Charging at work. Yay or Nay?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our facilities manager asked me to write something to forward to the building management concerning EV charging. They are apparently at least partially open to the idea. This was my first crack at it. I'm looking for comments and suggestions from the crowd. Before these suggestions are made, I want to say that I've made a conscious decision NOT to suggest non-J1772 240v charging. I strongly believe that it is a non-starter and would do more harm than good by muddying the waters. I wanted to mention LEED certification, but was afraid I couldn't add anything (since I know nothing) they wouldn't know better. Nor do I know if they’re interested. I also plan on adding a list of pertinent links to the end, which I could use some suggestions on.

I would have loved to have made it more personal, but my commute is under 5 miles, so it just doesn’t sell the idea very well. Well, here it is:

Many businesses are adding Electric Vehicle (EV) charging to their facilities. I'd like to encourage you to take that step. I'm one of a new generation of EV owners. The Nissan LEAF, which I own, is the first of a growing number of new EVs that are much improved over previous cars. They are also being built in much greater numbers than previous EVs. I have seen more EVs on the road in the last two months than I have seen in the previous ten YEARS. I believe you will see a growing number of business owners, employees, and clients wanting to charge their EVs when they are here. Because EVs take some time to charge, they need to be refueled in a different way from traditional cars. Most people will have charging facilities at home. Without any other charging facilities that means they can live, at most, half of the total range of the vehicle from the office. Using the LEAF and a normal freeway commute, for example, an EV driver can live 30-35 miles from the office. That doesn’t leave room for any other use of the car, so a more reasonable maximum commute distance might be 25 miles. Charging during the day changes this dramatically.

The new standard for EV charging is J1772. The J1772 standard is much more universal and robust than previous ones that were mostly supported by individual manufacturers. J1772 is currently supported by the Nissan’s LEAF, Tesla’s Roadster, and by GM's new Volt. Joining them in the next year or two will be Toyota's plug-in Prius, Tesla’s Model S, Ford’s Focus EV and Mitsubishi’s “i”, plus a number of smaller manufacturers. All of these vehicles will be able to use the same J1772 charging facilities. This kind of charging (also called L2) requires a 208v or 240v service and a device called an EVSE. All of the examples below are based on the Nissan LEAF, which I am most familiar, but the numbers presented below are typical for most electric vehicles. The Volt and the Prius are plug-in hybrids. While they have much longer ranges due to their gasoline engines, the ability to charge during the day extends their battery only range in the same way as the pure EVs, and greatly reduces emissions and gasoline consumption.

L2 charging typically adds 10 miles of range per hour spent charging. This means if an EV driver is able to get 6 hours of charging time while at the office, he gains another 60 miles of range, half of which can be used going in each direction. This more than doubles the maximum commute distance for our LEAF owner to 55 miles each way. This would allow EV drivers from almost of all of San Diego county and from southern Orange county to drive here. L2 installations fall into two main categories.

The first are the commercial networks like ChargePoint (http://www.chargepoint.com) and Blink (http://www.blinknetwork.com). These companies install and maintain the equipment, and require users to join their commercial network. They can handling billing if it is desirable to charge fees for EV charging. The other way to do L2 charging is to purchase and install simpler EVSEs that handle vehicle charging without the ability to authorize individual users. If it is desirable to restrict access or charge fees, you can do so by issuing or selling parking permits. For a rundown on L2 EVSE equipment visit http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessory-tracker?ul=listed&type=EVSE&level=2.

EVs can also use common 120v plugs, using an EVSE provided with their vehicle. This is called L1 charging. L1 charging can typically add 3 miles of range per hour of charging. Allowing for 6 hours of charge in a day, that adds 18 miles of range. Instead of 25 miles, our LEAF driver can live up to 34 miles away and still commute in his EV, or use the added range for other needs. This covers most of the local population centers. L1 charging, being just a standard plug, can be added at minimal cost by any electrical contractor and should definitely be part of any EV charging plan.

Thank you for your time and I hope this input is helpful.

Elsewhere on the site there is a concerted effort to get EVSEs at Costco.

I figure that is fine, but if you want to promote EV use, the real impacts will result from getting EVSEs at workplaces so your colleagues who live 40+ miles away can really consider buying EVs. And because they commute so far, it will be a really huge savings on monthly travel costs.

I am working on with my employer on it. I started on this 6+ months ago. Recently, we have had meetings with Ecotality and AV, and are very close to making a decision. I hope it goes forward.

I won't detail our process, because, as far as advice, each employer is different and strategies are institution dependent. I do know that Ecotality in LA area is under some pressure to install up to 800 commercial chargers by the end of the year. There is some incentives -- read possible free units -- to employers who do it sooner rather than later.

No building of L2 charging for employees, no matter what incentives are available. They were very caught up in a "free gas" argument. Cost was apparently not the issue.

I have recently asked if I could make use of existing 120VAC outlets for L1 charging in the parking garage. My request has been forwarded past the regional director (ironically, with alaska as a territory--offices with block heater outlets), and to the national whatever-you-want-to-call him.

The request is now being worded as a request to make use of a company resource ("Energy") for personal use. I don't like how that sounds...as if i wanted to siphon gas occasionally out of the company fleet van, but thats how they treat it. I am sure they will once again get caught up in the "not on my dime" argument...and literally, we are talking less than a dime an hour.

rainnw said:
I am sure they will once again get caught up in the "not on my dime" argument...and literally, we are talking less than a dime an hour.
Less than a dime per hour for 1.44 kW? That means less than 7 cents/kWh. Is electricity really that cheap for businesses up in your neck of the woods? Down here in northern California most businesses pay twice that, at least.

Ray

No paycheck deduction is available to pay for the electricity?, just do a flat rate estimate for 8 hours of L1 charging ( invite the boss out to lunch in your Leaf :) ), make sure you mention the greenwashing publicity benefits..

You could display a certificate on the dash stating that you paid for the electricity. Such a program would have minimal cost for the company, 120V sockets are inexpensive.

planet4ever said:
rainnw said:
I am sure they will once again get caught up in the "not on my dime" argument...and literally, we are talking less than a dime an hour.
Less than a dime per hour for 1.44 kW? That means less than 7 cents/kWh. Is electricity really that cheap for businesses up in your neck of the woods? Down here in northern California most businesses pay twice that, at least.

Ray

Give or take a penny, power is cheap up here.

rainnw said:
They were very caught up in a "free gas" argument. Cost was apparently not the issue..
...snip...
I think its strange how people get caught up in these patterns of thought, but it happens all the time. As I see it, this is on aspect of a "group think" mentality. "It seemed like a good idea at the time." They can't internalize that it is not exactly like "free gas" because overall price is so much lower and the fillup time is so much longer. As EVs become more accepted, EV charging will become an accepted as a standard offering in a normal office building, but the "chicken and egg" problem is that EVs won't be as easily accepted without charging facilities.

Many employers provide "free coffee" (mine does), but I don't like coffee, so I don't get to partake of this benefit, which for the average employee, who drinks a couple cups a day, probably costs as much as the electricity to charge an EV.

Although it is explicitly prohibited in our office lease, we have at least one employee who has an electric heater at their desk. (Desk fans are also prohibited in the lease.) Anyway, a heater has to draw close to what L1 charging would draw.

My boss is very enthusiastic about electric cars and has offered the use of 120v plugs in the parking lot. Considering where I work, a few kwhs in the tank is a drop in the bucket in total power used at my work. It seems everybody I work with is just as excited and keep asking me for rides...
:cool:

facilities boss at my place did a calculation and said the cost of electricity for four chargers would be so tiny that he wouldnt bother with a $3 million electric bill a year.

Our electrical bill is $580 million, but the 'genius' at facilities in charge of installing our charges (est cost 4k/year) will instead charge $2.5/hour, resulting in mucho dust to accumulate in the unused units.

thankyouOB said:
facilities boss at my place did a calculation and said the cost of electricity for four chargers would be so tiny that he wouldnt bother with a $3 million electric bill a year.

tps said:
rainnw said:
I think its strange how people get caught up in these patterns of thought, but it happens all the time. As I see it, this is on aspect of a "group think" mentality. "It seemed like a good idea at the time." They can't internalize that it is not exactly like "free gas" because overall price is so much lower and the fillup time is so much longer. As EVs become more accepted, EV charging will become an accepted as a standard offering in a normal office building, but the "chicken and egg" problem is that EVs won't be as easily accepted without charging facilities.

Many employers provide "free coffee" (mine does), but I don't like coffee, so I don't get to partake of this benefit, which for the average employee, who drinks a couple cups a day, probably costs as much as the electricity to charge an EV.

Although it is explicitly prohibited in our office lease, we have at least one employee who has an electric heater at their desk. (Desk fans are also prohibited in the lease.) Anyway, a heater has to draw close to what L1 charging would draw.

My employer removed free coffee, water, cups, cream, sugar, plates, plastic forks....and then later the dishwasher and hot water since these were no longer needed to "save costs". In another building I worked in, they completely turned out all the lights except if you requested a light to be turned on above your desk. Somehow I suspect asking for 1300 watts an hour is going to be like asking them to turn on the coffee maker hotplate again. The joys of working at a fortune 10 company.

rainnw said:
In another building I worked in, they completely turned out all the lights except if you requested a light to be turned on above your desk.
Well, at least they didn't take your desk and make you sit on the floor. :)

rainnw said:
My employer removed free coffee, water, cups, cream, sugar, plates, plastic forks.
The joys of working at a fortune 10 company.

So... don't? :) True, for some people, that's not an option, but most employers do care about keeping their people.
I work in Mountain View, a couple of blocks from Google... (Btw: Google has built shade roofs for their parking lots, with PV solar cells!) Knowing that there are options for employment is important for any company. The whole point is to take away worries from knowledge workers, so they can worry about their job, rather than dodging out for 45 minutes to get a cup of coffee.

We can't put in a charger, because we sub-lease from a sub-lessee (that got bought by some large company), so the paperwork just won't work out, but there are 120V circuits on the outside I can plug into, and it works well enough for the days when I need to top up or run the A/C before leaving.

Some co-worker said "I love it that you're filling up on the company's dime" but given that the commercial rate is $0.12 per kWh, and our company already provides free coffee, lunch, clif bars, fruit, bagels, ice cream, ... it wasn't a problem when I asked.

Oh, and if you're a kick-ass software engineer, entertainment software product manager, linux sysadmin or QA engineer, and want to work at a place like this, drop me a line with your CV, because we're hiring ;-)

rainnw said:
My employer removed free coffee, water, cups, cream, sugar, plates, plastic forks....and then later the dishwasher and hot water since these were no longer needed to "save costs". In another building I worked in, they completely turned out all the lights except if you requested a light to be turned on above your desk. Somehow I suspect asking for 1300 watts an hour is going to be like asking them to turn on the coffee maker hotplate again. The joys of working at a fortune 10 company.

hmmm do you work for Xerox (oops!! that was a slip!!) because i work for a company that has done the same thing slowly over the past 3 years. when the gas price spike hit in 2008, they cut out almost everything

No charging at an FAA facility...they're working on options, but short of congressional legislation specifically approving it, it's not gonna happen, and that's from the FAA administrator himself.

Now, I have to write each and every congressman/women and ask them to come up with legislation authorizing federal facilities to allow charging from existing outlets as well as create some sort of authorization for facilities to implement charging stations.

I don't want to spend the time doing this, but I will. Sigh. The pains of being an active EV enthusiast.... ;)

I had planned on using an L6-30 plug in our parking lot that no one even knows why it was ever there. It is currently not connected and they had an electrician look at it, but in the end they decided they didn't want to deal with the "risks" of having me plug into it. They won't explain what the "risks" are or could be and wouldn't let me talk about it with the electrician.

So, for now, I wait for the car wash guy to leave and move over to a 120V that he uses for his vacuum cleaner. I never asked if I could use it, I figured after my last issue, I'd rather ask for forgiveness.

Hi folks. I was hoping to get more responses than I did (zero) to my write up to my building management. Either I did so poor a job that no one wants to tell me my baby is ugly, or did so well that it's perfect. I'm going to send it off today or tomorrow, so if anyone can spare a little time...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3290&start=40

It's not exactly necessary for me to charge @ work, but my small software firm leases space from The Irvine Company (insert Empire Stirkes Back theme here). They "support" the movement but I'm not exactly sure what the support entails. It certainly doesn't involve building EVSEs, providing any kind of outlets, or even designating parking. :?

davewill said:
Hi folks. I was hoping to get more responses than I did (zero) to my write up to my building management. Either I did so poor a job that no one wants to tell me my baby is ugly, or did so well that it's perfect. I'm going to send it off today or tomorrow, so if anyone can spare a little time...
It is very well written. One grammatical comment:
All of the examples below are based on the Nissan LEAF, which I am most familiar, but the numbers presented below are typical for most electric vehicles.
That needs a "with" in the central clause, either "with which" or "familiar with".

This may be intentional, however I consider your numbers very conservative. 3 miles and 10 miles per charging hour may be close to right if you are topping off to 100% and driving fast, but in practice most people will do better than that. You may not be able to top off if your battery is almost completely empty, and if it isn't you probably won't need to need to top off completely to make it home.

You have one factual problem, but I'm not sure what you can do about it. It is not true, as you imply, that J1772 means L2. The L1 charging also uses the J1772 connector.

Ray

Back