, beefed up insulation, new lighting and the largest geothermal HVAC retrofit in the midwest.

No data on type of charging station or location. Parking space can get to be a bit of a premium at times but I normally commute via public transit.

GSA managed building? What is that? I'ma federal employee in an FAA facility and I'm getting all sorts of "NO's" on even allowing me to use an existing 110v outlet!!! :(

We're in a LEED certified gold building and we're installing solar panels this week. My company also has a line of energy-saving surge protectors (and our founder drives a Tesla and will soon get a Leaf and a Volt), but when I ran the charging stations up the flagpole last year, I was shot down. They want to wait until they're "more popular." I know that someone else here just RAQ'd for a Leaf so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll put EVSEs in this year. I live really close by so I haven't pushed it, but I've spoken to some employees here who are interested in driving an EV but they have a far commute and not being able to charge at work is a real deterrent for them.

malloryk said:
I live really close by so I haven't pushed it, but I've spoken to some employees here who are interested in driving an EV but they have a far commute and not being able to charge at work is a real deterrent for them.
It's always the chicken and egg problem...you need cars to justify the charging stations, and you need charging stations to justify the cars... You should get your coworkers to go on the record with their interest. If you can show the possibility, maybe management will move.

Jimmydreams said:
Pipemajor said:

GSA managed building? What is that? I'ma federal employee in an FAA facility and I'm getting all sorts of "NO's" on even allowing me to use an existing 110v outlet!!! :(

http://www.ryancompanies.com/projects/whipple-federal-building/pager/

adric22 said:
But it would be great to show off to our customers when they come visit our facilities. (our customers are electric companies) so they would see the leaf plugged in right in front of the building.

We're currently doing some work for Waukesha Electric, and I understand that they were well impressed to see an EV sitting in the parking lot when they came to visit! :D

http://www.waukeshaelectric.com/

Back